Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Confessions of a Sugar Addict page 18

AbigailLyn is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Fiercehunter - not entirely sure your angle, haha, but I have realized sugar is not good for me. I also can't stand coke, have never been able to drink soft drinks (when I was little they hurt my tongue because of the fizz and I just never tried to develop a taste), but the pepper jack cheese sounds awesome. Anyways, glad sugar works for you!

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    More and more I think FierceHunter is a troll... out strolling around stirring the pot for no apparent reason.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

I think you may be right Jenn. I can't think of anyone who follows primal who would actually ADVOCATE for drinking coca cola. Even if there is some miracle brew in a glass bottle that is "real" coke (what is real coke anymore) I would have trouble supporting the company in general.

So yesterday was my off day which basically was mindless eating a lot. All primal food (it actually hasn't even been difficult to avoid unprimal foods anymore) but probably went overboard on the berries and yogurt and dark chocolate. Still impressed I haven't caved to anything since sunday. Tuesday we went to celebrate my cousin's 6th birthday with strawberry cupcakes and "natural" strawberry ice cream (very little of anything natural in it) and I refused and nobody said squat. Well, people said squat, but my father brought up how i don't eat grains and everyone seemed interested and impressed more than anything. Yay for intelligent people.

Anywhose, my day off was quite enjoyable. Fixed my bike, paid off $5,000 of student loans (cue panic attack), got some tasks out of the way, cleaned my room (and it is already messy again), went for a long bike ride to explore streets where I usually get lost, farmer's market, nap, yogurt with fresh raspberries bought at said farmer's market. Delightful.

I went to the farmer's market with my vegan friend (the one who has been coming to the farm) and it was quite interesting. He was all upset that the bread vendor who sells whole-wheat bread wasn't there and I was all upset that my grass-fed meat vendor had no ofal. Ha. At night we went to a bar with another friend of mine and the fact that I eat meat at every meal came up. People were...displeased but we sort of just passed it. I think more of disbelief than anything as it's such common "knowledge" that you should limit your meat intake to one meal a day.

Today has been really good. Woke up early to make a farm delivery and breakfasted on leftover steak cooked in lamb tallow (again, cooking with animal fat = heaaaaaven) with eggs and my maya ik (one bottle left, saber que voy a hacer cuando se acabe. llorar tal vez), then spent the morning in the sunshine attempting not to burn (mission accomplished!) and hoeing beans. Had a delicious lunch of tuna mixed with avocado with some tomatoes and sharp cheddar cheese over a bed of greens with farmer's market pickles on the side (I LOVE PICKLES!) and then did some farm errands. Cut out early because it is just too damn hot.

I feel like a wuss because everyone is saying it's not that hot and what a pansy i am for not going to work yesterday. It's around 98, which to me is boiling because i've been in eternal spring highlands of guatemala for 2 years, but I'm getting used to it.

Starting my 2 week yoga challenge this evening! Going over in about 20 minutes. I don't know what sort of masochist decided it was a good idea to do heated yoga when it's already 100 degrees outside, but I am following suit.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to a family gathering tonight to celebrate SIL's birthday. The cake will be chocolate zuccini cake. Good thing I don't like it. I will be able to easily pass it up. Not much for chocolate cake and don't care much for zuccini... and I'm scared of wheat. win/win/win!!

I am finding that since going primal, heat doesn't bother me as much. Neither does humidity. But everyone around me is complaining. I find it to be funny that I'm perfectly comfy in it while they're boiling in their own sweat.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

primalmontana is offline Senior Member
    I went to this really awesome restaurant today that only serves local ingredients. Without thinking, I ordered a meatloaf sandwich with caramelized shallots and roasted veggies (no sourdough of course) I was halfway through this piece of grass-fed heaven when I realized SHIT, meatloaf has breadcrumbs in it!! Damnit! It was still the best meatloaf ever though!

me2
    me2 is offline Senior Member
    So glad to hear you are doing so well. Yay.
    Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

montana - THWARTED! My mom actually started making a breadcrumb free meatloaf so that I can eat with them. I find it's a little dry. At least yours was delicious! And local food is the best when you can find it in season. Most of my primal journey has been switching over to better quality foods - all local organic produce and grass fed meat. It makes such a difference. That was actually one of the things I loved most about Guatemala - the market sold what was in season, and so for 2 months you could overdose on mango and then by the time you got sick of it OH SHOOT it was plum season! And then after ODing on plums so convenient it's clementine season! Then by the time mango season rolled around again you were all ready to indulge. So much nummier.

me2 - I think I am doing well! Thanks!

So, last night was...drunk AbigailLyn. Went into the restaurant with a friend and of course, free booze and food. I didn't want to eat (wasn't hungry, although in retrospect thank god I did because the level of intoxication at the end of the night would've been way worse) but my bartender friend ordered me the shrimp dish. It's breaded. Balls. How do you refuse food someone has bought for you? So I ate it, and it wasn't as tasty as I remember (back to my local rant, AVOCADOS IN THIS COUNTRY ARE NASTY SAUCE! I MISS MY AVOCADOS!!!!!), and then I drank half a pitcher of vodka and lemonade and blueberries. Delicious. Horribly long ride home on the t (takes 30 minutes biking, 10 minutes driving, and at 12 am it takes TWO HOURS on the train) and then horrible hangover this morning. Warded it off with 3 scrambled eggs cooked in lamb fat and then 2 yoga sessions at the studio and a good hour of vitamin d intake out on the charles. Then came home with a huge headache, had a bowl of yogurt and berries and walnuts, some tuna, and a few dark chocolate pieces. Still have a horrible headache. I think it's dehydration. 2.5 hrs in 100 degree heat doing yoga makes you SWEAT.

SO that's my weekend so far. The good thing is I did not drunk eat when I got home, and (knock on wood) it seems to be much easier for me to not stress out about eating, and coincidentally I don't eat crap food because I don't obsess about it. The other day when I went to the birthday party I thought "let's see how I feel when I get there" and I really just did not want a cupcake. No stress, no agonizing, no eating something because I told myself I would even though I didn't want it. Much better system

So today I have a birthday party of an old friend from high school. I don't think I've seen some of these people in 4 years or so, and I'm really excited to reconnect. Haven't decided what I'm going to eat. The cake will undoubtedly be bomb because my friend is a pastry chef, so I'll see if it's calling to me. They're also making black bean burgers and I haven't decided if I'll have one. Not going to stress about being primal, I've done really well this week, and am more going to try to listen to my intuition and what my body is telling me it wants. This is always a challenge for me. I'm bringing lots of veggies to grill and avocados, so worst comes to worst I'll just eat that.

Also in bad news bears - I weighed myself last night. Not sure why, I NEVER Weigh myself, but I was at a friend's house and saw the scale and was curious. Welp, I'm pretty much the heaviest I have ever been. Weird, because my clothes still fit fine (they're always falling off at the farm actually) although my stomach has seen better days. I'm going to call it mostly muscle? Is that even possible? I definitely am getting way stronger. Maybe I need to eat less...I eat a lot. Well, right now my mental game is pretty good, so maybe I just won't worry about it.
    Last edited by AbigailLyn; 06-24-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Primal-JoJo is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you've been doing really well this week, Abby! Hope you keep on riding the good vibes! Wish I could say the same - shitty week But I have to say the whole not stressing about food works a lot better for me as well. I find if I mentally "allow" myself to eat whatever I feel, I'm actually less inclined to eat junk. Or just eat it, and then realize it sucked, and get over it. It's almost like the allowing yourself creates a mentality where you are actually capable of making a choice - instead of feeling like I "have" eat this or not eat that. It's amazing how food and eating is so psychological.
    Primal: Because I like to have my steak, and eat it too

Current Primal Journal
    My Old Primal Journal - Surviving my summer away from home
    Food blog: Sex or Chocolate: I choose STEAK!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So birthday party interestingness -

My friend, it seems, has recently turned vegetarian (thus, the black bean burgers. Not even homemade. They were from Costco. I mean, come on, if you're going to do vegetarian at least make it tasty!) after seeing the documentary Forks over Knives. Anyone else seen it? I feel like I need to. It seems like something I would've liked pre-omnivorous self and might be interesting to see from my new high horse (because yes, last night I silently sat on that horse while everyone else was gorging on succatash and pasta salad). Actually we got in a lot of talks about diet last night, I mentioned how I don't eat wheat or grains (as I ate birthday cake and drank beer...hypocrite alert!), she mentioned how she had tried to do vegan, someone said "I couldn't live without cheese!" and I realized that used to be my anti-vegan go to as well and now I eat so much less on primal.

I did have a burger yesterday, more out of curiosity than anything. It really wasn't that good which surprised me because I thought beans and legumes were going to be one of the more difficult things to give up. I also did have cake. I saw it, thought "I probably don't want to eat that, but let's try." It was a barbie drag doll cake (with a barbie in the middle and the cake is the dress) and it was a chocolate cake with a burnt caramel and coconut icing. And ya know what, it wasn't that good! Everyone around me was yumming and moaning and all I could taste was the oncoming headache. I finished my piece and definitely went back to graze afterwards, but my head hurt for the remainder of the day and I woke up with unpleasant poopies this morning. Other cheats...I tasted the shortbread and it was disgusting. I had a bite of succotash (corn in it) and it was too sweet (WHAT!). Had some sangria and one beer. Mostly I gorged on the avocados I brought and the beet and goat cheese salad.

All in all I had a fabulous time though. It was so much fun to see old friends and we just spent a lot of time playing games from our childhood, catching up, and attempting to play drums on rock band (so much fun). I miss nights like that, versus my Saturday night where I could barely walk and was saying stupid shit. I need some new friends with more wholesome pastimes.

Forgot to mention that Saturday nights vodkafest sent me into a major bout of depression in the morning. Thank god for yoga and sweating because it got most of it out of me, but oh my god is alcohol a downer (newsflash much?). I started getting all up in my head about turning 25, not knowing what I'm doing with my life, being alone, having no friends, being poor, living at home, etc etc. The list goes on, and most of them are irrational and made up in my head.

So I guess the best thing about primal is it hasn't necessarily removed these episodes from occurring (I still have them a few times a week) but I think I'm better with recognizing when they're happening and the causes and doing something to bring myself out of them rather than just wallowing in woe-is-me-isms. I really would just like them to stop happening, but knowing who I am I know and my tendency to be too hard on myself and overanalyze every situation that probs won't ever happen.

Just had a delicious breakfast of scrambled eggs, chicken livers, asparagus and goat cheese (cooked in lamb fat of course). No coffee which is leading to bitchy abby because my mom was silly and added some nasty flavored coffee to our standard blend. GROSS! And cue abby turning into an emo 15 year old whose mom ruined her coffee and now she's never going to let her live it down...

Hope everyone has a fabulous day! It doesn't look like it's going to rain as much as we thought (knock on wood) so hopefully I'll get some weeds knocked out at the farm. I'm so sore from doing so much yoga yesterday and I am not looking forward to a day of physical labor. Wah.

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast