Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal for Life - my journal page 22

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Well I can't quite believe it, but I've hit 63kg already! Maybe that binge last week did help after all haha! I am so chuffed - not sure whether it's the thyroid meds, the intermittent fasting, but more likely a combo of the two. Annnyway...no ride this morning, pouring rain and howling wind. Unfortunate, as I have a higher calorie day planned, and had planned to use all my calories, and even though I walked on the tready this morning, I only earned half as much as I would on the ride. But I conferred with my mum, and decided not to change my planned menu. Firstly, obviously whatever I am doing is working, so no need to freak out. Secondly, I need to learn that minor setbacks don't require drastic action and panic. Sure, I had planned for a brilliant week calorie wise, and with this set back, and a probable piece of cake at the christening tomorrow, it won't be that great, but it will still be pretty good.

So for lunch I am doing as planned - zucchini pancakes with a side of bacon. I did compromise a little however, I cooked a batch of pumpkin scones for my husband this morning, and didn't sample (as I usually would).

As an odd aside, I can usually tell when I am going to have lost weight in the morning, because I usually have a terrible nights sleep! Hot and wide awake...is that my body's way of burning of the extra calories?

Not a lot to report. Back up to 64kg alas, after not so great eating on the weekend. Hopefully I'll be back down to 63kg by this weekend, and am determined not to go backwards AGAIN this weekend. Aiming for one step forward, and then another step forwards!

Yay, back down to 63kg. My aim is to STILL be 63kg come Monday morning!

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    One great thing about finally being a little more like normal people in regard to our thyroids is that the little setbacks don't put us right back where we started, like they did when our metabolisms were crappier. They don't seem to wipe out any little bit of progress (or even maintenance) that we'd been able to accomplish. This is where one of those weight graphs would come in handy - where even though there are little peaks and valleys, the overall slope is downward and continuing right along...

That's interesting about your "hot, sleepless nights" and showing a loss the next morning! I never sleep well, so I wouldn't know! I wonder if others experience the same thing.

I want to hear what's in those zucchini pancakes, by the way! I've got some zucchini that's going to go bad and I want to make them today if I can! I'll be out of town all day tomorrow at a volleyball tournament and might take those with me in my little cooler since I could just grab one and eat it during the long day with no decent food options. Plus, they just sound GOOOOOOD.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Yes! Once upon a time a binge would see me put on that 2 kg and not lose it....or take like, 6 months to lose it! Now I bounce back more....

I have actually tracking my weight in myfitnesspal, not from the get go, but from 67kg (2kg down), so when I get to goal I'll post a pic of the weight loss. If I can figure out how.

Ha, well, not that I always sleep that great, but there is a definite feel to those weight loss nights. Waking up a lot, very hot around 3-4am, and huge pees every 2 hours lol. Whereas last night I woke up a fair but, but only had to pee once and didn't get hot. Fascinating reading I'm sure!

Ah, they were not that great. OK, but not that filling, and I ended up eating too much later to compensate. I think they'd have been better off as a side rather than a main. HOWEVER, I have found a veeery yummy banana pancake recipe that I am going to do for breakfast tomorrow - food process two bananas, add two eggs, process more, sift in 3 tbl coconut flour, 1/4 tsp baking sode, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, pinch salt, process til smooth. Then dole out into pan and fry as you would a regular pancake. I have some naughty (ish) sugar free maple flavoured syrup to go on top. Very much looking forward to them!

Anyway, loving the intermittent fasting. I changed to 4:3 this week, and I just feel so much more in control generally. It's so much easier to ignore hunger when you have decided the day before that it is a fast day. I actually find feast days harder mentally.

Anyway, as I said, determined to remain 63kg over the weekend. I have a 20's themed 30th birthday costume party tonight. Luckily we will be a few hours late, as my husband has to finish work first, so I will have a big dinner beforehand (moussaka), and I am driving so no worries there (i.e. booze free me), all I really need to worry about is cake. I am determined no to eat any though. Saving myself for the cake my mum will make on Mother's Day. My costume is this cute black 20's dress, gold elbow length gloves, green feather boa, green and gold 'pearls', and gold head band. It's going to be cold tonight though, so I'll ruin the outfit with a very non-20's jacket!

Well I will actually have some more scientific and accurate results on my progress since the start of the year soon enough. Back at around 70kg, I participated in a research project on diet and skin colour that involved having my body fat etc measured on this special machine. I participated in another one yesterday. Unfortunately I lost the first set of results (or someone threw them out...), but I emailed the lady who ran it and she said she can email me the results again tomorrow. Woo! I am excited to see what the difference is in %fat and % lean muscle mass etc.

I posted this elsewhere, but just to update you Jen, as I know you are just dying to find out:

I had the first body composition analysis done as part of a research project back in November, and then again 4 days ago - so almost 5 months apart. So it was just after I had the one in November done that I changed Thyroids meds.

Now, according to the two tests, I have lost 8kg - 3.3kg of fat, 3 kg of muscle, and I guess the rest is water or other. My body fat % dropped from 32.5% to 31.4% - still over the normal range according to the printout (upper limit for the normal range is 28%). I went from 71.8 to 63.8kg. BMI went from 23.8 to 21.3.
    The Body Comp Analysis also says my skeletal muscle mass is under the normal or recommended range.

So it looks like about what half of what I lost was muscle. The Body Comp Analysis then recommended that my target weight is 62.9Kg, which is a net less of 0.9kg, but to do so I should lose 5.6k of fat, and gain 4.7kg of muscle.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Wow, what awesome info to have! Do you have a plan of attack in mind yet? This is really interesting. I wonder how much of the lost muscle has to do with having to exercise less/differently while avoiding taxing your adrenals, and letting some healing occur, etc.

I've always assumed that some muscle loss is inevitable anytime a person is dropping weight, but I could be wrong. What's your thought? I'm sure you'll be able to gain back the muscle and lose the fat. I also think you'll be amazed by how visible the changes will be and how much you'll enjoy gaining strength.

How are you feeling about all of the new info?

I hope you're still pleased with your progress and aren't discouraged by this.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Indeed! And how much muscle was lost since starting the IF?, which is meant to be muscle sparing...I did get an intermediate measure taken too, in early March, but I don't have the results for that one yet. But the first few kilos were lost on straight calorie restriction, so maybe the damage was done there? Also, the fact that it's 3kg muscle, 3.3 kg fat, and thus 1.6kg water fits in with the fact that I noticed no change in my size the first few kilos I lost, and have always said I don't 'count' those initial lost kilos.

Hm, well, it certainly has spurred me on to commit more to weights. I usually aim for twice a week, but realistically it's 2-3 times a fortnight. Always 1x week with my PT, but the session I am meant to do by myself often gets skipped for a walk. So I am going to aim to do three weights sessions a week - one with my PT, twice at home. I just have to get over the fact that I can burn more calories with cardio - even though I know logically the muscle is better overall, in terms of higher BMR etc, so I just have to commit.

I already eat protein at every meal, so that should be OK. I might have to think about changing my fast day meals to more protein. We'll see.

Also I read cortisol can inhibit muscle growth/cause muscle loss, and I have been supplementing with it for my thyroid...although I don't think that would hurt, as I am supplementing to get to a normal level, but I am going to start weaning myself off them soon too.

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast