Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal for Life - my journal page 9

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by his_chick View Post
    How is it going? Thinking of you!
    No luck unfortunately - no loss.

I don't think my new meds are high enough, I feel a bit better, but not great, and I'm still freezing all the time. And of course, no weight loss in spite of definitely knowing I am eating <1400 cal a day, plus exercise.

Hm, I thought I might start this up again, intermittently at least. I have come back to primal because I do believe it is a better way of eating for long term health etc. I haven't successfully lost weight on it, but then I haven't done that on any other way of eating either. If that is going to be the case, then I much prefer to be on a diet that won't lead to diabetes and heart disease and whatever else the SAD is responsible for.

Weight wise - continued nothingness. I went off to count calories, try weight watchers, try a shake diet, do lite n easy etc, but nothing worked, and I am still at 72kg (and the same size).

However, there has been many ups and downs with my thyroid disease. I can't remember where I left off - possibly just on the natural thyroid hormone? Anyway, I was on huge doses of that and feeling zero effect, so the doc changed me to slow release t3-only. Zero, zero, zero effect still. I went back to see her about a week ago with more blood tests. The rt3 had cleared, so obviously I have some sort of cellular resistance to the t3. Also, adrenals are out of whack - cortisol too low in the morning, too high at night - handy in explaining my exhaustion during the day and inability to sleep at night. Also apparently can effect the effectiveness of t3, and weight gain (of course), and cause low blood sugar leading to constant hunger (hello!!), dizziness even when sitting (yes!) and more. Anyway, I asked to change to regular t3, as I have read (mainly from other patients' anecdotal evidence), that slow release t3 is no good at combating cellular resistance, that I need the waves of t3 release that comes with taking the regular t3. So I finally picked that up today and can start tomorrow.

So, fingers crosses, with a primal diet, and the new meds, I may start to 1) Lose weight, as that is the main issue in my mind this whole time, and 2) get some energy - which would be great too. If if could get through the day without napping, even better! Also it'd be nice if my hands and feet weren't yellow anymore...

First full day on t3 only. Obviously it is too early to know whether this will be my magic bullet, weight loss wise, but for the first time in a long time my temps are above 36.5 - up around 36.8 in fact. Still not at the 'magic' 37 that we aim for, but I'm pretty happy with that for day 1. I did start my dose quite high, but then I figured I could because I was on a mega dose of the slow release before.

Breakfast - rice, leftover roast veg, tuna, pesto
    MT - banana
    Lunch - lettuce, mushroom, atrichokes, feta, pumpkin, 2 eggs, mayo
    At - apple, chicken and cottage cheese
    Tea -rice, potato, roast broc and cauli, chicken
    Yoghurt
    Milk in tea

Calories - hmm, about 1700?

50 min walk on treadmill - rain and yucky outside, so I took it easy

BigJilm is offline Senior Member
    Good to see you back Lucy!
    I'll be back

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Wow, you are the first person I've seen mention having yellow hands and feet - an issue which has bothered me for some time now. I've tried not to, but have even worried about it being due to Hepatitis for a long time, especially since I had a pretty significant exposure from a patient some years back, but I'm hoping it's just thyroid related. (I've shoved this fear into the back of my brain and need to just test and get it over with) Have you noticed that you look pretty pale for the first 2-3 hours after you wake up?

I've also noticed that my senses of smell and taste are severely diminished and, at times, almost non-existent. Never had a clue that this could be due to hypothyroidism.

Good luck with the T3 - I hope you are able to have some success with it and start feeling it soon. Hopefully the increased temp is a good indicator of improvements to come! I'm eager to read about your progress.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Ha, yes, and my feet are much worse than the palms of my hands. I also went through a stage of thinking I had something wrong with my liver, but my doc told me that it's an inability convert betacartene into vitamin A, a symptom of hypothryoidism. I haven't noticed the taste and smell thing, but the list of possible symptoms for hypothyoid is ridiculously long. Have you been tested for low thyroid?

I must say though, one thing I hate about this diet is my lack of energy. I posted on the nutrition page two weeks age trying to solve the issue, the general suggestion was more carbs. I've been diligently adding in 1/2 cup rice with breaky and dinner, plus a potato - carbs are up over 150g per day, but I am still unable to the bike ride I had been doing on a SAD diet. I wouldn't mind having no energy if I was also losing weight, but neither.

Interesting, I actually have my temp up to 37degrees! This never happened on slow release, I usually didn't get higher than 36.5. Although I have definitely taken too much today. Interesting actually.

I upped my dose in the morning, and temp didn't get above 36.4, with a too high heart rate.
    So i waited for my temp to drop (a little) but mainly for my heart rate to go back to a healthy level, before taking my next dose.
    Then I took my normal sized next dose - higher heart rate, but not too high, and temp up to 37!
    Might split the diff on my morning dose tomorrow and see how I go.
    One thing is I know I am low cortisol in the am, which may affect my ability to get a normal temp early.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    I do have hypothyroidism, waiting to hear whether or not it's Hashi's. I have more of a conversion issue than anything. I already started on Armour, though. It's been a couple of weeks and so far I have noticed a slight increase in energy and I'm sleeping better, which is huge for me - I'm sure the two are related, of course.

My highest hopes for taking the Armour are that my hair will stop falling out in clumps and that my energy level will be back to what it used to be. I'll gladly take any improvement.

About the am temps and adrenal issues - I would think that will definitely affect your am readings. Are you doing anything to treat your adrenals? (Sorry, I've read back but can't remember) I've seen many advised that treating the thyroid issues without addressing sluggish adrenals can make some people feel even worse by stressing them even more. You may already know all of this, but it was something that popped into my head when reading about your not responding at all to the thyroid dose/formula you were prescribed originally.

Did you get a PM I sent a few days back, right after you returned to the board? Was hoping to compare notes and I don't think you'd been back here to your journal yet, but I could be wrong.

Hope the improved temp is a good sign and some new energy is on its way!
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Hey Jen - I just replied! Sorry, I didn't even notice I had a message! I'm not usually popular enough

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast