Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal for Life - my journal page 20

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Oh yeah, now wearing a belt I bought in Hawaii a year and a half ago as it is FINALLY fitting.
    Also, trying VERY hard not to jinx myself, but the scales said 64kg this morning.
    Maybe this fasting thing really IS as awesome as everyone makes out?? (now that my thyroid is behaving)

BigJilm is offline Senior Member
    Hi Lucy,

On your fast days, what are you consuming to keep under 500 cals? Just simple things like coffee, small salad? ...or barely anything?
    I'll be back

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hey Lucy, you are doing so well. Way to go.

Thanks guys!

Um, regarding the fast days, yes, eating up to 500 calories.
    So no breakfast (some skim milk in coffee as I can't pass up my morning coffee, and can't stand it black),
    then tuna salad for lunch (1 can, some cottage cheese, apple cider dressing, and rocket), and then same for dinner except a poached egg instead of the tuna, and then some more skim in a decaf or two. That's 500calories! Hungry work, but it's only for one day and I just get through on the promise of a big breaky the next morning!

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Wow, you are seriously on a roll! It sure looks like you've hit your stride now that your thyroid appears to be in a happy place. I was crossing my fingers that the ADF (or any type of fasting) wouldn't be received by your body as a source of stress now that your entire system is working so much more efficiently, and it certainly seems to be responding well. What an awesome place to be!

Jeans, a "new" winter wardrobe and now your belt! Yay, YOU!

Have you still been doing the same thing with the T3 as you have for the last months? How about exercise, are you feeling energetic and wanting to do it more often? (the exercise, that is!)
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Yeah, I think just in general, the thyroid had to be sorted our BEFORE anything else would work!

Also I read an article that basically said long term calorie restriction is met with more stress than intermittent fasting. I think the study compared daily restriction, to 12 hour fast, 36 hour fast and 72 hour fast. Calorie restriction can with a decreased metabolism, 12hour fast showed no diff in metabolism, 36 hour fast saw an increase in metabolism, and it wasn't till over 72hours that the metabolism started to dip, similar to calorie restriction.

Whilst it has worked for me, definitely would not recommed fasting to anyone whose thyroid isn't sorted out yet!

Um exercise is weights x 2 per week, 4 rides per week, and roughly 6 walks.
    No change to meds, although once I get to goal I am going to work on weening myself off the cortisol, and then getting on as low a dose of t3 as is possible.

Darn daylight savinings (ending)! I am fasting today, so ideally a sleep in would have been good - less awake time feeling hungry. But oh no, I had to wake up at 5.50am! Which I guess is really almost 7am in old time, but means a longer day for my fast. I did a bike ride, and had some coffee, now just doing some uni work, waiting for models to run on my laptop - super slow.

Also difficult - my husband got home from work today, and so far the small of honey on toast has wafted upstairs (always an intoxicating smell!), and now the smell of pumpkin scones.

Ah well, repeat to self, 'this is working, this is working'.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    During my short stints of JUDDD, I always went with higher fat down days. It kept my hunger in check much more easily, and the smaller volume of food seemed to be great for my digestive tract. I didn't go nuts with carbs on the up days, either, but on the down days I got much more mileage from 500 cals of fat and protein than I did when I aimed for volume and the feeling of a full stomach.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

OK, feeling really weird today - had a dizzy spell earlier - with the hot and clammys and needing to sit down before I fell down etc, as well as a flat mood, and I have been really hungry too. Have had heaps of extra food today, about 350cal over what I planned....

I have decided to treat this week as an 'experiment', to try and avoid all or nothing desparation and binging. I.e. - previous two weeks I have smashed my weekly calorie goal by over 1500 cal (i.e. net aim was 1300 x 7 = 9100, but with exercise and fasting I came in about 1500 under). This week, due to the two days of eating out AND losing about 700 calories of exercise across the two days, and then on top of that raging hunger today, I won't be anywhere near this.

So instead of dispairing and stressing, my experiment is - what happens on the weeks where I don't totally smash the goal? What happens if I just eat a little more? Hopefully it'll show me that nothing bad happens, and I won't freak out next time this happens, as there will always be weeks where perfection isn't possible! The whole point of this diet approach is flexibility anyway, so what's the point of I am going to stress all the same?

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes, I think that what happens over several weeks is more important than any one day. There's often part of the month where it's almost impossible not to eat more, but I've found that it does not destroy my results in the whole scheme of things.

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast