Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal for Life - my journal page 7

his_chick is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Good luck Lucy! I'm excited for you!
    Went Primal on 1st April 2012

Since beginning Primal:
    - The stomach cramps I'd been having have vanished.
    - People comment that my skin is glowing.
    - I enjoy getting out of bed (most of the time)
    - I'm so excited by food.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread52255.html

How was it? Was she nice? Did she make any good suggestions diet wise? I'm excited to hear. Can you tell!

Since beginning Primal:

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Just got back home - after seeing the doc yesterday we went to dinner at a german restuarant and saw Lanie Lane, + stayed the night, then had to rush home to get to the compounding pharmacy in time before it shut. I had a few really bad days with eating etc, but back on track as of this morning.

So! The doc. Great stuff. Basically:
    - I have low T3, which slows the metabolism and prevents fat burning etc
    - I have low testosterone, estrogen and progesterone, also stopping weight loss and fat burning
    - I have low DHEA, which causes anxiety, stress, low libdo, inability to lose weight, etc
    - She did a reflex test and where the normal response range was up to 110secs, I took 150sec indicating moderate underactive thyroid, AND she calculated my calories from that and I am burning at least 900 calories LESS per day than what someone my age should (no bloody wonder I couldn't lose!)
    - apparently I do have hashi's, a gluten free diet will reduce the antibodies, and she palpated my thyroid and it IS swollen (first doc to touch it yet), and sending me for an US.

Long story short - she has prescribed me desicated thyroid which I am slowing switching to from the thyroxine, plus DHEA, plus progesterone and testosterone for a short period. This should help with weight loss, fatigue, poor memory, cold hands and feet, yellow hands and feet, exercise recovery and strength, sleep, moodiness, etc etc etc.

I am so so happy and relieved, and also vindicated that it wasn't all in my head, I am not just a hypochondriac, and I am not just a glutton who eats too much.

Diet wise she said no need for any specific restrictions other than avoid gluten. She checked my iodine levels, and D3 etc and they were all fine, plus my triglycerides were even better than the normal range etc, so the primal diet is working in terms of health and getting all my nutrients etc (although I do take kelp and vitamin d tablets). I asked about low carb, avoiding dairy etc but she said no need to bother, once my metabolism is back to normal I'll be able to lose weight.

Woo!

Wow. I'm floored. That's so awesome Lucy. Congrats on finding some answers.

Since beginning Primal:

Cheers. I'm just so relieved and vindicated - I *knew* something had to be wrong, you can't do everything right and not lose and still feel like crap!

primalmontana is offline Senior Member
    I'm so glad you finally got some answers! I have low progesterone and estrogen as well, hormones really do mess with normal functioning!

AbigailLyn is offline Senior Member
    Woohoo! Not necessarily for finding out you have underlying biological issues, more so for figuring out what the hell was going on! Hope this starts to help you see more changes!

Me too! And I understood the woo, I am wooing too. I just have to try and be patient as I'm sure the changes will take a little while to come in to effect, especially since I am easing onto the T3/T4 mix from the T4 only. But the hormones and DHEA may work within a few weeks...

In the meantime I am back to primal eating, only really concerned about restricting gluten not dairy, carbs, caffeine etc. So a much more livable primal than previously.

OK, two good days. Didn't count or anything yesterday as I didn' prep the food myself - buffet breakfast at the hotel (I had natural yoghurt and fruit), then chicken salad from grill'd for lunch, more yoghurt and fruit for dinner.

Today:
    B - piece quiche, pesto
    L - tin tuna, roast veg salad
    Snack - small pce cheese
    T - steak, rocket, onion, leek, butter

Exercise: was going to run but it was raining, so I slept in and did an hour walk this arvo on the tready.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Two good days diet wise, and finally made it back to my PT today after about a month off. Was pretty good, and got to fill her in on all my health news.

Erm...oh man, last night I could NOT sleep. I had about two hours and was wide awake after that. I am hoping it's just the hormones taking a while to settle done, I've only been on them three days or something...

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast