Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: Primal for Life - my journal page 26

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    I'm reading! And can totally relate

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    woo! Glad to hear it!

I must say, there must DEFINITELY be something to this combo of 5:2 and the 'Eating Less' techniques. I haven't been counting calories on my feast days, and still lost a half a kilo this week! I have never been this light, Officially. So unexpected, I really thought it'd be a STS. And I went to lunch with my mum today, and fully checked out the cake stand and didn't eat any - not because I was denying myself and using massive willpower to resist it,but because I literally was like, 'meh, not interested in ANY of that cake'. WTF? Can the conscious focusing on my addictive desires, aka the CBT approaches in that book, actually be working???

I'm off to lunch again today, this time with my husband and some of his friends. I am going to put these new techniques into practice again.

Namely - I can order whatever I want off the menu.
    I can choose food that will enhance my health, or detriment it.
    I can choose food that satiates my addictive desire, and strengthens the hold that desire has over me, or I can choose food (type and amount) that allows me to weaken my addictive desire, and put me back in control of what I eat.
    I can have cake if I wish - but by choosing to eat cake, I also choose to reinforce my addictice desire.
    By not choosing cake, I choose higher self esteem, positivity, long term control over my eating, and will further weaken the strength of my addictive desires.
    If I do choose to eat cake, then this is not the end of the world, and I will not use it as justification to overeat for the rest of the day.
    I can choose to feel addictive desire and not satiate it.

I need to remember to think all of this when I am looking at the menu haha!

Have you read Rational Recovery? It is specifically for alcohol addiction but can be pretty easily applied to food. Sounds quite similar to the stuff you have posted.

I'm interested in this 5:2 thing... but am nervous about those 500 calorie days b/c they may set me up for an awful binge the next day. I assume you aren't really having trouble with this?

Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    Have you read Rational Recovery? It is specifically for alcohol addiction but can be pretty easily applied to food. Sounds quite similar to the stuff you have posted.

I'm interested in this 5:2 thing... but am nervous about those 500 calorie days b/c they may set me up for an awful binge the next day. I assume you aren't really having trouble with this?
    No I haven't read that one, but you're probably right it's probably similar. I think it's based loosley around Cognitive Behavioural Therapy - being conscious of the problem and thinking through it etc (OK, so not a psychologist - that explanation of CBT is probably abysmal!).

Yeah I was worried that the 5:2 would lead me to binge - as I do binge occasionally - but I found I didn't binge any more frequently being on 5:2 than when I was on daily calorie restriction. I.e. if I'm gonna binge, I will use any excuse. Dieting, fasting, not dieting, not fasting. All a reason to binge! I think I probably ate a bit too much on the non-fast days, at first, but got that under control by being more mindful of what I was eating. So yes I do sometimes have trouble with binging - that's what made me start the CBT book and method. The author says that binging is basically a result of dieting and restriction and deprivation, and losing the feeling that you have a choice in what you eat.

Meanwhile, totally didn't have cake yesterday. Wasn't even tempted. I think it's because I am *finally* losing weight, that it now makes sense to me to stick to my healthy eating. Before with the out of whack thyroid, it literally didn't matter what I did, I couldn't lose - so I was like, what the f*ck, may as well eat the cake if I am going to gain weight anyway! Now I have a different outlook. And I am saying to myself, 'I choose not to feed my addictive desire' - because ultimately I want to be in control of my food, not the other way round, and the only way to do that is to continually practice reinforcing the idea of NOT satiating my addictive desire for food. Only by not reinforcing it do I have a hope of it ever fading.

I have decided to change up the fasting a bit. I have been really struggling with two fast days per week - usually I do one well, and the other not so well (end up eating closer to 1000 than 500). And I am starting to dread them. So I read about the 8-hour diet (like lean gains but without the strict rules on when to lift weights etc), and thought I'd do that. But I lvoe breakfast, and don't think I could miss it every day, and I am not quite ready to give up the 5:2 for the health benefits...and I still have those last 2kg to go, so I don't want to risk messing with a good thing too much.

So I am going half way, at least for a month, to give myself a mental break. Dropping the 5:2 back to a 6:1 (maintenance), so I only have to commit to one proper 24 hour fast per week. Then two other days I'll do the 8 hour diet - basically skip breakfast, and have a normal lunch and tea. That way I will save almost as many calories as a fast day (and probably equivalent when you factor that on my second fast day I wasn't saving as much anyway), and two 16 hour fasts. I think mentally those days will be eaier - yes, I have to skip breaky, but I have a proper lunch and dinner on the horizon, not no lunch and meagre dinner like on the one fast day. And hopefully as I will be doing a little more than maintenance, I might still shift a kilo.

Also - big news! I have stated severely cutting back on my pepsi max consumption. It has been an addiction I just haven't been ready to kick yet. Haven't cut it out completely - that never works, but definitely no more 2-3cans per day. It will be saved for my full fast day, and eating out occasions where I don't want alcohool and have had enough of ice water. Must say, already my water intake has increased about 4 fold!

Nice job on the soda front - that was a problem of mine too. Though I probably don't really deserve past tense yet! I was a Coke Zero fan personally. Years ago my chiropractor told me that some studies (in peer reviewed Chiro journals, not necessarily main stream journals) reported an association between diet soda intake and MS symptoms with no MS pathologies. This scared me a little but I didn't give up soda for it. A few months ago I suddenly started noticing tremors and some numbness in my arms. I've always been shaky but it definitely seemed worse. *That* scared the crap out of me so I haven't had a soda in probably close to a month. I have a soda stream at home and carbonate water with that and flavor it with ginger puree/juice.

Still have't gotten the book in the mail yet - hope it comes soon!

Hope those 2kgs come off even with your 6:1 change!

Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    Nice job on the soda front - that was a problem of mine too. Though I probably don't really deserve past tense yet! I was a Coke Zero fan personally. Years ago my chiropractor told me that some studies (in peer reviewed Chiro journals, not necessarily main stream journals) reported an association between diet soda intake and MS symptoms with no MS pathologies. This scared me a little but I didn't give up soda for it. A few months ago I suddenly started noticing tremors and some numbness in my arms. I've always been shaky but it definitely seemed worse. *That* scared the crap out of me so I haven't had a soda in probably close to a month. I have a soda stream at home and carbonate water with that and flavor it with ginger puree/juice.

Still have't gotten the book in the mail yet - hope it comes soon!

Hope those 2kgs come off even with your 6:1 change!

Yeah I have heard all the horror stories too! I think in the past my problem has been giving it up cold turkey. I eventually crack and go back to it, but straight back in the deep end with 2 cans per day. I think this time, by limiting it to eating out occasions and fasting days (where I really need *something*) I might be able to maintain a low intake. I think aiming for zero intake just isn't realistic for me. And I will have reduced my intake severely.

Yeah I'm also crossing my fingers for the last 2kg! Part of me just wants to put the scales away and not care anymore, but part me really wants to know that I get down to 58kg. Maybe once I get there I'll only weigh monthly...

I don't know what it is, but I just cannot do any more 500 calorie days! Even once a week! I dunno if it's because I am just weird, whether I am too much a slave to my hunger, whether it's my thyroid, whether it's because I exercise regularly - or I dunno, but I can't take it any more! I was meant to do a fast today but I just couldn't face it. Decided to eat lunch and switch to an 8-hour eating window type diet. I know I have my concerns about it i.e. that it might be just another restricted caloriet diet and I won't get the benefit of ups and downs of calories, but I need to do something different, otherwise all my fast days will become binge days.
    So I am going to eat 12-8pm (not constantly!) weekends, and then normal (i.e. breakfast) on the weekends in an attempt to get some variation in daily calories going on. And just hope that the 16 hour fast will be enough to reap all the benefits (i.e. ward of dementia, cell repair etc).

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Alrighty, day 1 of my first week on 16:8, and all is going well. I didn't do it over the weekend as I just needed a break from fasting altogether. Although I went out for brunch yesterday and had a 'big breakfast' - so big that I was literally full until 6pm. This rarely happens. Perhaps fasting is slowly changing me.

Anyway, it's almost 12pm, and therefore time to eat - since my designated eating window is 12-8pm. It really is easier mentally to deal with. I didn't dread today all of yesterday. And I haven't been obsessed with thoughts of food all morning. Usually on a 500 cal day it's all I think about. Today, because I know at 12pm I can have a filling and satisfying lunch, I am finding it less of an issue. Skipping breaky was a breeze. Yes I'm looking forward to lunch, but not with the same desperation as on a 500 cal fast day. Which is odd, as I would have had exactly the same amount to eat by now on a fast day. But I guess it's the mental aspect of knowing the rest of the day holds very little relief food wise...

Interesting. It may be that there isn't a one-size-fits all approach to fasting (gee who'd have thunk?). I got caught up with 5:2 hardcorers on 5:2 message boards who are preaching long and hard that 5:2 IS the ONLY way, and how dare anyone claim that it is not EASY. If this 16:8 approach works, then I will definitely stick with it over 5:2. Unfortunately for me, 5:2 is not easy. And no amount of telling me otherwise will change my mind.

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast