Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodbye to evil chemicals! page 2

hulahoop is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Wow Katie that's so good to hear!! I can't wait to see if I can reduce them x

Day 1 almost down...

I've enjoyed the food today but this evening have been craving something really sweet (which I haven't had). I've brought myself up to bed as I feel a bit short tempered and don't want to snap at anyone

Today I have eaten:

B- bacon, egg and mushroom
    some blackberries

L- chicken tikka masala (recipe off this site, oh my, it's delicious!!)
    brocolli and swede

T- steak, mushrooms and onions

I was going to have an apple but according to paleotrack this sends my omega 6 too high for the day and I don't want to screw my first day up! This is an education for me as I wasn't aware of omega 3 and 6 differences etc so i'm learning! I just need to work out how to eat more omega 3 tomorrow

I've felt comfortably full today and haven't had 'the shakes' from getting hungry like I sometimes did. That said, i'm really hoping this sweet craving calms down after a few days

Does my diet today look ok? Anything I should consider? Thanks x

Day 2: I woke with an almighty headache it's verging on a migraine. I couldn't face getting up straight away so I lay there for a bit until I felt well enough to get up.

Breakfast helped me feel a little better, I am planning a very quiet day and thankfully I don't need to be anywhere.

I dreamt about sugar and sweets ha ha I rarely ate sweets before! In the dream there was a pile of sweets and I took one and my mum saw me and she told me to put it back. Psychologists would have a field day with that one!

I'm going to have 2-3 pieces of fruit today I think.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    The first week or two sucks, just so you know. After you get over the "carb flu" you should feel much better and have more energy. This stage is just your body fighting you over making the switch.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Thanks Rita...I wondered if I would get some sort of withdrawal, just wasn't expecting it so quickly! I also stopped diet pepsi (I had a one a day addiction!) so I think i'm feeling that already.

I was exhausted last night and dropped off quite quickly but within an hour I was awake and my restless leg syndrome was being RIDICULOUS! I almost got out of bed and tried to sleep standing up it was that bad not quite.

Day 2:

Well my head has been particularly sore today but i've got through it so i'm rather pleased with myself.

Menu today:

B- bacon, scrambled egg, onion and mushroom
    L- chicken tikka masala with cabbage, asparagus and swede
    T- baked chicken, asparagus, tomato, courgette, onion, mushroom and cajun spices
    snack - banana

I know I could probably eat more, i'm just trying not to snack unnecessarily.

I can afford another lazy day tomorrow but I hope the head clears for Sunday as I have to work and face people!

I ordered a couple of books (Paleo and PB) which I am working my way through. Things are making a bit more sense and i'm starting to understand how to get a decent balance of foods.

That's all from me today x

My restless legs were being crazy again last night and I had real trouble sleeping, waking every hour.

I was a bit stuck for what to have for breakfast, as I hear bacon shouldn't be overdone. So I went against CW and had a pork loin chop with mushrooms and scrambled egg. It was actually far nicer than bacon so I think i've found my breakfast of choice!

I've found out we're going for dinner next Friday so this will be a big test. I just hope there will be something on the menu I can eat. I'm thinking a big steak and veg. I would have previously had a lemonade to drink but I think I will have a glass of water with lemon in it. Not that i'm planning far too far ahead

I just know that i'm an 'all or nothing' kind of person and I don't want to keep jumping on and off the wagon. I've got to keep 100% for as long as is possible. My friend decided she was going to follow PB/Paleo with me and whilst I was busy planning before I started she jumped straight in. She has already had lasagne, chips, chocolate and toast! I don't see the point in doing that...i've lent her my book to see if it makes more sense to her, but I think she's bored already!
    Last edited by hulahoop; 05-05-2012 at 03:56 AM.

Day 3 almost down and it hasn't been as hard as i thought it would be.

My OH works nights and came to bed about 5am. I sat up in bed (3/4 still asleep) and asked him if he had managed to source any good sausage meat!!! I couldn't understand why he was laughing and i started trying to tell him how most sausages are full of nasties and i was looking for some decent meat! It took us a while to stop laughing and actually get back to sleep

Today i've had:
    B- pork loin chop, scrambled egg and mushroom
    L - roasted chicken, courgette, mushroom, asparagus, garlic and broccoli with a tbsp olive oil and plenty of cajun spices
    T- roast chicken, red cabbage and broccoli
    snack - blackberries and a handful of macadamia nuts

My head has been fine for most of the day but it's getting sore now so i'll be heading to bed soon.

I've been using paleotrack.com to weigh and record my food, just to make sure i'm getting the balance right. I went over my omega 6 today, will have to investigate how to bring up omega 3 without losing much meat as it seems to be the meat that keeps the hunger pangs away.

Day 4:

I slept dreadfully last night at 6am i was convinced i wouldn't be well enough to go to work but after a little bit more sleep and some breakfast i went. I'm glad i did too, it was distracting. Since i've been home i've had a nice lie down. Can't wait for the sleep disturbance to END!!

B- pork loin chop, mushrooms, scrambled egg
    snack - banana, strawberries,
    L- i had a late one, chicken, avocado (mmm lovely) and another pork loin chop
    T - will be a nice piece of roast lamb with some sort of veg

I did notice a sugar spike after strawberries, and then a crash! My blood sugars have overall been a lot better since eating this way and the strawberries are the first time this has happened. I couldn't wait to get some chicken and pork down me after that!!

All in all, i'm very happy with the way things are going...just need to get the first 2 weeks down so then i'll hopefully feel a bit better! I WILL persevere though. I'm actually appreciating food a lot more and not just eating quickly to get a 'fix'.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Sleep issues are common when you start primal, so try to hang in there. If you get desperate some people find a tsp of honey an hour or so before bed can help.

Regarding magnesium - you could try a topical magnesium brine. You can rub it on your legs - again, usually an hour or so before bed to help calm the muscles and sleep better. It bypassed the GI tract so no issues with dose.

I had the occasional migraine before going primal (nothing like what you have though). I have not had any since going primal, adding magnesium, and giving up all caffeine.

Good luck
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Thanks for your reassurance Jammies...as long as i know sleep disturbance is common and will pass then i can put up with it for now...thanks for the honey tip, i'll try that if i get desperate.

Pleased to hear your migraines have disappeared since going primal....it's so encouraging to hear!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast