Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I lose *fat*?? page

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member

How do I lose *fat*??

Shop Now
    OK, I've been primal about 4 months. I've tried higher carbs (up to 100g) - no loss. The only time I've lost *anything* this entire time is two weeks ago when I went VLC--LC, and I lost 1 kg. But a further week VLC saw no further loss. And my measurements didn't change at all, so I am assuming it wasn't even fat loss but water. Or even just less vegetables in my digestive system. I'm not sure what else I can do? I do weights 2-3 times per week, sprint once per week, and the rest I mix up with some shorter cardio sessions (bike ride, run, box). My last month is documented here http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread52147.html
    A few cheats, but overall I'd say 80% primal, and actually the one time I went off my plan (for a friends 30th) and ate some cake, it was the week directly after that that I lost the kilo.

How do I lose this fat? How do I make my body want to burn it's fat stores? I rarely go over 1400cal, mostly hit about 1200ish, so there is definitely a deficit there - why won't my body mobilise??

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Do you eat dairy?
    The small amount of cheats might be enough to stall weight loss, it does for me.
    You could even need to eat more. How do you feel overall?
    What kind of weights are you doing? Barbell and heavy, with low reps?

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    You might try some intermittent fasting. Maybe eat normally each day, but pick one or two days per week spread out where you only eat one meal. Just a regular meal, not all of your days worth in calories in one meal.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Am I correct in reading that you include goats milk in your coffee during the time you are fasting? I would eliminate that. Fasting is supposed to cause hormonal changes that can increase receptors on fat cells that allow them to be accessed by your body. If you are consuming milk during that time, I think you will not see the same effect.

Also, keep in mind that since you are not overweight it is going to be much more difficult to lose fat. You may need to look at calorie or carbohydrate cycling, longer fasts, etc. to become very lean.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

peril is offline Senior Member
    Eat too little protein and your metabolism slows down to prevent catabolism so no weight loss. Increase protein to at least 100g per day, reducing other macros to meep calories the same
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I am unclear on your goal.

What is your body fat percentage now?

What do you want your body fat percentage to be?

What are your sleep patterns like?

Are you eating anything that could be inflaming you (i.e., dairy mentioned above)?

Exercise looks normal.

Do you fast? If so, how?

Just looking at the picture in your avatar, you look great -- and fairly lean (looks like the 18-22%). So, I'm not sure if your goal is to go below 18% or just down to it or what.

If you do want to go below where your body seems to have naturally balanced itself, then it's going to take some pretty intensive protocols for most women.

Thanks for all the responses...Ok where to start?

Zoe - the pic I have chosen is quite deceiving, I am your typical pear shape, I get scrawny up top, but really untoned, extra weight etc one my legs - I am at least 2 sizes bigger on my bottom half. I only want to lose a little bit to get back into the pants I was wearing last Winter - which now don't get past my thighs. I was within my healthy weight range at that point, and there was still plenty of padding (probably one size difference between top and bottom).

I usually fast till lunchtime...although as someone pointed out I do have some goat milk in my coffee. I could cut this out - I thought I'd read somewhere though that milk in coffee wouldn't break the fast.

Sleep pretty well as a rule, generally 8 hours.

Protein - getting plenty, eat at least 100g per day.

Weights are handweights and body weight exercise that I do at home, and once per week with a personal trainer. Fairly heavy, but not like, so heavy I can only do 10 reps.

So...maybe cut out dairy all together?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I don't think dairy is the culprit, but it probably wouldn't hurt to cut it out.

My guess is that the muscle in your legs has gotten bigger, but the fat hasn't -- as you say -- shifted yet.

Sounds to me like you are doing everything right, so just observe and tinker and see what comes up for you.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Just going by your picture I don't think you need to lose any weight. You look great.

One of the 'dumb' things about primal is that if you are overweight you will lose weight, but if you are underweight you will *gain* weight. (There was a friday story of a guy who started eating meat as part of his primal shift and his body really filled out. can't find the link sorry)

Primal isn't a weight loss program. It's a healthy weight program.

Like Zoe, I'd go by things like hip-waist ratio or body fat % as your health indicators. What are your targets?

Thanks. I am actually completely over trying to be really skinny - I know if I ever got there it'd be impossible to maintain. I just want to get back into my old clothes - which I was literally doing only a few kilos ago. I gained weight when I went away on honeymoon in Hawaii last October and just haven't been able to shift it. I wasn't really skinny then either - an Australian size 10 on the bottom. At the moment I am pushing 14's on the bottom (but my top half hasn't changed - I would've been an 8 up top then, still an 8 up top now).

I definitely think I have gained muscle - which is why my weight loss goals aren't what they were. This time last year, or a bit before, I was 60kg. I am now 68kg. But I know I've gained some muscle with the weights and healthier diet, so I don't think I'll ever get back to 60kg, nor would it be healthy too. I was about 64kg at my wedding, and a healthy size, so that's my rough 'goalpost' in terms of weight loss (since it was the weight I was when all my pants fit). However, if I get back into pants clothes at 65kg or 66kg, I will be happy to stay there rather than strive for a 'number' on the scale.

I'll trial giving up dairy - that's the one thing I haven't done yet because I really really love my daily coffee! And I can't stand it black.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast