Thread: As America's waistline expands, costs soar page

Grok is offline Senior Member

As America's waistline expands, costs soar

Primal Fuel
    (Reuters) - U.S. hospitals are ripping out wall-mounted toilets and replacing them with floor models to better support obese patients. The Federal Transit Administration wants buses to be tested for the impact of heavier riders on steering and braking. Cars are burning nearly a billion gallons of gasoline more a year than if passengers weighed what they did in 1960.

The nation's rising rate of obesity has been well-chronicled. But businesses, governments and individuals are only now coming to grips with the costs of those extra pounds, many of which are even greater than believed only a few years ago: The additional medical spending due to obesity is double previous estimates and exceeds even those of smoking, a new study shows.
    As America's waistline expands, costs soar | Reuters

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    But...this is exactly what they want. It's one big giant conspiracy

Think how much soylent green the Elites can produce when everyone is 400+ lbs heavier than they're supposed to be!?

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Not surprised. I felt, all the dietary guidelines was a guise to keep the health industry going: Eat the wrong foods, while passing them off as good; sell the mantra, "you're lazy, eat less, move more;" developing health conditions over time; then pop a pill, when prescribed.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    Not surprised. I felt, all the dietary guidelines was a guise to keep the health industry going: Eat the wrong foods, while passing them off as good; sell the mantra, "you're lazy, eat less, move more;" developing health conditions over time; then pop a pill, when prescribed.
    Of course you have to add in the myth that the pill is extending your life beyond what any human has ever experienced before because back in the caveman days we all died before age 30.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Agree.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    I felt, all the dietary guidelines was a guise to keep the health industry going: Eat the wrong foods, while passing them off as good; sell the mantra, "you're lazy, eat less, move more;" developing health conditions over time; then pop a pill, when prescribed.
    That's rather too complex a scenario for anyone to plan out in advance.

Rather dietary guidelines were initially driven by bad guesses by people like Ancel Keys. What keeps them going now is probably special interests -- but not the interests of the pharmaceutical industry, rather the interests of the food producers. The USDA guidelines essentially tell Americans to eat what the U.S. grows. No one wants to disturb that -- and doubtless there's lobbying behind the scenes, too.

But of course the pharmaceutical companies have an unfortunate influence on the whole scene. The answer to many, perhaps most, of our health problems is almost certainly "eat right". But how do you convince doctors of that? Doctors only care about properly controlled studies -- anything else just isn't science to them. Pharmaceutical companies have deep pockets for funding rather slanted "research" that pushes their products. But try getting money for a study on dietary intervention. Who's going to fund that?

An example. Dr. Terry Wahls is defeating secondary progressive multiple sclerosis -- something the exports said couldn't be done -- with a Paleo diet. She's also conducting a trial of the treatment that worked for her with other sufferers. She's got some money to fund that from charities; she has to appeal for the rest on the internet:

Terry Wahls MD | Defeating Progressive Multiple Sclerosis without Drugs | MS Recovery | Food As Medicine

Sure, everything isn't "working right" but have to think less in terms of a conspiracy and more in terms of interest groups using what leverage they have to advance their own interests, as and when they can, and on a more opportunistic and unplanned level.

You also have to be less pessimistic.

Robb Wolf mentioned on a recent podcast that the city of Reno in Nevada now has a program for screening all police, firefighters, and public servants. If they show signs of metabolic derangement, they're put on a Paleo diet and prescribed suitable exercise. The point here is that the city has tried everything else: it went with the "conventional wisdom" and the problem was that it just didn't work. This new program works, and it is saving the city shedloads of money. They're not likely to be alone in this for long. You think the police chiefs and fire chiefs don't talk to those in other cities?

Primal Living is on the march. Since it works, it can't do much other than gain traction with time.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Lewis, for perspective and focus. Dr. Wahl's story is indeed awesome. I find it cool to know there is one city organization, at least, going with a paleo option, instead of pill popping, or conventional nutrition.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

A little bit off subject, I read a magazine ad saying that chickens, cows, pigs, and even fish enjoy a healthy diet with soy based foods and that agriculture accounts for 98% of soybean business...brought to you by the soybean growers of Alabama.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I find it cool to know there is one city organization, at least, going with a paleo option, instead of pill popping, or conventional nutrition.
    Decentralization is generally a good thing. It changes the incentives for the various different interest groups. At the very least, a local mistake doesn't fuck it up for everybody. In other words, propaganda is fine until it becomes bad policy.