Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal for Life - my journal page 11

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Not blunt at all, and even if it were, I'd have no problem with it! No point in mincing words. I get what you were saying, anyway.

What positives have you noticed after having started the t3? Glad to hear that you're already feeling some improvement there. How or when will you know you've found the right dose/timing for now - are you just going by how you feel combined with your temps, etc.? It will be nice when you've found your sweet spot (for the time being) and can just take your pills when it's time and not have to think about it so damn much!

When's the next bike ride?
    Last edited by GoJenGo; 12-16-2012 at 03:24 PM.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Hm, well I am definitely feeling more 'awake' - it's hard to explain. You know when you are hypothyroid you just feel a bit foggy, a bit exhausted all the time? Now I am feeling bright and alert. And I haven't been needing naps morning and afternoon - like, not even really daydreaming about napping!

As for the right dose, I guess it will be when my temps are consistently up, and also when I start to lose weight! And maybe eventually when my hands and feet return to a normal colour.

I think I will probbaly always routinely check temp and heartrate, even if it's just weekly, once I am at the 'right' dose, as demands can change over time.

Today went well - same deal as yesterday, 20mcg an hour before waking, then 30mcg at 9am. The morning dose doesn't *quite* get me there - in a few days I'll either push it back to earlier, or more likely increase the size. The second dose gets me to 37 degrees, and my heart rate is still low 80's, which is good. Yesterday I took another dose around 4pm when things started to drop. I may do that again today, depending on how things are going.

Hm, may do another ride Thursday. I don't want to over do it.

I know what you mean about feeling "awake". That's been the biggest difference I've noticed since starting the Armour. It also seemed like I started sleeping a little better, which surprised me. Going to see my endo NP today to see what my estrogen and progesterone have been doing - looking for a verdict on whether or not this bum ovary even works anymore. My guess is that it's a goner and has been for some time. We'll see, though.

I have a feeling we'll increase the Armour after I've done my six week bloodwork. At least I'll know today whether or not it's Hashi's and can restart the iodine if I don't have antibodies. It seemed like I felt better when that was part of the regimen, and I wasn't even on the Armour yet.

What's new with you - how are you feeling?

- Robert Louis Stevenson

I am very glad to hear that you are also feeling some positive effects! I also am sleeping better - it seems odd doesn't it? I hope you get some good, or at least conclusive, news from the doc.

Personally feeling good, just waiting for weight loss! Actually, my temps were up from the get go this morning, and I noticed a pattern - days when i exercise, my temp plumets in the morning and I struggle to get it up before noon. Days I don't exercise, it seems to be up early and stays up. I asked on a mailing list, and apparently this is the low cortisol issue. When a normal person exercises, they can produce extra cortisol, and so cope with the exercise. When an adrenal fatigued person exercises, their body can't produce the cortisol. Which in turns means the t3 can't be utilised properly. Hence low temps etc.

So I have a few options. 1. stop exercising for a while, but I don't really want to do this as I don't have severe fatigue. 2. Keep going with the circadian method to try and heal my adrenals. or 3. Take some cortisol before exercising to help my body cope. Which the doc prescribed me but I haven't used yet.

Or I could exercsie in the afternoons when my adrenals are OK, but it's mid Summer here and the weather is just too awful even to walk in the afternoons.

How hot is it there? That's too bad, because walking sounds just like what you should be doing for exercise. Do you think that walking earlier would be as problematic as a tougher workout at the same time? Maybe there's a comparable low intensity but fat burning workout you could do indoors? I agree with you that stopping exercise completely is probably not the route to take - I think that makes things worse, especially when workouts are a source of stress relief. They also seem to help with water retention and overall circulation which can make a big difference in how I feel - not to mention the difference in how my clothes fit!

So, good news on a couple of fronts. No thyroid antibodies and therefore no Hashimoto's, which means I'll be back to taking the small amount of iodine which seems to make a difference in my overall metabolism. I'm really confused as to why my liver sucks at conversion like it does, but it does. I'm not sure what else I can do to improve the health of my liver - haven't had a drink in two years, I eat a very clean diet, take Milk Thistle, NAC, Glutathione and other recommended supps, and start my day off with a big ole glass of water with lemon juice (and salt for the lovely adrenals!).

It also looks like the bum ovary may have ovulated, although my levels of all hormones are reeeeallly low. (No surprise with only one subpar ovary!) I knew this, but now I have it in writing. Considering starting back on very low dose Estrogen, I'm definitely starting back on Testosterone and I have a Progesterone script that I may or may not use. (I stopped the Estrogen after being primal for a while helped me become migraine free - that was my biggest symptom that I was in no way willing to live with) If the Progesterone will help me sleep, I'll be thrilled and will consider it a success. I know there is a link between it and Cortisol/adrenal issues. Many women suffering AF/Insufficiency have low Progesterone, probably as a result of it. I need to read back up on it all, though. I've read so damn much, it's ridiculous and a review is in order. I'm sure you can relate! I canNOT wait until my nightshift life is finally over - about 2 and 1/2 more years. I doubt I'll be dealing with any of this crap ever again once that change is made.

Ok, more than enough about me. I keep meaning to ask - how much weight you are hoping to lose? (Maybe asking how many sizes in pants is a better way of phrasing the question!)

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Hm, well it's only early summer, but the forecast today was 38C (I think that's about 100F?). I don't think it got there today though, but it has been pretty hot and humid. I walked this morning at 6am and it was hot. I actually tried a walk yesterday evening, but it made me feel sick and my temp went down. Also, the plummeting body temp was happening when I walked too, not just riding. Sounds ridiculous I know. I took some cortisol today to test how it would go, and it's amazing, my temps stayed up, and I have needed less t3 than I had been taking. The doc prescribed it for 'if needed', to sort of give my adrenals some help, so maybe taking it for a few weeks will help them recover? Definitely going to stop bike riding for at least a month, and just walk. I can't do nothing, so walking is the best option.

Good news about the Hashis - there may be a time in the future when your thyroid is healed! Also you can eat capsicum again If the iodine helps then that definitely is a good start.

I think I know how you might be feeling about all the meds. I hate the fact that I am swallowing a fist full of hormones etc every day, especially as primal is meant to be cleaning living - no additives! But I figure, I am at the point where a good diet just ain't gonna fix what's wrong, at least not within 5 years and without first gaining 20kg. So hopefully some time on the hormones helps us both. And you genuinely need it, given you have one partly-functioning ovary anyway. You can't compare yourself to other people in different situations.

As to weight - well, technically I have gained about 12kg over the past two years. I got married Oct 2011, and had gained 6 kg at that point from Dec 2010, then by the time I got through my honeymoon I was 72kg. I gained like crazy in Hawaii, in spite of the fact that we were very active every day - hikes, biking, snorkelling, swimming, walking, you name it. I actually did not pig out - indulged a little, but generally was pretty good, eating salads, only got dessert a few times, didn't drink much. In retrospect I think it was the adrenals collapsing after a stressful year (wedding + last minute applying for phd + stressful job/work situation + running daily trying and trying to lose weight, including training for and running two half marathons).

Anyway, I have been trying hard since then to get it all off, no luck.

I don't necessarily think I'll have to lose all 12kg to get back to where I was, since I don't *look* like I've gained ten, I look like I've gained about 6kg (all on my legs). So I would love to get back to say, 65kg, and back into the pants and skirts I was wearing before this all happened.

That sounds like a perfect storm for adrenal issues! The cortisol test-drive today sure sounds promising, though! It seems like I've read that other people have had similar results, now that I think about it. That would be great to be able to give your glands a break for a while - it sounds like they need it. I'm not surprised it reduced your need for the t3, either - that sounds promising in itself as it may be the root cause of all of it. Hopefully fixing one issue will fix it all! Fingers crossed for ya.

I am pretty pleased with the non-Hashi's confirmation. I absolutely love all things nightshades, but have always had to be a little careful of overconsuming - I could LIVE on home-grown tomatoes. I practically did while growing up. Now that I'm older, I get achy if I overdo it. I also end up with a mouth full of canker sores. FUN!! (Sometimes it's totally worth it, to be honest!)

I just read a thread about the end of the world and what people would eat for their last meal/binge/stuff-fest. What would be on the menu for you?

- Robert Louis Stevenson

At the time I thought it was a low stress wedding - and compared to most it really was! We didn't stress the details, etc, and all the decisions were so easy. But the whole time I was struggling just to maintain my weight, so I could fit into my dress (note, just to MAINTAIN, I wasn't trying to LOSE any), and I gained 6kg! That was majorly stressful. And of course, the running. And a job that was stressful but unrewarding, hence two weeks out from the wedding, and three weeks to the application deadline, I decided to apply for a phd. Geez!

I am also a fan of tomatoes! I have hasi's but I don't avoid nightshades never having noticed a difference.

OK, well this is going to sound very wrong, because if the world was ending my last meal would definitely NOT be primal! It'd have to be pizza - a few types, meatlovers, peperoni, etc. With a cheesy garlic bread made with soft white bread to start. Dessert would be cheesecake with ice cream. And dates. And a big vanilla thickshake. And some rocky road for dessert. HA. And then nibble on chips and lollies whenever my stomach made an ounce of room. And if the world didn't end, that meal would finish me off anyway! Oh, then I'd get really drunk on kahlua and milk and vodka slushies to stop me getting too hysterical, and maybe even not notice when the world ends.

What would you eat?

I don't think it sounds "wrong" at all! The last thing I'd be worried about would be how primal my last bites were! I'd hit all of the stuff I steer clear of - and it's funny to read your list and see how much more we have in common - several of those are on mine! Rocky Road has been my favorite ice cream pretty much all my life, (followed closely by pistachio) and cheesecake is my ultimate indulgence. Being allergic to dairy is hell when you're a cheesecake lover, but maybe that's a good thing that it keeps me far, far away from it! I'd also love a thick shake with banana, marshmallow and chopped walnuts on top. Before all of the sinful desserts, I'd attack at least one piece of pizza - but I'd have to leave room for some cheese enchiladas and maybe some nachos. (Mexican food could motivate me to perform all kinds of superhuman feats) There's a drink I loved called a Colorado Bulldog - if you like Kahlua and milk, you'd love those! I'd chase all of that good grub down with one....or twelve. I have a feeling I'd barf at least once before reaching the booze, but that doesn't mean I can't talk a big game!

Fortunately, the world doesn't appear to be ending! That said, how's the fight to win back your old metabolism going? Did you take the cortisol again? I hate the heat and definitely can't stand it when it's humid, too, so I feel for ya having to exercise in it especially when it's already icky at 6am!

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Fair enough, I am sure there are some primal purists out there who wouldn't go off plan even for a 'last meal'

As for the metabolism - I dunno. Still no weight loss, so I guess not great!

Meanwhile, the holiday my husband and I had been planning to the UK in June fell through, as he can't get the time off, so we're going to go to Hawaii again in Sept instead. I have mixed feelings about this. While I LOVED Hawaii, and am so enthused to go back to Maui, and see Kauai for the first time, and do all the great snorkelling and hiking etc, part of me is worried that a) I'll still be the same size when I go , and b) I'll gain another 6kg over there! At least I have til Sept to keep trying to work this out. I'd be happy enough being the size I was when I went last time. Which was still uncomfortable for me, but just passable in shorts.

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast