SwissChard.jpg
This recipe is a spin off of the traditional Eastern European dish, Stuffed Cabbage, which typically consists of a ground beef mixture wrapped in cooked cabbage leaves. Swiss chard leaves are fairly thick and can withstand the manipulation of rolling that is necessary for this recipe.

Swiss chard is one of those vegetables that gets chewed on a lot in my garden so I typically have a handful of leaves with holes in them that are no good for filling and rolling. I get around this by taking those leaves, chopping them up, sautéing them and adding them to my ground beef mixture. This adds a more dramatic flavor to the rolls and you don’t have to waste the leaves that are less the perfect.

Ingredients

• 10 Large Swiss Chard leaves for rolling
  • 5-8 Swiss Chard leaves (to add to ground beef mixture)
  • 1 tbs. olive oil
  • 1 garlic clove minced
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 tsp. parsley
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • 1 tsp. basil
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/4 cup of diced onion
  • 1 egg
  • 10 oz. tomato sauce

Instructions

• In a large bowl add ground beef, parsley, oregano, basil, garlic powder, onion and egg and mix well
  • Chop up the 5-8 Swiss chard leaves that are to be added to the ground beef mixture (ribs removed)
  • Heat oil in a pan
  • Sauté garlic
  • Add chopped Swiss chard and sauté until fully cooked
  • Add salt and pepper to taste
  • Take the sautéed Swiss chard mixture and add to ground beef mixture
  • Take each of the Swiss chard leaves and cut down each side of the rib essentially removing the rib and leaving 2 halves of the leaf
  • Take a 9×12 baking dish and cover the bottom with a layer of tomato sauce
  • To create the rolls: Overlap 2 leaf halves and put about 3 spoonfuls of meat mixture in the center. Next pull one side up and over the mixture and tightly roll it up leaving the seam side down.
  • Place completed rolls in the baking dish and pour additional tomato sauce over the rolls
  • Cover with tinfoil and cook for 30 minutes at 350