Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ex-Vegatarian Ready to Go Primal page

CaveGirl Guest

Shop Now

Hey all

I'm female, 25 and a heafty 157lbs (only 5'2)

I am rather muscular though, so I know its not all fat. Most of my muscles are in my lower half (butt and legs). I am looking to drop some fat and increase lean muscle. I was a vegetarian for about 11 yrs and ate a lot of processed foods, tons and tons of fruit and soy stuff and carbs tended to be the bulk of my meals.

Needless to say I was fine in the begining but as it progresses year after year I put on more weight, had less restful sleep and got major sicknesses regularly (last winter I had two major respiratory infections and 3 cases of strep throat to give you an idea).

as of January I began eating meat again (local, farm raised stuff) and I've been steadily feeling better. I am still bigger than i would like, not as energetic as I should be and sleeping through the whole night is still rare.

My first expsoure to eating primal had to come from Nina Planck's book "Real Food: What to Eat and Why", and two weeks ago I found MDA. I want to give primal living a go but have kinda lost on where to begin.

Any ideas would be a great help to this budding cave-girl

CaveGirl Guest

Oh, and I meant to say "Ex-Vegetarian"

Lord knows I did it long enough to know how to spell it, lol.

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

Welcome from a fellow ex-vegetarian

NeoPaleo is offline Junior Member

Hey there CaveGirl! I'm an ex-vegan - although I was only a vegan for about 1.5 years, not 11 (thankfully!!).

I started by eliminating all bread and wheat pasta (I still occasionally had quinoa pasta, but that's just because I still had a box.) And, of course, bringing in some meat. At first it was all lean meat (chicken, fish, lean beef). Oh, and some eggs - mostly egg white. I was still having a hard time accepting that fat was good for me.

I wasn't eating dairy, so that wasn't an issue. I've actually brought that back into my diet, but it's not an important part at all. Mostly it's just a splash of milk in my coffee (I had been using Silk).

After awhile, I started to phase out rice and oatmeal and started eating a lot more eggs - the whole egg. I would still have rice and oatmeal once in a while, maybe once or twice a week, but replaced rice with just more meat and veggies and oatmeal with more eggs.

(Always organic, free-range eggs. And organic, grass-fed meat as much as possible. Also, never farm-raised fish.)

Eventually, I got used to the idea of fat and started in with more fatty meats like bacon, chicken legs with the skin, ribs, etc.

Also, since eating this way (lots of fat), I've noticed I can go a LONG time without eating and not get hungry. I'd say I don't even eat breakfast 3-5 days a week. Not because I'm trying to not eat breakfast, but just because I don't get hungry until 11, 12 or 1. I bring this up because I think dropping so many standard breakfast foods from the diet is hard for people. Eggs every day gets tiring. And many don't like the idea of meat in the morning. I tend to feel sluggish if I eat too much meat in the morning.

Welcome! And good luck!

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

Ex-vegger here also.

The first thing I did was eliminate all grains and soy products. I increased my fat and protein significantly. Eating meat took some getting used to and I still have issues (texture-wise) with some beef. After a couple of weeks, the brain fog will lift and cravings will disappear- energy will increase. It's a beautiful thing. I'm currently working on reducing dairy and coffee.

CaveGirl Guest

I have no issues with meat (oddly enough i took to it very quickly and I like to eat my beef very rare).

My biggest problems are carbs (which I tend to crave terribly) and sugary things (which make me crave more sugary things). Also, I noticed that I tend to feel fuller much faster now that I am eating meat so I wonder how can I get in all the protein I need without feeling like I have to force myself to eat it all?

Pretty happy about the getting to eat the fat part of Primal Eating. As a kid I always loves to eat the fat off of pork and steak my parents would always cut off their food (but I always got yelled at because they said it was so unhealthy to eat fat).

Any clues?

CaveGirl Guest

Also, if it is helpful in giving advice, the workoutouts I do are capoeira 3 days a week (2 hrs each) and I do kettlebells for about 20-30 minutes three days a week.

Too much, not enough?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I used to get horrible carb cravings too. I think it took 2 solid weeks to get over it, and even now the thought crosses my mind that I could go for some pizza- but I know if I eat it, I'll end up going through the cravings for a week after. At least that's what happened last time. Not wanting to deal with that is enough to keep me from eating stuff I shouldn't.

As for eating meat, you'd be surprised how easy it is to get all your protein. Fitday was really helpful in tracking my meals. It turned out I was actually eating more protein than I really needed to. Some days though, like today, it's nothing to eat half a chicken (which I did- lol.)

NeoPaleo is offline Junior Member

Your workouts look spot-on to me.

I only crave carbs (bread, rice, etc.) if I mess up and eat some - then I crave more. But as soon as I eat some sort of fatty meat, the craving goes away.

Madame P is offline Junior Member

I was vegetarian for 13 years, incredibly. That's a lot of tofu.

One thing that really helps with carb cravings is nuts. The first 2 weeks, I ate a LOT of nuts, probably 3-4 ounces/day of almonds, cashews, and walnuts. Nuts do have some carbs and are not particularly good for weight loss, so I weened myself off of them and now have a handful/day. Still, they were invaluable for the first 2 weeks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast