Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help me lose weight! page

13blessings is offline Member

Please help me lose weight!

Shop Now
    I've been maintaining this lifestyle for about 2 months now and have lost maybe 4 pounds. 2 pounds a month just isn't adequate for me. Can you guys take a look at my typical day and give me tips on how I can increase weight loss. I guess I could start counting calories but I've spent nearly my entire life counting calories and I hate it. That's why this lifestyle is so appealing to me.

Typical Day:

I IF every day (been doing that for about 3 weeks when I was getting frustrated with the slow weight loss and how time consuming preparing my breakfast and lunch were). I have two small kids, work full time and volunteer a lot so I need fast and simple in my life. And I really felt as though IF'ing was coming naturally anyway since I'd often just skip meals unintentionally eating this way.

Okay anyway I wake up around 6 every day. I start my day with coffee with about 1T of heavy cream. I've read that doesn't affect the fasting. I drink water throughout the day and sometimes will drink iced green tea unsweetened. I also will usually chew two or three pieces of sugar free gum especially at normal meal times when I start getting hungry.

I usually break my fast around 3:30 p.m. with a Lara bar and a couple of ounces of turkey breast. When I get home I make dinner and eat whatever that happens to be. Sometimes it's a hamburger with no bun and a salad with olive oil and vinegar, last night I made steamed veggies and lemon garlic chicken breast. The theme is it's usually some sort of meat with vegetables. I always make sure to cook the meat in coconut oil if I'm cooking it on the stove and I put extra virgin olive oil in my salads. Usually when I"m cooking dinner I will snack on more turkey breast and maybe some sliced raw veggies.

Dessert is a piece or two of dark chocolate. I will usually end my day with an apple with some almond butter on it. That's typically around 8. I don't like eating anything any later than that because I wake up feeling bloated with indigestion. And this is a pretty good representation of my daily eats, I honestly don't mix it up very much.

I do Zumba twice a week on Monday and Friday at 6 p.m. On the other days I go for a long walk or do interval sprinting. I also do resistance training using mostly body weight twice a week. On average I'm burning about 600 calories at Zumba (yes even though I refuse to count calories I'm still addicted to my HRM) and about 300 to 400 on my other days. Weekends are "rest days" even though I do stay active with my family, I just don't count it as exercise.

I drink about 4 glasses of red wine a week.

I feel a lot better so that's something but I really really want to be able to lose weight so I look better in my clothes and feel better about myself. And my body isn't changing, I can tell by the way my clothes fit (e.g. still tight). My stomach *might* be a tiny bit flatter but really overall I'm still fluffy everywhere.

Please help me, there's obviously something I am not doing right. I should be dropping weight like no one's business with eating this way combined with the IF'ing. Thanks a lot to anyone who responds!

P.S. Because I know someone will ask. I had my blood tested about 6 months ago because I wasn't able to lose weight no matter what I did and all of my levels are normal. Thyroid, etc. I was told (yes really by my Dr.) to try a paleo or low carb diet. I have PCOS and it's been proven that these diets work well for us.

polos26 is offline Senior Member
    How much fat do you have to loose? is it possible you're at homeostasis?
    Loving my primal life

baconator is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 13blessings View Post
    2 pounds a month just isn't adequate for me.
    Why?

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    quick notes from what i read ..

no wine, no dairy, no fruits, no nuts, no snacking (eat enough at your meals so you dont get hungry again) ... perhaps more fats to help you through the day it sure seems you are low on fat without a doubt ...

you could try fast5 ... check out the thread i started on it its about 21 pages now ..

following this you could lose a little more

as a side note .. the meals are TINY you are eating ... an example meal for me would be a 1-1.2lb steak, a sweet potato mashed with kerry gold butter, and 3 eggs done deviled style ... substitute the steak for any meat and potato for any other veggy and thats about what i eat daily.. damned if im hungry for 6-18 hours after that LOL, but still i dont feel "stuffed to the brim" if that makes sense ..

you have to learn what your body NEEDS for nurishment.. if youre not getting enough fat and arent eating carbs its possible you are basically in starvation mode.. not to mention eating every few hours imho never really gets the metabolism revd up like it could be.. to me the coffee in the morning counts as food if there is cream in it.. dairy bloats a lot of people and slows loss for a LOT of people myself included.. try coconut oil maybe? or skip it all together.. its not hard
    Last edited by touchdowntodd; 04-30-2012 at 09:40 AM.
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

otzi Guest
    I take it you are a 6'2" 23 year old guy who weighs 375lbs. You need to eat less and exercsie more.

Just kidding--more details would be helpful!

I am 5'8" and weigh as of this morning 161.5. I am very small boned and a comfortable weight for me is 135/140. Trust me, I know that sounds low for my height but it's what my body is comfortable at and I look normal at that weight. So I have about 20 pounds to lose. I don't think I'm at homeostasis. I'm almost technically overweight according to the charts. I have been maintaining this weight for a year and a half. I just started gaining after I lost a bunch of weight and maintained the loss on Weight Watchers and here I am 20 pounds heavier. Unless I'm not understanding what homeostasis is

some of the same questions as others. What size are you now? what are you hoping to lose?

I found I lose less when fasting IF I don't eat a BIG meal. you have to make up for those calories your not eating through out the day. I also lost more when I was REAL strict. MINIMAL fruit (I had one a day), no wine, no chocolate, no snacks. BUT I am within a few pounds of goal so it's not that important to me now, because it's coming off slowly so I know it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by baconator View Post
    Why?
    Hmm, good point. I guess I feel like I'm sacrificing a lot and working my ass off and I want quicker results. A pound a week isn't asking a lot especially since I have 20 pounds to the weight I have been my whole life

Maybe I should be happy with the .5 a week though. I'm not going off the lifestyle, I love it. Just wondering why some can lose a ton of weight at first and it's SOOOO slow going with me.
    Last edited by 13blessings; 04-30-2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Clarification
    Primal since March 2011
    Fast-5ing since April 2011
    165/159/140

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    It doesn't look like you eat alot, but maybe track calories for a day or two incase for some off reason that mix of foods is higher in calories than you thought, just as a base point.

I don't know how much you have to lose, but 2 lbs a month isn't bad if you are happy with everything else. I seem to lose 2-4 lbs a month. I figure I don't feel like I am on a diet or deprived, so it just might take a good year or more to get to my goal.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I take it you are a 6'2" 23 year old guy who weighs 375lbs. You need to eat less and exercsie more.

Just kidding--more details would be helpful!
    LOL no I don't have much to lose. And I'm 33. Been struggling a lot with my weight since I hit 30. The PCOS is a huge factor and I know that, but I am not comfortable at this weight. I've never been this high in my life. I am 5'8 and 161.5 as of this morning. The lowest I've gotten since starting this lifestyle is 158.5 but I went off track at Easter and have been struggling to get it off since then. I started at 165. So I am losing. And I"m grateful for that. Perhaps I should just be happy with my half a pound a week loss. I am very small boned so even though some women who are 5'8 and 161 would look great, it looks bad on me. I have a tiny bone structure and do better at lower weights.

I also forgot to mention that I live in Colorado so I love hiking. I hike once a week for about 3 hours. Typically cover about 7 miles and burn around 1,100 calories. Those days I do not do IF because I need the energy for my hike.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast