I need help. I've been primal for over a year and half. In the first year I did very little if any distance running at all, mostly high intensity short interval stuff and weights (The Big 5 from Body by Science). I'm 58 years old and a former competitive distance runner. At the beginning of the year I started my running again but keeping it low key, not doing more then 25 - 30 miles a week with one or two days off.

I just returned from a 3 week trip to Germany where I didn't run everyday but did run probably 10 - 12 of the days I was there including two tempo type runs. On at least two nights I had leg cramps on very severe that had me grabbing my leg and out of bed trying to work it out. I've never had that before. I reasoned that my diet was probably to blame as I deviated from it somewhat while I was there but not excessivly. I did drink more alcohol then normal and pastries (but not in excess and not everyday).

Anyway I did not do any exercise of any kind the last 5 days I was there. Upon return while I was still trying to adjust to the time here in the states and going through some jet lag I ran my first morning back, 5 miles, very easy. I was very compfortable, no problems, never got my heart rate above 140. The next day I did my big 5 workout, which I had not done in some time. The next day I did a short interval workout of 8 sprints of about 100 yards each. I was going to do 10 but felt a tightness in my hamstring and backed off. The 8 that I did felt surprisingly easy and I got my heart rate up to 172,not my max but close. I walked a hilly trail the next day easy with friends. My legs felt tired so I did nothing the following day but lay around.

This morning I went out to do a short tempo type run and about a mile and half into it (after a mile warm up) I got a shart stabbing pain in my left calf. I was afraid I might have pulled because it was very painful. I stopped immediately and didn't try to stretch it, I just walked it out and was able to walk back home. My calf is sore but seems ok, I believe it to be just a bad cramp.

I have never had this issue before and it puzzles me because it comes after a light walk day and a day off. I drank water all day yesterday and no alcohol. Theses cramps are new to me and I'm trying to figure out what is going on. My diet changed a little but not that much with the exception of increased alcohol consumption, beer and wine.

I would appreciate any input.

Ron