Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: An interesting observation... page 3

Prowler Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I don't know anything about futile cycles except for what I just read on wikipedia, but it looks like one of those homeostatic mechanisms that I referenced in an earlier post. The body burns off extra energy as heat.

That's why the "calories in, calories out model" is incomplete. It is based on the 1st law of thermodynamics, but forgets the 2nd.

By the way dfast, your diet sounds amazing. I might just have to copy it.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member

"I read a brief description about futile cycles but would like to know in more detail (and in lay terms) how it would play out in this situation? "

There is an explanation of futile cycles by Michael Deades here:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/metabolic-advantage/thermodynamics-and-the-metabolic-advantage/

It is in the italicised section under 'Hi Ryan'. There was too much to copy and paste.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member

Thanks for that link, Jo...really interesting info!

Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member

By the way kennelmom - thanks for the earlier comment about what Mark says in his book about calorie counting - I guess I should buy a copy!

dfast is offline Member

@Prowler: I def. recommend this kind of diet if you're 'into' food - it just amazes me, as I said, that I can eat so much but feel so lean and light.

Tarlach is offline Member
    It's a pity about all the dairy. It won't help weight loss (and It's not good for you).

I have seen this experiment done with real animal fat and it works much better.

5 weeks of eating 4000 calories a day (of 80%+ fat) resulted in 6.7kg of body fat lost.
    The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    yeah that jeff guy did it, and i dont buy it. once the body either adapts to fat burning and converting protein or glucose burning...it is still round about the calories you consume... i can gain weight on zero carb and i can gain weight on PB... one hinders my recovery and the other doesnt

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123