Thread: HELP! what to eat at a Chinese page

badbunny is offline Senior Member

HELP! what to eat at a Chinese

Primal Fuel
    I have been requested to entertain some VIP guests at work and they are adamant they want to go to a Chinese Restaurant. I gave up Chinese a while back just because I don't like their liberal use of MSG....anyway, I have to go and I am racking my brains to think of the least damaging eats!!

Help
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    There are some dishes out there you can get at Chinese restaurants that are little more than steamed meat/veggies and possibly some rice. See if there are any items like this on the menu. And as far as MSG goes - I'd make that your 2nd priority - avoiding breaded/deep-fried dishes cooked in unknown oils should be top priority - a little MSG is far less important than the above. But looked for the steamed meat/veggies.

Anyhow, I've been in the same spot at work. I'd strongly suggest seeing if you can get a copy of the menu ahead of time, so you can form a plan. Makes it easier if you're not frantically searching while your guests are waiting to order.

Marion C Thao is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsa23 View Post
    There are some dishes out there you can get at Chinese restaurants that are little more than steamed meat/veggies and possibly some rice. See if there are any items like this on the menu. And as far as MSG goes - I'd make that your 2nd priority - avoiding breaded/deep-fried dishes cooked in unknown oils should be top priority - a little MSG is far less important than the above. But looked for the steamed meat/veggies.

Anyhow, I've been in the same spot at work. I'd strongly suggest seeing if you can get a copy of the menu ahead of time, so you can form a plan. Makes it easier if you're not frantically searching while your guests are waiting to order.
    I am agree with your reply.... Good thinking...

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Meat and veggies!! Stick to that combo and skip the processed carbs that come with it. Take some omega 3's afterwards. You'll be fine. It won't be nearly as good as a good home cooked real food meal but you'll be ok.

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    A lot of the chinese joints around here offer prawn cocktails ... though they are labelled shrimp cocktails, it's like the one's with say 10 prawns and a center dish of some kind of sauce. you could get a few of those if you really want to go hardcore and stay away from msg etc. mine also has an octopus salad that is essentially little octopuses steamed in vinegar with pepper flakes. and sometimes they also have oysters and mussels on the half-shell.

you'll definitely be overpaying for low-quality seafood if you get it at a chinese restaurant, but if you are really concerned with msg (it makes me very sick to eat it) it's a safe route to take. i think not being able to tolerate MSG is pretty common and chinese restaurant staff, and your co-workers, would not think it too strange to make a choice based on that... (if you are concerned with such a thing)
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Also, ask for the sauce on the side. That way your meal is not drowning in a corn syrup and soy sauce mess.

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for all the advice, I suppose if nothing else it will become a talking point which will allow me to evangelise
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein