Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Italy! Need some suggestions page

mauretto is offline Junior Member

Hello from Italy! Need some suggestions

Primal Fuel
    Hello all!

I've found this forum a while ago ind lurked it for a long time. I found a lot of intresting stories, useful tips and informations so at least i've decided to take teh step and post an introduction of myself.

I'm 30yo, wok as an engineer and always been into sports. I did mountainbike races since few yeatrs ago but now i'm not into competition anymore, i just do it for passion. I also love rock climbing, trail running, hiking, snowboarding and nordic skiing...everything involved with the mountains! I also go to teh gym for conditioning and build strenght and endurance wich i need for the mountainbike and rock climbing.

Right now i'm 5ft11" and 137lbs so a bit (!) underweight...

It all started after a year of work abroad where i gained about 20 pounds of fat and lost a lot of lean mass, so when i got back home i went on an hig pro-low fat low carb diet style wich took me back to 145 lbs. But something wasn't going right, i felt always bloated, i had still some fat on my abs, i was always tired and with muscle soreness.

Since i discovered this kind paleo-like diet style wich i became very intrested into. I'm following a quite strict paleo since 2 months now with very good results. I also gave up with the classic gym and get involved with bodyweight exercise. I found a lot of inspirations for my trainings on this forum and also from Al Kavadlo's blog, bar-barian forum and so on. I enjoy this kind of high intensity-short time activity soooooooo much more than the classic 2 hours in the gym doing isolation exercises. Now that my gym subscriprion will expire, i'm looking to buy a power tower and maybe a rack for squatting and start to do my routines at home.

I got a decent six-pack now, my muscles are very well defined, i'm growing my strenght up, the only thing is my actual body weight that i think its' way too low...Don't know if i exercise too much, eat too little or both. Here's my usual week exercise routine and meal plan:

3 times a week bodyweight routine, 2 times a week mountainbiking (enduro-allmountain style, also a bit of downhilling in the summer), 1 time a week rock climbing or hiking or sprinting , 1 day of rest or move slow/play as Mark calls it.

6.30am breakfast: black coffee, 2-3 raw egg yolks mixed with shredded coconut and cinnamon, 2-3 egg whites cooked omelette-style in a pan with ghee and shredded coconut all over, a couple of servings of fruit (a kiwi and some berries, or some fresh ananas with a kiwi etc...), cup of green tea
    12.30pm lunch: i eat at work's canteen so my lunch is usually a mixed salad with a fruit (usually an apple), serving of chicken-turkey-fish or beef, serving of cooked vegetables, all dressed with olive oil.
    8-9pm dinner: like lunch but more quantity (meat and fish are always in the 12-14 oz range).
    I always eat until satisfied.

I workout after work so around 6pm. My post workouts are whey+vitargo if i do strenght exercise/bodyweight routines etc and bcaa+bananas if i go for a mountain bike ride or a run.

I don't snack during the day, except maybe in some ddays when i eat a fruit or some almonds in the afternoon...i simply don't feel the need.

I take the carbs only from fruit and vegetables, sometimes after an heavy workout i rely also on potatoes or rarely on rice. In fact i gave up everything with is cereal related and all the refined sugars, all kinds of junk food and soft drinks, almost all kind of dairy and i must say that i don't miss them at all...I don't have any carbo-craving at all (when i was on my previous hig pro - low fat - low carb once a week i had a massive craving for any kind of carbo!) . For example if i have to choose a dessert after a meal between a fruit or a slice of cake i take the fruit with no esitation!

My main goals now are to keep have fun with my bike and climbing, but at the same time build some decent lean muscle mass in order to gain some pounds and get on the 145-150lbs mark. If you have any suggestions i would appreciate them so much!

So i think i wrote a bit too much...thanks for your patience!
    Last edited by mauretto; 04-30-2012 at 01:16 AM.

anyone?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    you gotta add a TL; DR man. suggestions about what, specifically? that's a biography you posted there.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I'm in a similar situation- I'm 5'10" and just over 150lbs, and I'm just struggling to eat enough to gain mass. The lifting part isn't that difficult (yet) but trying to grow muscle takes a lot of eating.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    How about adding a bit more fat and lots more carbs to your meals in the form of sweet potato, white potato, squash, rice, etc?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    ^ I agree - with jammies. As you're active you need more starch. Risottos and home-made gnocchi using rice flour instead of wheat flour are good options post-workout. Also goats cheese, milk and yoghurt are very beneficial for building muscle if you don't have problems with goat's dairy.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Boneidle24seven is offline Senior Member
    Hi Mauretto,

I have the same problem. 5' 11" 156lbs. I do bodyweight routines 3 times a week and ride my mountain bike on weekends. No matter what I eat I never gain weight, and if occasionally I do, it's always round my belly. I've been concentrating on trying to build my upper body mass with only minimal gains. I think Barbie looks more muscular than me. If you find the answer, let me know. Good luck with your quest.
    http://www.richardlongart.co.uk/

http://www.primalish.net/

“You have to know the past to understand the present.”
    ― Carl Sagan

hehe ok man, wish i knew the answer
    maybe like they say is just a question of keeping some "good" carbs higher, expecially in the meals after work out...

Bioletti is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mauretto View Post
    anyone?
    Ciao, Mauretto. Benvenuto al MDL. Scherzando, pero, credo che sara difficilissmo abandonare la pasta, no? In bocca la lupo.
    "After all we did for Britain, selling all that corduroy and making it swing, and all we got was a bit of tin on a piece of leather, an MBE." --George Harrison

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    ^ Credo di si. Ma c'e' buona fortuna - il risotto e' permesso.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast