Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal after Gastric Bypass page 2

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoingCocoNuts View Post
    Sorry for a second reply, but I really would love to know what types of supplements (food based, non-GMO, all that good stuff) you all take. I've been trying to find something for such a long time that I don't have to take 6 pills 2x daily because that just makes me gag every time and I end up skipping them. What are your favorite brands of supplements? Is there anyone here who has had RNY and doesn't take supplements anymore, since going Paleo, and who has their labs drawn yearly that actually ISN'T deficient in anything?
    I still take Bariatric Advantage, but switched to capsule form (it is 6 pills but they're small, I take 3 in the AM and 3 in the evening) just to make it easier to put in a pill carrier. Any time I've gone off of supplements, I've had issues--for example I switched to Celebrate for a while, which doesn't contain potassium, and ended up with some heart trouble because I became very potassium deficient and had to take the rx horsepills, ugh. Since then, I've been careful and don't go off plan too much. BA vitamins aren't perfect, but they do state: "There is no wheat, gluten, egg, or dairy in our formulas. We also do not include ingredients such as starch, talc, vegetable oils, waxes, or chemical dyes." I am still searching though, the GMO stuff bothers me a lot. My supplement line up: BA multis, methyl b12 sublingual (every other day b/c the brand has a high dose), ProFerrin heme iron (wish it didn't have artificial coloring, but there aren't many choices out there and it's the ONLY iron that actually gets my numbers up and keeps them up without destroying my digestion), a Cal/Mag/Potassium combo (Country Life), D3 gelcap, Barlean's fish oil, and ox bile (I had my gallbladder removed 3 mos after my RNY). Still searching for a good calcium supplement, though I wonder if my body was telling me I was overdoing it because I just can't tolerate even calcium citrate. I wish I could say I have great labs, but we moved and I haven't found a new doctor yet. I can definitely feel certain deficiencies though from experience (particularly iron, if I had to guess I'd say I'm on the low side right now but not dangerous).

It's interesting that your reactive hypoglycemia worsened during pregnancy, I had the opposite happen when I was pregnant with my daughter, though I wasn't Primal then. Regardless, going Primal has pretty much cured my RH, I've only had a few episodes and they were usually due to my own stupidity--eating way too many starchy carbs or sugar at one time.

A FB group would be awesome, I'll have to see if I can set something up. Ms. PaleO Eats (Orleatha Smith) Level Health and Nutrition is also a post-op and has a FB page/group.

Speaking of, she just posted in reference to post-ops today. Level Health and Nutrition

pattisun is offline Junior Member

Smile Supplements

Quote Originally Posted by GoingCocoNuts View Post
    Sorry for a second reply, but I really would love to know what types of supplements (food based, non-GMO, all that good stuff) you all take. I've been trying to find something for such a long time that I don't have to take 6 pills 2x daily because that just makes me gag every time and I end up skipping them. What are your favorite brands of supplements? Is there anyone here who has had RNY and doesn't take supplements anymore, since going Paleo, and who has their labs drawn yearly that actually ISN'T deficient in anything?
    I had my RNY bypass in 2001, high-300, low 140. Right now I'm at 162, been maintaining this weight for about 7 years now. As I get older the extra 20 pounds keep my face full--with all the saggy skin I was looking older than I deserved.

I finally found supplements easy to take and affordable. I take Nature Made full strength minis. They have a daily multi, omega 3, b energy, immune support. They are EASY to take gel caps, no aftertaste. Affordable, you can sign up online to get NatureMade coupons, my Albertsons grocery put them on sale and so does my RiteAid. I had NO after surgery support and have been suffering with multi complications ever since. Since I've been on these my bloodwork comes back within range levels. No more vitamin deficiencies (except protein and calcium challenge).

ksettle70 is offline Junior Member
    I had RNY on March 7, 2003. High 325, low 175. I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis which is what helped the insurance company approve me for the surgery. My weight loss after surgery was very disappointing. It was over a week before any weight came off and I was not eating solids and had done my research with a friend so I knew what was high quality. I had lost down to 284 before surgery. So, all in all, it took 14 months, but I briefly saw 175. Then it started to go up. I read somewhere that RNY briefly alters the flora in your gut to help the good flora take over for a bit. I am a big fan of flora. I think all my good flora were killed when I was 7 years old by docs who put me on antibiotics for a year. My 2nd grade school pic shows a chubby face for the first time. I don't regret my surgery, in fact, that keeps me from catapulting back to over 3 large. I have tried everything, but the weight keeps creeping back.

About 6 months ago, I googled "natural alternatives for thyroid disease" and the advice that I found was drink Kombucha tea and give up wheat. I started researching and brewing my own KTea at home. Of course, the blog's with the KTea recipes and gluten free recipes lead me to ElanasPantry and eventually to MDA. As I learned more, I cut out grain's as well. I couldn't decide if I thought corn was a vegetable or grain, so I hung onto it for a while, but the fact that it was GMO? UGH. Finally, about 2 weeks ago, I read, "It Starts With Food" by the Hartwigs. It was like light was shining through a stained glass window onto my Kindle. That is probably the one point when I felt, YES! I AM ON THE RIGHT TRACK.

I have ordered and taken all of my Primal Flora, but now I am looking for something cheaper. My kitchen is full of my "science experiments" which I would love to share with peeps, but everyone thinks I am weird about my food and they just dismiss me. Oh well, my weight is decreasing, very slowly, loose .6 lbs, gain back 1.2 lbs the next day, then down 2.0 lbs. Crazy. But I am now down 10 lbs. What a struggle! However, I am comfortable living this lifestyle. I try to eat offal once a week (OK, close, I like Boar's Head light Liverwurst. Processed! I know but it is the best I can do.) I make my own fermented salsa and try to eat 1-2 cups per week. I have Kimchi fermenting now. Can't wait! I make beef bone broth every two weeks, don't really like the taste so I sneak it in to food to fool myself. I rant about the evils of soybean oil and why is it in every-fricking-thing? I make my own mayo, it's the bomb. How could you not love it with bacon. Bacon makes the fat girl in my soooo happy!

So anywhooo, we are very tight with money this summer, so I am turning to wonderful eggs. Baby chicken building blocks.
    I had these wonderful pickled buffalo eggs. Amazing. I am forcing myself to eat ground beef, veal, pork, but I don't like the texture of ground meat (even hormone free and grass- fed). If I could live on fish, chicken and steak, I would be happy, but my BF loves meatloaf. So I load it with veggies so I can deal.

All in all, if people would have been smarter over the past decade about processed GMO food, maybe I would not have had the surgery, but I did, and here I am. Primal eating agrees with this foodie! I really would be in heaven if I could go to the BACONPALOOZA in VA to meat Rob Wolfe and the others... (meat was intentional there folks)
    Last edited by ksettle70; 08-03-2013 at 05:36 PM.

chyara is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by meeshar View Post
    A FB group would be awesome, I'll have to see if I can set something up. Ms. PaleO Eats (Orleatha Smith) Level Health and Nutrition is also a post-op and has a FB page/group.
    I just started a FB Group so that we can all share our woes and triumphs.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1458403741046528/

Uawrn is offline Junior Member

Post Just starting

I am just starting to look a Paleo. I actually have had a bowel resection (2 foot of colon gone). and two gastric by passes (the first doctor really screwed up). So I do take supplements my B12 and iron are constantly low. Although I have lost 140 lb would like to lose 20 to 30 additional lbs. My question to everyone is how do you do the veggies? I have to be very careful with veggies the do not sit well with my stomach. Will I be able to use paleo, feel better and succeed with changing how I eat?

Cunning100 is offline Junior Member
    Hi... Is anyone still active in this group? Or has it moved to another topic?

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

There is the facebook group now, but I am still here, just not as active on the forums as I used to be. Not sure about everyone else.

sherrib4health is offline Junior Member
    Is anyone still on this thread? I'm actually beginning my journey to gastric bypass or sleeve. I have been Paleo for over a year with a LOT of slips. Which is why I'm considering the surgery. Again. I've traveled down the road 6 times already and never went through with it. I believe now that it might be a necessary tool for me.

Anyway, before I get too deep into things, I just wanted to make sure people were still posting here! Thank you! All of what I've read so far has been extremely helpful.

Cunning100 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    yes well--I am new to this site.. I had a roux-en-y about 11 years ago -- the smartest thing I ever did for myself-- lost a20 lbs with the surgery and have kept off 100 for the 11 years-- i am investigating primal due to the buzz about it being helpful for immune disorders-- as having been diagnosed with MS last year
    Why do you keep backing out of the surgery?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast