Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal for Life - my journal page 23

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    OK well I am not going to change ANYTHING for now - I was down another kg this morning! Could be some post fast fluctuation, but heck, I ain't fluctuated that low in a looooong time!

Also, I think there is something to 'cheat' days!

Tuesday - ate a burger and ice cream, within a week - 1kg down (to 62kg)
    Three weeks ago - ate a burger and ice cream, within a week - 1kg down (to 63kg)
    Can't remember the 64kg loss, but
    Ate a bruger and cheeecake with ice-cream, withing a week - 1kg, down to 65kg!

Pattern?
    Haha, probably not an endorsement for burgers and ice-cream, my favourite cheat meal, but rather an endorsement for occasional higher calorie days etc.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucy1984 View Post
    OK well I am not going to change ANYTHING for now - I was down another kg this morning! Could be some post fast fluctuation, but heck, I ain't fluctuated that low in a looooong time!

Also, I think there is something to 'cheat' days!

Tuesday - ate a burger and ice cream, within a week - 1kg down (to 62kg)
    Three weeks ago - ate a burger and ice cream, within a week - 1kg down (to 63kg)
    Can't remember the 64kg loss, but
    Ate a bruger and cheeecake with ice-cream, withing a week - 1kg, down to 65kg!

Pattern?
    Haha, probably not an endorsement for burgers and ice-cream, my favourite cheat meal, but rather an endorsement for occasional higher calorie days etc.
    I TOTALLY agree and have noticed some awesome results lately by alternating strict days with not-so-strict days - all primal, so far, but higher carb counts and calorie counts in general on the less strict ones. My body is LOVING it, apparently. Paired with the better T3 level I'm assuming I now have, it's working. I'm actually concerned about preserving muscle mass, myself, though. I'm going to look into what might be the most effective regimen that is also the least taxing on the thyroid and adrenals. I just don't want to backslide after finally feeling better pretty consistently.

Keep doing what you're doing! You're on an even quicker roll than the one you were on before you started the ADF, right? Either way, YAY!
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

That's awesome! We're both cooking with gas. Or, more to the point, cooking with T3

And yes, so far, quicker than before - 4kg in 6 weeks. Before I was about 1kg a month. And also this way of eating is alot more manageable - I actually can eat until satisfied and full on feast days, and enjoy meals with fats etc, which I used to have to cut back on for calories. And I am not as much as slave to the blood sugar drops.

Are you far from your goal weight wise?

And yeah, I asked some quick advice elsewhere and basically people just said - eat enough protein, do plenty of lifting heavy things. I already eat a lot of protein, fast days excepted, and I know my downfall really is the weights - not doing it enough. So I am going to commit for at elast a month of three times per week of weights, and see how I go. I won't be able tog et my fat% and muscle% measured again, but I should be able to *see* a difference. Maybe.

Or you could do that steak and eggs diet that some people on here are doing! Personally I like a few more carbs. And pretty sure only eating steak and eggs would leave me extremely constipated.

Well I was very good yesterday and did my weights - upper body is sore today! I also had a post weights protein shake.

Sigh, I am on a facebook group for intermittent fasting, and this woman, around my age, keeps posting about how it isn't working for her. Apart from the fact that she is eating too little in general (although I doubt her claims of eating only 1200 per feast day), she doesn't eat vegetables. When I suggested she eat more, her response was 'waaaah but they taste icky'. This is a grown woman with children! I just said 'well what do you want more, to lose weight and be healthy or not eat vegetables?' When I was 16 I didn't eat ANY veg - I lived on toasted cheese sandwhiches, cereal and pasta. I made a conscious decision that unless I started to eat veg I would ALWAYS struggle with my weight, and slowly forced myself to eat a variety of veg (now I LOVE them and can't get enough!). She also said her only 'carby' meal was dinner, as she only had a sandwhich at lunch (!). I suggested a veg and protein stir fry for lunch, she said she thoguht eating two main meals per day was hilarious! I just don't understand how people can fail to take responsibility for and control of their own lives. You can't behave like a child forever and then complain about the results!

Another day another...I dunno. Dollar I Guess? I kinda get paid for this phd schtick. Although I've been faffing about this week. Not feeling it. Sometimes I REALLY regret starting it. But then I think about how bored I'd be at work right now. Or I'd have a baby and never have had a chance to work out all my metabolic problems.

Up earlyish for a bike ride - fairly slow, wasn't really feeling it. I think I need to pump up the tyres again. How often should one pump up one's tyres?

Still sitting pretty at 62kg, so it's a definite loss! I can't quite believe how easy the weight is coming off now. Not super fast - 4 kg in 6 weeks, but compared to before, it's lightning quick! Last kg took 3 weeks, so I will easily be at goal by Hawaii at that rate.

Fasting is really working for me. I love being about to eat lots of food on feast days, and I really think it's healing my depressed metabolism. Also, I have been able to have the odd treat and still lose - unheard of not so long ago!

I guess also there is the t3 to thank. I am wondering what I will do when I want to get pregnant, whether it's safe to keep taking it, and how will I monitor whether I am taking enough? I'll cross that bridge when I come to it I guess.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Wow, I hadn't realized you'd lost 4 kg in 6 weeks. That's a pretty great rate, especially considering the fact that it's STAYING gone! I'm thinking you should market the burger and ice cream diet - and the "cheat" days would be the ones with the cheesecake thrown in. I guarantee you'd have many people following it with high hopes. Hell, I'd even give it a spin just to be able to eat the cheesecake!

Your story about the lady on FB is pretty funny and at the same time, frustrating. I often just have to quit reading, because "hearing" that someone is desperate for help because "THIS IS NOT WORKING!!", but then in the same sentence announcing the things they refuse to give up is just a total waste of the reader's time. Guess what, people - if you're not willing to give it up, your fat cells won't be, either. You choose!! Oy....

With the ADF, do you find that you feel really energized on your down days? Once I know for sure that my dosage and timing is right and my levels are closer to where we want them, I'm going to see how I feel with one fasting/ low cal day a week, and then eventually move it to two if I'm not feeling any negatives with the one. I'm actually not wanting to do it as a method of losing, though - but for the other benefits. I may even wait until I'm at my goal "weight", even though my true goal is recomp and an improved fitness level, resembling my pre-thyroid crash days. The number on the scale has become less and less relevant, which is great. I'm happy with the trend lately and will leave well enough alone for a bit.

Hang in there with the phd stuff - I admire your hard work! I'm sure you'll be glad you did it when it's all over with.

You know, I've honestly never thought much about hypothyroidism during pregnancy, but I want to say I've read somewhere that some women are able to go down on their meds while pregnant. Their particular bodies, for whatever reason, seemed to function more optimally overall, which included better thyroid function, and I want to say better conversion in the liver. I'll have to see if I can find it. I tend to think there's really something to it because when I was pregnant with my daughter, it was the best I've EVER felt in my life. As soon as she was born, my body rapidly (or more like INSTANTLY!) slid down a steep slope and I was completely miserable, but what truly got me into the MD was a really scary post-partum depression. This was the first time the issue of my crappy thyroid came up as an adult. I also had zero estrogen or testosterone in me, but it was all related. Started on an estrogen patch at the age of 26. Oh, yeah - and Wellbutrin. It was so weird, as I was the happiest I'd ever been in my life, thanks to this beautiful baby girl I now had, but there was this horrible, dark cloud following my every step. I so wish I would have investigated and educated myself more on thyroid health. It's unreal to look back and realize how many things happened to my body and mind for years as a result of what I now know was going on. We attributed much of it to my chronic sleep deprivation, especially once since I was quickly back to working the good old nightshift while nursing a newborn. We weren't wrong about that, as it was a major factor, but there was so much more to it. I have no doubt that the chronic lack of sleep was (and is) probably the most significant contributing factor to my thyroid hell. Thank GOD we're now treating it! I now have a TOTALLY different outlook on life. I know you get that.

I hear you on the steak and eggs thing - I could have done that before, when I still felt good as a VLC'er, but I have no desire to go back to that life for any significant period of time - like you, I finally realized that my body needs more carbs, although I'm still LC by most standards.

How's Joey??
    Last edited by GoJenGo; 05-07-2013 at 05:47 AM.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Ha yeah I know, and someone pointed out to me, 8kg in 4 months, or since the start of the year! So an average of 2kg a month! I still can't quite believe it!! Hm, yes I can write my own book.

It will start with commiserations, how I too have tried every diet and failed, but trust me, THIS DIET WILL work, you just have to commit! Then I will detail and incredibly detailed and complex regime of diet, including the weekly burger and ice cream, which if you stick to 100% you are guaranteed to lose weight, but as it is impossible to follow you will probably fail, and therefore the fault of the diet failure is not the diet but you, the reader. LOL! Yes, I have read many diet books.

OH my god, once I was in the conversation she kept directing stupid questions at me and I couldn't stop. But I am ignoring her posts now. One was, 'OMG, I just ate a muffin with egg and bacon, and a chocolate milk, and I am SO full, how ever will I make 1700 calories?'. And another was, 'It's (4pm-ish) and I have only eaten 600 calories I hope dinner is large!'. B*tch please! I can eat 600 calories for breakfast, AND i do. If you eat SO little how on earth did you get overweight in the first place? (I have already ruled out any metabolic conditions for her, so I can say that without being a hypocrite haha). But honestly, you can't expect to lose weight without effort, or lose weight while scoffing junk food. She is obviously lying to herself about how much she is eating. And if you are lying to yourself no one else can help you.

Um, nah I wouldn't say I feel really energuised, but I don't feel as flat and beat on them as I did initially. And yeah, I think for me, the weight loss si awesome, but I definitely want to stick with it for the anti-cancer and anti-dementia benefits. As well as easier weight maintenance.

Wow, that's really interesting about your thyroid during pregnancy and post-partum depression. They say that untreated thyroid can often be confused with, or at least contribute to, depression. Mother-guilt is the worst (so my mum tells me) - she assures me that no matter what you do, you feel guilty about everything. I imagine that would be intensified with post-partum depression. But I am glad you got through it, and that the thyroid treatment is making you feel even better! I asked a few people online and apparently it's perfectly safe to take t3 during oregnancy and breast feeding, you just need to keep an eye on your dose to make sure you're getting enough. I was starting to have pre-mother guilt that my vanity and selfishness of wanting to lose weight would harm my future babies!

Joey is HUGE, a great big idiot of a thing, but gorgeous and seems to absolute love me. I instill a fear in dogs that is closely entwined with great love and respect from them. I am good at being pack leader

Joey.jpg

The Giant J-Dawg. Not quite the cutie he once was.

Okey dokey, I have decided to drop back to two fasts next week. I have really struggled this week, and as usual I think I took it too far, dove in head first, went the whole hog, etc. So a few weeks at 5:2, and if I don't lose anything for a bit, hey, happy to consolidate my losses so far. Still 5 months to Hawaii! Roughly

Yes, I definitely think droping back to two fasts is the right decision for me. It was a feast day today and tomorrow anyway, but just knowing it's 2 instead of 3 next week feels like a lot less hard work, and a lot less like a diet. Worst that happens is I stay the same! Well, not the worst that could happen, but the most likely thing that could happen

I did a weights session with my PT on Thursday, and man was I feeling it last night/this morning! If your muscles hurt does that mean they are likely retaining water for repair too?

Out for tea tonight with my brother and his wife. I have checked out the menu in advance, thinking of getting a morrocan lamb salad. I'd toyed with pizza, but have already had a hamburger this week. And am thinking of getting a yummy cocktail instead of cake - cherry ripe or toblerone??

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast