Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ex-Vegatarian Ready to Go Primal page 2

primalmom is offline Member

Shop Now

hehe ... me too .. ex veg / vegan as well LOL ! ... I started eating meat about 5 years ago - hiding at my desk at work with bacon !

I think Nina Planck's book is a great book - good solid info - while you are at it, read Nourishing Traditions as well .. how's it going ??

PrimalMom
    Check out my new blog at http://primalmom.blogspot.com

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Was any of you an ethical vegetarian/vegan? If so, what made you take the step into being Primal? I am curious because my g/f is an ethical vegetarian and I think she would benefit enormously from joining us.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Emmelle is offline Member

I've been Vegan and Vegetarian. Vegetarian for the last 1.5 years. Now I'm at a point where eggs, some dairy, seafood and fish and nuts are my main proteins. I don't want to eat chicken, beef or pork at this time. I'm doing pretty well with the above list. I have been satisfied. The key to ignoring my cravings are to eat only when I'm hungry. If I am truly hungry then the primal foods will be satisfying and tasty. If I'm not really hungry then the cravings are simply that...cravings. Good luck and check back in, I'd like to know how you're doing as well.

CaveGirl Guest

SS: I was an ethical vegetarian. I saw the pictures/videos of how awful the CAFO system of Big Agra was and it horrified me. I've always loved animals so it felt logical. Then I was given massive amounts of bad info from a lot of diff. animal rights websites/books. How grains were gold, meat was poisonous, dairy was all pus and bacteria, eggs were made from suffering and the human body doesn't need any of it (or very much protein, imagine being told that everything has protein so not getting enough is impossible. Cucumbers have some protein! Veggie burgers, fake chicken, tofu everything)

They honestly told me that family farms no longer existed and the ones that "claimed" to were liars because they all tortured their animals too.

I believed this for 11 yrs, ate grains and fruit like a madwoman, have weight go up and down up and down, mood swings were the same, I would get six (major infections mind you) almost monthly, and could barely sleep more than 2 hours a night.

I finally bought Planck's book and at first said that I would just try to incorporate milk and eggs into my diet because they were healthy (still was afarid of meat and suffering). Learn about my local farmer's market, more about humanely raised animals and recalled when I was younger and visting my grandma in DR every summer, she would only serve us chickens she raised in her yard, their eggs and raw milk from a neighbor's cow. I used ot be ashamed because I thought it made us poor that we couldn't buy milk (white pure milk) from the supermarket or that our eggs were brown and not all the same size (unlike the supermarket stuff).

I can't say it enough, Planck's book changed my life. It taught me to look for local farmer's that treat their animals with respect and feed them how they should be feed, slaughter them quickly and painlessly, and that eating like we've been eating for hundred of years is better for the body, and the environment (ever seen how many ingredients are in those faux-meats?!?!). Thats how I changed. I had my first non-veggie day back in January, and I never realized how much I missed the flavors and textures of real food.

ps: Bacon rocks my socks

Cave Girl thanks a lot. She has almost exactly your

same stand, although fortunately she does eat eggs and diary. Unfortunately, however, her diet is still very high in grains, low in sat fats and high in Omega 6.

I'll get her Plank's book, maybe it will push her into at least eating fish, which would be an enormous improvement.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Peggy is offline Senior Member

SS: another reformed veg here! I stumble across MDA about 6 months ago when some veg friends of mine went "paleo". I thought I'd check it out if it made them switch. What I read, especially here, just made too much sense! I wrestled with the eating meat for a bit - I eased in with some salmon first. My next step was Mark's coconut chicken salad. Last night I cooked a buffalo heart (anticuchos! Thanks HEAPS for the idea!) so there! Tell the GF that is so many of us intelligent, ethical veges are switching, there's gotta be some logic behind it. I don't know about the rest of you out there, but I found it basically forehead-slapping, duh!, makes-more-sense-when-you-think-about-it easy to understand.

cave-girl: bacon rocks my socks too. & sausage...

Peggy anticuchos rock my world, even more than bacon. I'm glad you liked them. You should go to Peru and try the real deal though. There's no coming back after that...

Wouldn't it be cool to have a "reformed vegetarians" section here in MDA?. After all, vegetarians and vegans tend to be more health and ethically conscious than the average person, so they would probably welcome reading about ex-vegetarian experiences, how they deal with protein now, and the health improvements they experience. Many of PBers with vegetarian relatives or SOs would welcome this, and I think it would also increase MDA's traffic.

Peggy is offline Senior Member

SS: I think I'm going to order the aji pepper paste to make it (the anticuchos) more authentic, but I have to say it was pretty tastey with the cranberry chipotle stuff that I used. Have you tried it (the Peruvian chili paste avail in US)??

Today is farmer's mkt day & I'm gonna hit the buffalo guy up for more hearts.

I haven't tried it, but will def give it a shot. My mouth is watering

Catalina is offline Member

SS: I really like this website as a source of info as well as sources of meat:

http://www.eatwild.com/

For me, I'm trying to move towards the most ethical way of eating, whether that is eggs, beef, or veggies (Primal, of course!). I think your GF might see that there is a great deal of compassion in certain sectors (grass fed/finished) of the meat industry that way surpass all industrial farming, whether meat, dairy or veg.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast