Thread: excessive vitamin k levels page

pipermaru is offline Junior Member

excessive vitamin k levels

Primal Fuel
    Hello all,

I am posting for a friend. She is a SAD eater. Her internist checked her vitamin levels and twice came back that her Vitamin K levels were extremely high (3800). The internist sent her to a nutritionist and both are stumped as to what's causing this and if it matters. From what we've looked up on the internet, high levels aren't toxic if you're not supplementing (which she isn't). She eats a lot of broccoli and spinach but I doubt it's enough to drive the levels up to those numbers. Wondering if anyone had any insight as to what could be causing such high levels, whether it should be of any concern, etc.

Thanks in advance!

peril is offline Senior Member
    Vitamin K is an essential part of the body's metabolism of calcium. High Vitamin K is protective against osteoporosis, tooth decay and vascular diseases. AFAIK, there is no toxicity, but I'm not an expert.

Really interested to know her diet. We should all be trying to increase our Vit K levels
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Linny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Vitamin K is an essential part of the body's metabolism of calcium. High Vitamin K is protective against osteoporosis, tooth decay and vascular diseases. AFAIK, there is no toxicity, but I'm not an expert.

Really interested to know her diet. We should all be trying to increase our Vit K levels
    I thought that was Vit K2? Isn't regular vit K for blood clotting?

fuzzylogic is offline Senior Member
    Broccoli, spinach, lettuce, red wine, liver, anything green and leafy---yeah, all of those will up your vit K levels. Not a big deal unless you are a warfarin patient.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    I thought that was Vit K2? Isn't regular vit K for blood clotting?
    K2 is more potent than K1, but K1 is also good. Both get converted within the body but to different variants of the active substances
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Any chance it was actually her potassium that was high? The symbol for potassium is "K" so sometimes people get them mixed up.

Or is it possible that she is on any blood thinners? Apparently they can cause an artificially high vitamin K level on some tests.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

pipermaru is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    she is definitely not on any blood thinners and it was definitely vit k that was high, not potassium (i asked this question myself)...

her diet is something like a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast, turkey sandwich for lunch and chicken with broccoli for dinner, a candy bar here or frozen yogurt and there.