Thread: carbs and training page

bpatocchi is offline Junior Member

carbs and training

Primal Fuel
    I am a 56 year old male. I have lost lost about 60 pounds of fat in the last 9 months. My triglycerides have gone from about 1200 to under 80. My cholesterol has remained the same but my good cholesterol had gone up. I I started to swim again. when I started the diet. My diet first was Atkins and then I bought the primal blue print and switched to primal. At first when I lost most of my weight I was swimming easy cardio on most days. I soon added short sprints. When I started to get in shape I decided to compete again in masters. I swam as a child all the way through collage. Soon I added hard interval training my workouts were become more and more anaerobic. I swim 50 and 100's which are equal to 220 and 440 in track. I also added a few days of long swims. My friends swim open water, so i swim with them sometimes. On those days We swim 9000 yards easy. It may be similar to running a half marathon, but if you are a swimmer swimming for a early age then swimming for hours is a lot easy than running because your body does not take a beating and your floating in water. Most days I swim about 3000 to 5000 yards hard. I also lift weights for strength 1 or 2 times a week

Now this is my delima. Before I started training hard with interval training I was getting lean and healthy. And my health really improved when I started training to rae. But as the workouts got a bit harder I added more carbs because of what I read in books (including-- 'Swimming Faster', and the ' Paleo Diet for Athletes'. ) What scares me the most is what they say that if you do not get enough carbs your body will begin to burn muscle when your glycogen gets depleted. When I started my diet I ate from 20 to 75 carbs a day. I lost weight easy and found it easy to control my appetite . As I trained harder I went up to about 100 to 150 carbs a day. But as I went up with the carbs my appetite for carbs went up. If i cut the carbs I don't crave them so much. but when I eat about 120 carbs a day I suffer hunger pains. I then gain weight. I look great and my doctor is shocked I do not want to gain weight. What should I do???

primalmontana is offline Senior Member
    Have you actually started gaining weight or are you assuming this is what will happen? Also, what type of carbs are you adding back in? They should primarily come from root vegetables, some fruit and possibly rice or legumes?

If these are causing hunger pains and cravings try adding them back in slowly. Maybe not exceeding 100g for a week or 2 then increasing from there.

bpatocchi is offline Junior Member
    I gained 10 pounds. Tested body fat and it went up. From 13 to 16 %. I eat fruit vegtables and some rice. Thanks

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    "What scares me the most is what they say that if you do not get enough carbs your body will begin to burn muscle when your glycogen gets depleted."

Are you sure this is exactly hat they said? I havnt read those books, but muscle break down is very hard to actualyl achieve. When glucogen gets low it can be replenished via fat metabolism as well... this is the whole point of primal / low-carb. As long as your protein is high, your body will break down dietary proteins and preserve muscle tissue for as long as it can before breaking it down for energy.

Theres got to be a big subjective element in this, everyone is different. Dont do it just because the book said. If you feel good, and can perform without extra carbs then keep it that way. If your body is storing them it may imply it doesnt need them for glycogen?!
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstareddy View Post
    "What scares me the most is what they say that if you do not get enough carbs your body will begin to burn muscle when your glycogen gets depleted."

Are you sure this is exactly hat they said? I havnt read those books, but muscle break down is very hard to actualyl achieve. When glucogen gets low it can be replenished via fat metabolism as well... this is the whole point of primal / low-carb. As long as your protein is high, your body will break down dietary proteins and preserve muscle tissue for as long as it can before breaking it down for energy.

Theres got to be a big subjective element in this, everyone is different. Dont do it just because the book said. If you feel good, and can perform without extra carbs then keep it that way. If your body is storing them it may imply it doesnt need them for glycogen?!
    I can go with this.

To address the OP, the best results I've got with starch inclusion was post-workout, especially when glycogen is depleted, after doing extremely intense activity. There are days, however, I do eat starches, because I like sweet potatoes/white rice.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123