Thread: High carb weekend page

PaleoHeather is offline Junior Member

High carb weekend

Shop Now
    This weekend I graduated college and as a result went out a lot. Friday night I was taken out for sushi, Saturday I was again taken out for sushi (no complaints here), and Sunday I had a party. For the party I had planned to have meat, more meat, and some veggies and then ice cream for a treat. I said I didn't want a cake but my mom showed up with one anyways. I wound up having a slice of cake and some Ritz crackers with cheeseball. The majorly unprimal things I had were the cake and crackers and some Cheetos.

I felt fine after the sushi Friday and Saturday - I had no other high carb items and no other grains. I woke up Monday feeling bloated, gassy, and sluggish after the cake, Cheetos, and crackers. Does rice digest a lot easier than the wheat items? I've been eating sushi about once a week since going Primal with no ill effects. Also I weighed myself and am up 5lbs. I don't know if it is water retention from eating higher salt, bloating from the wheat, or what? I couldn't have gained 5lbs of fat in 4 days and I was weighing 5 lbs less on Thursday morning.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Rice is food. Cake, crackers and Cheetos are things that you can stick in your face, chew and swallow, but that doesn't mean they are food.
    Of all the grains that you could eat, rice is the most benign and actually has a place in carb cycling and refeeds.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    Rice is food. Cake, crackers and Cheetos are things that you can stick in your face, chew and swallow, but that doesn't mean they are food.
    Of all the grains that you could eat, rice is the most benign and actually has a place in carb cycling and refeeds.
    Many people still haven't warmed up to white rice, despite this.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    White rice is still higher on glycemic index than many grains though. On the upside.. no gluten. It probably depends on what gets your body feeling "down". Processed foods still will typically be worse regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
    White rice is still higher on glycemic index than many grains though. On the upside.. no gluten. It probably depends on what gets your body feeling "down". Processed foods still will typically be worse regardless.
    Which is interesting, because the idea of not eating wheat was foreign to me, when a pre-diabetic friend told me about the gluten, last year. Over time, it did make more sense, as I thought about it.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

jakey is offline Senior Member
    sorry you felt sick, but... you only graduate college once - don't beat yourself up over the splurge. and i think you've discovered a truth about cheat foods - rice won't cause the hurt that wheat causes! glycemic index means nothing, unless you're consuming a food purely by itself. you add meat or fat to anything, the whole GI thing goes out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    sorry you felt sick, but... you only graduate college once - don't beat yourself up over the splurge. and i think you've discovered a truth about cheat foods - rice won't cause the hurt that wheat causes! glycemic index means nothing, unless you're consuming a food purely by itself. you add meat or fat to anything, the whole GI thing goes out the window.
    This. To add to the white rice argument, I personally prep my rice a certain way, where the rice is visible underneath the water. I don't know what it does, but I'd like to think it helps in some way... maybe, it's similar to soaking (??)

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Graduating college? I would have started the weekend with 2 dozen doughnuts and a case of IPA. That's Thursday night btw. Friday is where the real damage would begin.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Sushi is real food. Everything else you listed is not real food. Avoid the fake food and avoid the fake food hangover.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes