Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulletproof coffee =/= IF? page

Gotsouthern is offline Junior Member

Bulletproof coffee =/= IF?

Primal Fuel
    I did a cursory search on this subject and didn't come up with anything quite like what I was looking for. Anyhow, I've been doing IF consistently for about 18 mos (typically Leangains-style 16/8 though occasionally it'll push more towards Fast 5)). I've recently discovered the wonderment that is Bulletproof coffee and I am curious your folks opinions, especially the IF'ers out there, as to whether imbibing in such constitutes a breach of protocol relative to IF. The way I mix mine we're talking about 150-175 cals give or take. All opinions welcome. Thanks!!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Are you asking if drinking hundreds of empty, nutritionless calories each morning will break your fast?
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Read pklopp's perspective on IF. Mark also says he skips breakfast by having a coffee with heavy cream. I just have my coffee black. More importantly, I'm not too worried about breaking IF, even if I have a small sip of wine, during communion at daily mass.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    If you're dead set on maintaining your fast, I'd take out the guess work and drink it black . It's much better that way

Martin has talked about adding creamer without issue. But, I don't think he was adding 150 calories to his coffee (Nor is Mark with his cream and sugar).

Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    If you're dead set on maintaining your fast, I'd take out the guess work and drink it black . It's much better that way

Martin has talked about adding creamer without issue. But, I don't think he was adding 150 calories to his coffee (Nor is Mark with his cream and sugar).
    No, he allows up to a tablespoon. More like 30-40 calories. Not hundreds of empty calories. With that amount of calories, you can eat 2 extra large eggs and actually get some nutrition out of it. It stands to reason that 2 extra large eggs would break a fast, no? Certainly 1/4 stick of butter in your coffee will!
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    choco they just dont get it .. just like the whole cream people wanting to drink this during IF .. IF is fasting .. = WATER people .. not butter, not coconut oil, not cream, WATER
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Gotsouthern is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all the reply's folks. Interesting to hear everyone's differing views.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    I also say that fasting is fasting. Once you consume calories of any kind, the fast is over. Water, black coffee or straight tea are all fine. Anything else is NOT fasting, PERIOD!

Quote Originally Posted by Gotsouthern View Post
    Thanks for all the reply's folks. Interesting to hear everyone's differing views.
    It's not a view. The definition of fasting is not taking in anything. Technically, even taking in water means you're not "truly" fasting, but in this case we're speaking of calorie fasting so water, black coffee and black tea is okay.

If you want a view, have my take on "bulletproof coffee", which has to be one of the worst ideas I've ever seen on MDA. The idea of putting butter in coffee is ridiculous to begin with because you're taking in hundreds of calories without a significant shred of nutrition. If you do it because you truly like the taste, that makes sense, but it's going to greatly slow fat loss if that is your goal. If the only reason why people were doing bulletproof coffee on this site was because they truly loved the taste, I'd be okay with it, but they're doing it to lose weight. They're taking in hundreds of empty calories...on top of what they're normally eating...to lose weight. What? Or the even worse idea - replacing ACTUAL FOOD calories with butter. Isn't the whole idea of the Primal Blueprint to attain optimal health through proper nutrition, and now we're replacing real, whole foods with butter - which is by definition a processed food and empty calories? *Bangs head against desk* If you're going to put tablespoons of butter in your coffee, you may as well put a cup of sugar in your coffee. There is very little difference.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-30-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    Read pklopp's perspective on IF. Mark also says he skips breakfast by having a coffee with heavy cream. I just have my coffee black. More importantly, I'm not too worried about breaking IF, even if I have a small sip of wine, during communion at daily mass.
    You mean starting here? http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread27894.html. My perspective is that eating high fat is healthy. No if ands or buts. Churned cream (AKA butter) is a great source of CLA's and other healthy fats. Its all the goodness of healthy fat condensed. I'm sure that there is some caloric load that would reduce the therapeutic effects of the fast. Does it take 1/2/3 tablespoons to take count? Dunno, but I doubt 100 calories does it. 500 calories probably so.

BTW I prefer heavy cream in my coffee, but I would consider butter simply because its much easier to find Kerrygold than it is to find grass fed organic cream for me. Oh, and all this http://www.marksdailyapple.com/grass...#axzz1tZU9o4PI. Just looked there and relized I forgot to mention the K2 and usable Vit. A. Empty calories my arse.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-30-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast