Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal for Life - my journal page 13

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hope the scale is still cooperating with you! I totally agree about continuing to keep calories in check while addressing the hormone issues. I think the two are necessary until you've gotten the weight off that was gained during the hormonal havoc. After that, I'm not sure you'll have to watch them like a hawk anymore. I'm curious to hear what the experience has been for others as far as maintenance goes. I'd think that with the faster metabolism, you'd be able to ease up and instead of gaining like you would have with that sluggish hypothyroid metabolism, you'll be able to maintain. We'll see. Just another chapter in the neverending n=1 saga!

How are you feeling today? Anything new or exciting as far as life in general goes?
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    True, I'd like to be less militant about it all, and be able to enjoy the 'fat' that others on this board seem to be able to eat without any concerns. Ah well.

It's times like these I wish I had a digital scale. I have one of the older ones that just has the little...I dunno what you call it, like a speedo when you're driving, but for weight. Today I was of the opinion that it was on the low side of 68, but I could still see the 67 increment, so who knows. At least I seem to have stabilised at 68, lowest for a long time. Actually I remember the last time I weighed this much. It was in Hawaii, having dinner after ziplining earlier in the day, which we'd been weighed for. Of coure it was in pounds so I didn't actually know at the time what that was, so my husband did the coversion for me on his phone later at dinner when I asked him and I nearly cried! I did cry actually. Certainly didn't enjoy the rest of my meal haha.

How are you going hormone wise? Feeling better? Any weight loss success?

Life wise, not much is going on. Just working on my phd, working at my work, walking every day. Had a busy holiday season, so it's nice to just relax and do nothing, and also give my body the chance to recoverer and lose weight.

I was walking this morning and an older gentlemen ran past me, making some comment about how I should run the rest for him. I just smiled and said no thanks. I still get the guilts and feel like I should start running again sometimes, or other intense exercise, but then I remind myself that if running was going to work for me, it would have worked a year ago when I was running every day and doing half marathons. I think I fully tested running, gave it the full chance to help me whittle away to a whippet, as all th erunning mags say, and it didn't work. Obviously that is just not the right approach for my body. I just have to keep remembering that. Once I am fully healed, I may give the sprint ago, that PB recommends. I see so many runners out there, especially women who look like they have the same weight troubles I did. I want to yell at them to be careful, lest they end up like me!!!

How about you, anything interesting going on?
    Last edited by lucy1984; 01-16-2013 at 03:24 PM.

Hm well I think I jumped the gun thinking I was losing weight. After that initial 1 kg loss, nothing is happening.

I love poached eggs, but I hate making them. I've never mastered that darn whirlpool method - I always end up with eggy water. I used to do the thing where you wrap them in cling-wrap, but I always felt guilty about using all the clingwrap. Anyway, my sister bought me some poach pods for christmas, and I finally got round to using them this morning.

DISASTER. Instructions say - grease, crack egg into pod, then float in a saucepan of boiling water now on simmer, and cover. I did this, and the water completely boiled up out of the pot, and all through the eggs, so I had to chuck them. I tried again, with the lid half-on half-off, but they didn't really cook properly, so I ended up nuking them for 5 secs which completely missed the point of poaching them in the first place, and my yolk was not runny.

Sad face.

OK, don't want to get ahead of myself, but I appear to have dropped another kilo! I think I keep getting panicing about it, because for the past two years I have been so convinced that every new med or dietary change was going to work, and it hasn't, and now that something is actually working, i think it's too good to be true, and surely I will wake up with all the weight back!
    But so far down to 67kg, so chuffed. Not sure what the ultimate goal is, depends what I weigh when I fit back into my skinny jeans! I am going to go for gold though! Keeping my fingers crossed that this just *keeps working*! Then I can comfort all thyorid surferers that success is possible!

Thankfully it appears that I have maintained the loss. I still can't believe this is finally happening! And with seemingly little effort. Probably selling myself short there, I am walking daily, and weights twice a week, and watching what I eat, but I have been SO much mroe extreme and strict in the past without success, that this now seems too easy! Knock on wood, definitely not complaining!

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    GREAT NEWS!!! I have somehow missed a few of your posts. I recently saw the one in which you had lost a kilo and then were frustrated that the scale wasn't going down further more quickly.

I had started ANOTHER post using my phone while at work and lost the whole thing! After reading your last couple of posts, though, I'm even more encouraged to repost the gist of the one I lost.

I feel very strongly that this slower weight loss IS the only weight loss that is going to stick! The best thing you can do is to keep doing exactly what you are doing now - your "new", more efficient metabolism is going to get you back to where you want to be! The worst thing anyone can do now that this has started happening is to try to hurry things up - I'm convinced that our bodies will rebel and likely downregulate again in order to ensure survival. Taking in this same amount of calories, not overstressing your system with more vigorous exercise, etc., will let your body know that it's ok to continue to let go of the weight because your needs are being met and the overall system is functioning much more efficiently. Stay the course, and enjoy feeling good!

Did you ever see that graph that someone posted a year or two ago showing just how non-linear weight loss is? For me, it's a very convincing argument for why weighing daily is a bad, bad idea - especially for those who stress over it. I need to find it - it made me realize how much impatience was sabotaging my efforts. I'd panic and assume that what I was doing wasn't working if my weight went up slightly over a day or two and wouldn't continue down one path long enough to see what truly worked and what didn't. No telling how much cortisol I was kicking out as a result of all of the mind games!

I'll look for it. In the meantime, CONGRATULATIONS! Has this helped you to relax now that you have sustained success under your belt? You have every reason to be super optimistic now, and that will help, too!

How's the rest of life? Still pretty hot where you are?
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

YAY! I know, still not quite believing it. And yes, I agree with you on not changing anything, I want to get there sustainably. The last few days my calories have been up around 1700 anyway, so if I can lose on that level all the better! I think it must work this time, it must be the meds kicking in, as I haven't changed anything else. I was thinking, back in the day when I was doing weight watchers and running daily, my net calories must have been as low as 700 some days, and I still gained weight! Pre-t3 of course.

And yes, I think i have seen similar graphs....I am still a daily weigher though. Hard to believe from my despairing posts, but I am an essentially optimistic person. My despair came from over two years of failure. However I still managed to get enthused and committed and REALLY believe that each new diet or med would work. I think if I wasn't optimistic then I'd never have got this far. I'd have given up a year ago, stopped trying when the doc told me I'd always struggle with my weight now that I had a thyroid condition, I'd have never found a doctor willing to listen, and I would probably have gained another 20kg. To the point, if I don't weigh every day, I get optimistic and think that I *must* have lost some weight, or even that eating a bit more is *surely* helping - and the control goes out the window. Also, having been so optimisic, it's even WORSE when I weigh myself a week later for it to still be zero. So I am a daily weigher, but I try to take daily fluctuation in my stride. Also I LOVE weighing myself at the moment!

The weather hasn't been too bad...we had some scorchers, we have had record high temps in Australia, thankyou global warming, but luckily they haven't been extended heat waves, just one day then cooler temps. And I don't live in bushfire areas or anything. Apart from that just getting ready for a conference and the presentation I need to do to be allowed to go on to my final 2 years of the phd. Oh and my parents are getting a puppy on Satursay, so I anticipate being a constant presence at their place for a few months! Actually this Saturday is Australia day, so it must be a long weekend. How about you?

About half a kilo up this morning, but as I said in my last post, I expect some daily fluctation, plus I did a weights workout yesterday arvo which usually causes me to retain some water.

Also my parents are picking up their puppy tomorrow - can't wait to visit!!

Woo, back down again, as suspected.
    These updates are boring...I may stop until I have something worth sharing.

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast