Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Confessions of a Sugar Addict page 13

Primal Fuel
    Have you tried avocado with butter? I was craving for shortbread biscuits, knew it was the butter I really wanted, so I went feral and started scraping butter from the stick with a spoon and then scooping up avo with the same spoon. Straight into mouth. Highly recommended.

I also read somewhere on MDA that this guy scoops butter with walnuts and chomps it down - sounds like heaven but I'm cutting out nuts for a bit. Addictive little buggers -_-

Anyway this rambling was to say enjoy your alone time! Rest well

primalmontana is offline Senior Member
    Since I began eating more primal, my skin looks so much better. I can definitely tell when I have some sugar though. This may sound crazy, but I also switched my usual face lotion to coconut oil. My skin is so soft and glowing! I would recommend giving it a try. It did not clog my pores like I thought it would. In fact, I usually have very rough pores around my nose and chin and they are so much better now. I also put a drop of melaleuca essential oil and mix it with the coconut oil, it is supposed to help with acne and other skin problems. If you are interested, check out doTerra, it is absolutely the best.

AbigailLyn is offline Senior Member
    Blerg. Just had a super sugary lunch. Didn't have time to make so downed a banana with some almond butter, a handfull of cranberries, and a bowl of coleslaw. On some level I know this is not going to keep me going for the day, but I am in super need of electrolytes and for some reason I thought cranberries would be good for that? FAulty thinking? I think so. I also made some really disgusting rehydration lemonade (my nalgene filled with water, juice of one lemon, about a teaspoon of salt (gag) and a tablespoon of sugar. I know, I know, bad sugar, but how else do you make salt water drinkable).

ALSO I have been really smelly lately. Like, REALLY SMELLY. I used to have gas problems in high school that have essentially ended since cutting out grains (woot!) but for some reason they've come back the past few days with force. Nuts? Too much sugar from fruit? Is it a sign of something wonderful happening that I just can't pinpoint? That, I doubt, but here's hoping someone else has the answer.

Jacq - My new thing is dousing sweet potatoes with tons of butter. I also started just licking spoonfuls, something I NEVER imagined myself doing, but avocado too? Sounds yum. I wish they grew closer to me...they taste like water imported <lesigh>

Montana - I've heard tale of the wonders of coconut oil on skin but always felt it would clog pores too. Do you know if you can just use your standard cooking oil or does it need to be a little higher quality? Never had too many issues with my skin although every once in a while zits pop up. They're usually when I've had too much sugar (utoh...worried what happens after today!!)

Having 2 dark chocolate squares to wash this all down. Need to buy better quality chocolate.

me2
    me2 is offline Senior Member
    OMG get off the pill. Honestly it is not doing anything for you. It actually disrupts your gut and can cause dysbiosis, and then you end up with a leaky gut and advantageous bad bacteria populating your small intestine. Be forewarned that the pill may also be masking any hormonal balances you have. Additionally it takes a full year for your body to recover and hormones to normalize. I totally recommended reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility it will blow your mind, and make you pissed that no one ever taught you about your cycles. Your ladyparts will thank you.

Sugars and starches (sweet potato) feed the yeast in your gut and cause you to toot toot more than a train. Here's what Dr. Natasha Campbell-Mcbride says, "Yes, gas is produced largely by fungi in the gut. Some amount of gas is normal, but not too much. You do not have to go back to the Intro [GAPS] diet, but just remove foods for a while which may be feeding fungi."

Virgin coconut oil is super awesome for your skin due to all the medium chain fatty acids, which are exactly what inhabits skin. Refined coconut oil is comedogenic, so only use that as an April fool's joke on your enemy.

OMG I'm a nutrition nerd!

I also love the vino, what's your fave?
    Last edited by me2; 06-09-2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: crazy pants
    Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

I use nutriva exta vergin coconut oil for cooking and my skin, it's totally awesome!

I notice I have more gas when I eat a lot of protein, like 140+ grams of it. I never really noticed with sugar. Increasing my dietary fat in the beginning had the same effect, but that has since gone away. Anytime I cut something out for a while and then re-introduce it, my digestive tract is not impressed. Is there something you have not had for awhile that was re-introduced?

I can definitely vouge for the pill masking hormonal imbalances. I started taking it in high school b/c my periods were so irregular. I did not know that it was b/c of hormonal imbalances. 6 mo. After I quit taking it, I got pregnant, it was still regulating my hormones. Now, as you know, I can't conceive. It's kinda scary what BC does to your body. It also made me moody and irritable.

Quote Originally Posted by me2 View Post
    OMG get off the pill. Honestly it is not doing anything for you. It actually disrupts your gut and can cause dysbiosis, and then you end up with a leaky gut and advantageous bad bacteria populating your small intestine. Be forewarned that the pill may also be masking any hormonal balances you have. Additionally it takes a full year for your body to recover and hormones to normalize. I totally recommended reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility it will blow your mind, and make you pissed that no one ever taught you about your cycles. Your ladyparts will thank you.

Sugars and starches (sweet potato) feed the yeast in your gut and cause you to toot toot more than a train. Here's what Dr. Natasha Campbell-Mcbride says, "Yes, gas is produced largely by fungi in the gut. Some amount of gas is normal, but not too much. You do not have to go back to the Intro [GAPS] diet, but just remove foods for a while which may be feeding fungi."

Virgin coconut oil is super awesome for your skin due to all the medium chain fatty acids, which are exactly what inhabits skin. Refined coconut oil is comedogenic, so only use that as an April fool's joke on your enemy.

OMG I'm a nutrition nerd!

I also love the vino, what's your fave?

GAAAAAAAH! OKAY!!!!! TERRIFIED TO VERY CORE!!!! I Have been contemplating quitting the pill for a while. Started the idea thought process in Guatemala when my sitemate started getting really into women's health, read a bunch of stuff, and started getting to know her body. The idea was weird to me (society puts such a taboo on talking about lady parts or knowing anything about WHAT THE FUCK is going on down there) but I have been toying wiht the idea a lot lately. My original plan was to finish the packets that I had (got stocked up on stuff before I left guatemala) and then quit at the end of the summer, but maybe I'll just stop now. Just finished a packet, what better time to start? I also forget to take it ALL THE TIME and that can't be good for me. Hm....almost convinced.

and it is DEFINITELY the sugar that's making me toot. I have been eating way more fruit lately than I've been used to, and can't even describe the craziness that went in to my body yesterday (don't remember it all). I will stick to eating sweet potatoes because I love them and they are yummy and perfect, but starting tomorrow will try to really limit sugars for the week and try to recognize impact on gassyness.

p.s. I love your nerdiness. I am an aspiring nutrition nerd, so I have much to learn.

As for vino, I try not to discriminate. Don't want to leave the kiddos feeling badly when they're not my favorite. Although, I will say that a good earthy Malbec, preferably washing down a hunk of grilled lamb, generally makes me sing hymns of joy and praise. Have also lately been into Syrah.

Would love to know the explanation behind your editing reasoning

Quote Originally Posted by primalmontana View Post
    I use nutriva exta vergin coconut oil for cooking and my skin, it's totally awesome!

I notice I have more gas when I eat a lot of protein, like 140+ grams of it. I never really noticed with sugar. Increasing my dietary fat in the beginning had the same effect, but that has since gone away. Anytime I cut something out for a while and then re-introduce it, my digestive tract is not impressed. Is there something you have not had for awhile that was re-introduced?

I can definitely vouge for the pill masking hormonal imbalances. I started taking it in high school b/c my periods were so irregular. I did not know that it was b/c of hormonal imbalances. 6 mo. After I quit taking it, I got pregnant, it was still regulating my hormones. Now, as you know, I can't conceive. It's kinda scary what BC does to your body. It also made me moody and irritable.
    I (in part) am on the pill for period regularity as well, although I'd be intrigued to see how my recent dietary changes (primal) impact that. I do notice I'm a lot happier when I'm not on it too. Hmm...you ladies may be on to something...

Okay, yesterday's update. GAH!

Food
    I will not bother recounting my meals as they were heinous. Cheat cheat cheat cheat cheat. Here are the cheats:

too much fruit
    goat cheese on fruit
    lots of chocolate
    lots more fruit
    GORGE almond butter
    so many cranberries
    sugar in homemade lemonade for rehydration - huge fail, still tasted like salt water
    um......some more fruit
    too much alcohol (6 mixed drinks...mostly tequila...lots of tequila)
    onion rings
    bite of mac and cheese
    french fries
    PIZZA!

Clearly, drinking leads to bad decisions. I drank way too much, but once it starts, it is hard to stop. Yikes.

Exercise
    Farm labor. Walking downtown. More farm labor.

Mood
    Wonky, very up and down, blaming it on sugar and birth control fail

Energy
    after my sugar binge at "lunch" I had a burst of BUZZZZZZING where I was super unfocused but bouncing around, then I crashed. Should've expected that.

Acne
    No change.

Whoops! To start again.

Unfortunately today has not been much better. Exhaustion does that to me. I woke up still drunk and skipped breakfast. BAD MOVE! I Don't understand all these people who don't eat breakfast, who like to workout early without eating first. FAIL. I felt nauseous and light headed all morning. Then came home, supposedly to a family lunch of salmon and greens but couldn't hold out so ate a bunch. apple, goat cheese, just needed food. Reminder to self - ALWAYS EAT BREAKFAST

Food
    12:00 - 4 eggs, sweet potato hash browns (maybe half a large sweet potato), small green apple with goat cheese, 2 dark chocolate squares, some cherries in there, spoonful of almond butter I think? (can't remember....bad sign)
    6:00 - a lot of cheese to stave off starvation pre-dinner. grilled chicken (it really wasn't good...tasted like water) with a bunch of kale with butter and parmesan cheese, a few slices of potato with sour cream. 3 chocolate squares. a few cherries

Heavy dairy day. Interesting. I definitely notice sugar cravings kicking in. Damnit.

Exercise
    Killed myself on the farm. Squatting and standing all day. Hoeing at the end. Lots of bending over. Back pains. Need to bend better.

Mood
    Fine? Nothing noticeable in either direction.

Energy
    Sleepy. Clearly too much alcohol plus too little sleep equals sleepiness. I'm not going to say no breakfast helped that.

Acne
    No change.

Need to kick this sugar crap. Tomorrow I have some quality ice cream planned with family (avoiding boxed brownies and crap ice cream) and then might try and do a long yin yoga session to rekick myself into gear. I finally feel like I'm in a place where I have a handle on my life again. Relieving.

Also, I think I decided that after this month I'm going off of birth control. I guess next week then because just finished taking the hormone pills. It seems very contradictory that I am putting so much emphasis on repairing my body and then still pumping it with false hormones. Any guidance is appreciated. The idea of getting pregnant right now is terrifying.

Also going out for a friend's birthday tonight and am going to try not to drink. Drank enough last night for the week (and spent enough money as well...soooo)

"Clearly, drinking leads to bad decisions. I drank way too much, but once it starts, it is hard to stop. Yikes."

Drinking ALWAYS leads to me making the worst food choices! Last time it was about 3 prices of Bday cake and licking frosting as I threw the rest away! I find that wine does not quite make me binge. But, who drinks wine when there out on the town!!?? I'm a vodka girl myself...

Wipe your conscious clean of the poor food choices, tomorrow is another day.

"Also, I think I decided that after this month I'm going off of birth control. I guess next week then because just finished taking the hormone pills. It seems very contradictory that I am putting so much emphasis on repairing my body and then still pumping it with false hormones. Any guidance is appreciated. The idea of getting pregnant right now is terrifying."

Make sure you are tracking your cycle. There are plenty of apps to help you do this- quick and easy. The run- down of it though is that there is a VERY small window in your cycle in which you can conceive, about 3 days. Typically, it is around day 15 of your cycle. You would want to abstain or protect the day prior and after ovulation (or 2 days on each side to be safe.) If your hormones are functioning properly, your body will go through some obvious changes at ovulation. Increased temp., increased sex drive, creamy/egg-white type discharge (I could find a better way to say this!). So you can track these things carefully the first couple months until you are familiar w/your cycle. It will probably be spot on day 15 b/c you have been on birth control for so long. You could also do an ovulation test the first couple months. Get a 5-day one and start it on day 12 of your cycle. Wow, I should be an OB!

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast