Thread: Ketosis and Endurance Biking page

MichaelA is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Currently I'm in ketosis with less than 40g carbs / day.

I have a Century Ride (109 Miles/ 180 Km) on the next Saturday. I was usually consuming carbs on these rides/races by eating GU Gels. Each one has 25 g of Carbs.

For this Century I used to eat about 6-7-8 this kind of gels for a total of 200-250 grams of carbs.

My question is while I'm not at all experienced with ketosis. Will these Gels kick me out of ketosis even while consumed in the middle of the sustained effort?

Alternative to gels? What should I eat instead? On the bike I have very limited space and the SAG Stops / rest stops are servin food but that nothing that goes into Paleo/PB lines

This ride will take about 4000 calories.

What you say?

bodly is offline Junior Member

Michael,

Robb Wolf's podcast "The Paleolithic Solution" had an episode with a similar question from an ultra-marathoner. Here's the link to it: http://robbwolf.com/2010/01/19/the-paleolithic-solution-episode-11/

The relevant section is found between 56:36-1:06:14.

He recommends a combination of carbs and protein and mentions that some people just eat things like burgers or cheesecake to get enough calories.

Good luck on your ride.

Thank you bodly. I just listened the ideas in that blog. Thanks again. I'm a bit less confused now, but I will definitely NOT have a cheesecake or pizza

I might stick with some raisins instead of the GU Gels... or... hmmm, chocolate? That one has proteins and fat

More thoughts?

jostle is offline Senior Member

I usually do 2-3 Century rides a yr and never needed extra carbs. Even before eating primal, I never really understood all the snacks and sports drinks at the SAG/rest stops. If I do grab anything being given out its usually just pickle juice and fruit. You could always make primal power bars that are packed with cals, there's a couple recipes on here.

fruits and primal power bars have alot of carbs.

Pickle Juice?

jostle is offline Senior Member

I've never used the primal bars for century rides, but just suggesting if you think you really need the carbs. I think on the last century ride, the only fruit I ate was one or two wedges of an orange besides lunch.

They had pickle juice a couple years back at one of the rides I did to stave off cramps and I've been using it since. I usually take a little(couple oz) before the ride and maybe some during instead of a sports drink to get the electrolytes with out all the sugar. I just use the leftover juice in the pickle jar.

Ok, did the ride, but I felt I needed some carbs on the way. The first 24 miles were the warm-up, had water and some walnuts (15g of carbs). Second rest stop I had a quarter of an orange and a piece of pineapple. Third stop I had the same thing. Skipped 4th one and at the fifth I had two GU Gels (Chocolate Outrage flavor) with Caffeine. I was a bit tired and felt the need for the boost. It's quite interesting what happened. I practically exploded with energy...

That was the 50g of sugar effect... maltodextrosis...

I was hydrating all the way, not exaggerating to reduce potty time as much as I could. Went just once

I was energized until late at night... I had a copious dinner, totally paleo with about two pounds of fat prime-rib.

As expected, the next morning I was kicked out of ketosis. Now is second morning, I'm back into it.

Easy breeze...

Just thought anyone was interested about how it went... Here is the ride log my sportswatch did:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/27042613

wyadvd is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelA View Post
    Ok, did the ride, but I felt I needed some carbs on the way. The first 24 miles were the warm-up, had water and some walnuts (15g of carbs). Second rest stop I had a quarter of an orange and a piece of pineapple. Third stop I had the same thing. Skipped 4th one and at the fifth I had two GU Gels (Chocolate Outrage flavor) with Caffeine. I was a bit tired and felt the need for the boost. It's quite interesting what happened. I practically exploded with energy...

That was the 50g of sugar effect... maltodextrosis...

I was hydrating all the way, not exaggerating to reduce potty time as much as I could. Went just once

I was energized until late at night... I had a copious dinner, totally paleo with about two pounds of fat prime-rib.

As expected, the next morning I was kicked out of ketosis. Now is second morning, I'm back into it.

Easy breeze...

Just thought anyone was interested about how it went... Here is the ride log my sportswatch did:

Solvang Century by michaelasgian at Garmin Connect - Details
    I did a 300km audax last weekend and ate nothing but salty water. Was not even hungry at the end. I've been in deep ketosis for 2 months now.

Greg Rx is offline Senior Member
    two words, coconut oil.

mjh365 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    MCT Oil, about one ounce, mixed with water in a Hammer Nutrition 6oz flask. Easy to carry. Once I became a fat burner this is all I've ever needed on long rides.