Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish Oil Supplements page

Fish Oil Supplements

Primal Fuel
    In order to get more Omega 3 FA, I purchased a fish oil supplement from Whole Foods. I failed to read the back and thought all were the same. I'm a newbie and am still learning so please don't beat me up too badly. What ingredients should I look out for or what brand is seems to be the best?

Thank you!

Steve

Come on people. Need some help here

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    Because I grass fed almost exclusively, and have a low overall omega 6 intake at this point, I switched over to Krill oil so that I can keep the total PUFA intake lower. I eat salmon once or twice a week, so I could possibly skip the supplementation all together, but I'm working under the assumption that my ten years of fast food based SAD diet probably depleted my O3 stores pretty badly, and would prefer to give my body the chance to "stock up".

The way I understand it, the omega-3 in Krill oil is considerably more bioavailable than it is in fish oil, allowing you to get the same benefit with a lower total intake. If I remember correctly, it has something to do with Phospholipids, but I'm out of my depth there.

Apparently natural astaxanthin content of the krill oil makes it less likely to oxidize.

I realize that I'm starting to sound like a Mercola commercial, so if anyone has any disagreements with any of this, I'm totally open to more information.

Here's what I'm currently taking...
    Swanson EFAs 100% Pure Krill Oil 500 mg 60 Sgels - Swanson Health Products

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Well, what's on the back that you're so worried about?

Avoid anything with bad oils or specifically stating hydrogenated oils. Soy is often in omega-3 supplements, unfortunately. Focus on the amounts of EPA/DHA (I think those are the correct acronyms?) in the capsules rather than the amount of fish oil. Many people suggest getting up to 1g of EPA/DHA daily, but it depends on how much fish/omega-3 you're consuming regularly anyway and to what purpose (trying to combat depression, just trying to be well-rounded, etc.).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

The back says it contains Soy which I was concerned about. I am going to try and exchange it even though I opened the bottle. Thank you for your replies!

Steve

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    hey Steve -
    I'm going to repost something I wrote from an earlier thread on this subject; it's a bit of an important topic to me and take from it what you will:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread46234.html

But re: the soy--do you think it's related to the gelatin cap? I've noticed that w/ Whole Foods stuff before and they darn well better take it back if you don't like! I like Pharmax high potency fish oil.

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    Better to just eat salmon a couple of times a week, IMO.

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    Salmon several times a week is the best way of doing it, I agree, but it is significantly more expensive and time consuming than popping a pill. I used to do Nordic Naturals Fish Oil, but I've found FO Pills make my stomach feel weird no matter what brand i try. So my solution was to eat a can of Sardines every other day. At only $2.50 per can, the price per month isn't that much higher than Fish Oil pills, plus a whole can of Sardines serves as the main entree of your lunch or breakfast so in the end you probably save a few bucks. I don't get any burps from Sardines, the Omega 3 content is better than pills, plus you get a lot of Calcium and other goodies from the skin and bones. Sardines from Portugal or Spain are the best. If BPA scares you, VitalChoice makes a fantastic tasting Sardine in ceramic tins for about 4$ a "can".
    Last edited by JWBooth; 04-30-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JWBooth View Post
    Salmon several times a week is the best way of doing it, I agree, but it is significantly more expensive and time consuming than popping a pill. I used to do Nordic Naturals Fish Oil, but I've found FO Pills make my stomach feel weird no matter what brand i try. So my solution was to eat a can of Sardines every other day. At only $2.50 per can, the price per month isn't that much higher than Fish Oil pills, plus a whole can of Sardines serves as the main entree of your lunch or breakfast so in the end you probably save a few bucks. I don't get any burps from Sardines, the Omega 3 content is better than pills, plus you get a lot of Calcium and other goodies from the skin and bones. Sardines from Portugal or Spain are the best. If BPA scares you, VitalChoice makes a fantastic tasting Sardine in ceramic tins for about 4$ a "can".
    I agree that fresh salmon is more expensive (especially wild caught), but rather than sardines, I go with canned salmon (Wild Planet is my favorite brand).

lardomuncher is offline Senior Member
    better quality brands will actually list EPA and DHA on the back and those number will be high, so you will only need few pills to get your 1-2 g per day or how ever much you are taking...cheaper will not always list and if they do those number will be low

check out Nordic Naturals as a great product

I bought the cheap stuff from costo before and it gave me indigestion and the worst fish burps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast