Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal after Gastric Bypass page

meeshar is offline Senior Member

Primal after Gastric Bypass

Primal Fuel
    It was suggested in another thread that we start a new thread here as a support group for those of us who have had Gastric Bypass in the past. So, here it is!

I guess I'll start out with the first question: Are you guys still doing supplements? I take my usual handful of vitamins and supplements daily (bariatric multi-vitamin, probiotic, B-vitamins, iron, calcium, fish oil) but I feel that at 7 years out I'm getting enough protein from my Primal diet that I don't need to do protein shakes anymore. How about you guys?

PterodactyGirl is offline Junior Member
    I am new around here, but I will reply. My surgeon forbids shakes/liquid calories after 8 weeks post op -- we were supposed to get all of our protein through food sources. I am 1 1/2 years out and have been stalled for a while, so I am doing primal/paleo in hopes of getting to my goal and being healthier.

To be honest, the way I was eating post-surgery was very primal/paleo anyway -- with the exception of dairy. The nutritionists wanted us to use low fat (!!) dairy as a major source of our protein. Now, I am dropping the dairy (especially the whey protein shakes which I had added back recently in an attempt to break my stall). Pre-surgery, I tried many low-carb plans without success -- perhaps it is the use of cheese, whey, yogurt, etc. stopping any results? *bonks self on head* I wish I had figured that out before surgery!

I have to limit my veggies on primal/paleo in order to have enough room for the protein (since our tummies are so small) and I keep track of how much protein I get to make sure I get enough.

I will ALWAYS take supplements - B12 is vital due to the way our intestines were modified. I also take a bariatric multi, probiotics, iron, calcium, fish oil, a ton of D3, resveratrol, Vitamin C, etc.
    Last edited by PterodactyGirl; 06-10-2012 at 02:45 PM. Reason: fix typos

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    I had the VSG about 2 years ago, so not quite the same thing as I don't have to worry about fat malabsorption or anything like that.
    I started at 208 lbs (highest weight ever 218) and was at my goal weight in less than 6 months. Got to 135 for like 2 days, and I've been maintaining around 140-143 for almost 1.5 years now. With primal, I was able to drop into the 130s again.
    I almost never take any supplements, at this point I have no trouble consuming 150 g protein through diet alone. Once in a blue moon I'll have a whey shake post-workout. I also pop a few fish oil pills every couple of days.

Awesome, glad to hear there are others out there going Primal and doing well with it. I dropped the shakes a couple of years ago, mostly because so many had artificial sweeteners then, and haven't really felt like I needed them because I can get plenty of protein from my diet now. I'm familiar with VSG, sometimes I wish I'd had that instead of RNY, but hindsight is 20/20 and it's was pretty uncommon then anyway. I had some regain (not horrid, but back into overweight territory) but have been slowly and surely losing it, first by going back to the post-op diet which was somewhat Primal in it's low-carb, anti-bread/starch way, and now by eating Primally.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Re: artificial sweeteners and other chemicals in shakes, I should share that I recently came across Whey Gourmet Naturelle brand. I've had Whey Gourmet's regular shakes before and they were very good, albeit expensive, so I was intrigued. I read the label and there's nothing but whey protein, cane juice solids, and stevia, with a small amount of the regular stabilizers (guar gum, etc). Whey Gourmet | The World's Best Tasting Protein Shake My store only had the vanilla flavor, which I'm generally lukewarm towards. I bought a jar regardless and it's very good - considering it's not one of my favorite flavors!

Looking on their website, they have some other pretty cool flavors, like matcha green tea...I'd love to try that one! I just gotta find a store that carries that in Canada, whether brick-and-mortar or online.

geokatgirl is offline Junior Member
    Hey friends!! Just ventured back into the old thread and noticed a new link! Hurray. Doing well with Primal, it really keeps me away from the flour and baked goods that got me in fat. I am over 3 yrs now and down 170 lbs and holding. I have had a bit of regain, but within 10 lbs, but I am starting to look defined and have good energy at the gym.

I supplement and will always take vitamins.. iron deficiencies can crop up way beyond your surgery date. I also still use one meal as a protein supplement which gets me to a 40:30:30 ratio of protein, fat and carbs.

dustycotton is offline Junior Member
    Hello Everyone - I had RNY gastric bypass May 6, 2000 at age 21. I was 300 lbs the day of surgery (5'6"). I lost down to 155 lbs and maintained that for 2-3 years. Bad habits and laziness, plus a pregnancy, and slowly my weight started creeping back up.

Here I am close to the 13th anniversary of my surgery and I now weigh 265 lbs. I'm so scared that I weigh this much now. I've contemplated doing primal for a while now, but I'm not much of a red meat eater, I mostly eat chicken and fish. So not sure how this will fit with that. Plus, I just don't know where to start. Slowly, making a few small changes here and there, or just go all in. No matter, I need to do something to stop my weight gain and lose weight that will work with my special diet needs due to RNY.

I already do not drink soda (never got back into that after surgery) and I make my own Almond Milk because I don't digest regular milk very well. I do love cheese and yogurt. Not much of a veggie eater, especially salad, but fruits, berries, nuts, seeds, etc. I do like. I love to cook, but don't make the time for it.

As for exercise, I have a 8 hour, M-F desk job, so no built-in exercise at work. I also am going to school online full-time, so spend a lot of time at home at my desk writing papers. Exercise has become non-existent and I know I need to fix that, but again, just don't know where to start or how.

Any advice from fellow gastric bypasser's and how you started this way of eating and exercise would be greatly appreciated. I need to lose weight again and keep it off for good for my health and happiness, and for my family!

Ditching gluten was my first step, I had been suspecting gluten intolerance for a long time and got a big YES when I completely eliminated it. No more digestive issues, no more "bypass gas", no more reactive hypoglycemia, no more joint pain, eczema, the list goes on. Accidental gluten makes me feel terrible for 2 days now, so it's a huge motivator. I don't feel weird and woozy after every meal anymore, which is wonderful. Once I figured that out, I cleaned out the cabinets and even my 20% treats are still always gluten-free. Also, probiotics are a MUST for post-ops, our altered anatomy is very susceptible to developing gut flora imbalances and bacterial overgrowth. I do a lot better with dairy when my guts are behaving, but I think the surgery renders most of us at least somewhat lactose intolerant. These days I limit my dairy to cream, cheese, and the occasional yogurt, though I'm giving that up starting Monday. I'm doing a strict 30 day reset because I've stalled, likely b/c I haven't been active this winter, eat too much dairy and fruit, and have too many gluten-free cheats like rice and potatoes. My daughter is gluten intolerant too and since she's underweight I keep some GF treats around for her (GF cereal, crackers, etc.) and those things are sooooo tempting because while they won't make me sick, they will make me fatter. ::sigh::

Are you not a fan of the taste of red meat, or does it not sit well with you? Have you tried grass-fed beef? Also, I can see this way of eating being difficult if you're not a fan of veggies, have you tried different ways of cooking them? I hated asparagus until I learned how to roast it in the oven with olive oil and parmesan. Not fearing fat helps out veggies a lot too--steamed vegetables are just meh. Salad is seasonal for me, I can't stand the idea during the winter, but once the weather warms up it's more appetizing. I have to watch fruit though, it can be as bad as straight sugar for me.

With your busy and mostly sedentary schedule, finding time for both cooking and exercise might be tough. Doing something like setting aside Sunday afternoons for food prep (chopping, portioning, pre-cooking things like chicken breasts for lunches, fritatta muffins for breakfasts, etc.) would help with the cooking part. As for exercise, I need to get on that wagon myself. I was a lot more active when I first started Primal because we lived a different lifestyle (full-time RV life) but now that we're back in a house I don't have the built-in exercise and it's starting to show. My husband and I are trying to work out a schedule where we do the bodyweight exercises at home (we found a pull-up bar at a yard sale, woot) and walk/sprint a few days a week. He's in the same boat as you--sedentary day job, and full-time school online, so I know it can be hard to work that in. I'm a SAHM, but I homeschool. One thing that I did that might work for you is I have a cheap recumbent bike and added a surfshelf to it for my laptop, so whenever I "sit down" to do things on my computer, I'm actually doing a little exercise.

Anyway, hope I helped a little, I'm 8 years out from surgery and have been Primal for over a year so if you have any questions I hope I can help. I am definitely a Primal convert--so many of the health issues that bugged me post-surgery are gone now that I'm eating better, I can't imagine going back even if I didn't lose another pound.

GoingCocoNuts is offline Junior Member
    I just stumbled upon this and I'm happy to have found others that have "gone Paleo" after gastric bypass. I haven't fully committed to a Paleo lifestyle, but I believe that is what I should do to get everything back on track and continue to be healthier and happier. My surgery was in Oct. 2008 and I still struggle with reactive hypoglycemia (especially during pregnancy, which I am currently in my second pregnancy since surgery) and other nutritional deficiencies. I'd love to find an actual group, on Facebook, perhaps, of people who have had RNY and who are going or have gone Paleo. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

GoingCocoNuts is offline Junior Member
    Sorry for a second reply, but I really would love to know what types of supplements (food based, non-GMO, all that good stuff) you all take. I've been trying to find something for such a long time that I don't have to take 6 pills 2x daily because that just makes me gag every time and I end up skipping them. What are your favorite brands of supplements? Is there anyone here who has had RNY and doesn't take supplements anymore, since going Paleo, and who has their labs drawn yearly that actually ISN'T deficient in anything?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast