Thread: Pick Your Poison - Dancermom's Journal (for the ladies) page

dancermom09 is offline Member

Pick Your Poison - Dancermom's Journal (for the ladies)

Lose another 20 pounds or take Tamoxifen for five years, wwyd? I'm choosing the weight loss and hoping that works out.

Here's the story, 59 years old, recently diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer. Planning surgery in a few weeks, radical enough that I can safely pass on the radiation treatments. Oncologist says that chemo wouldn't make a big enough difference in my survival odds, so I can skip that too. BUT, I have a tumor that is highly (like 99%) responsive to estrogen, so she says I really must take the drugs that lower the estrogen.

Would have sworn I have no estrogen remaining since I'm now 8 years past menopause. See, I said this was for the ladies! Two or so years ago I figured out that I was pre-diabetic and went on a low carb diet, losing 35 pounds that are still gone. But I do have the remains of a menopot, and that fat holds onto estrogen really well. I highly doubt I will be able to take the meds, so losing the weight is my best bet.

My body stopped losing with about 20 extra left, and NOTHING has made it budge, including switching to Primal about 6 months ago. I have not been perfect on Primal, but felt great, so I just didn't sweat it. Nice even blood sugar, no more IBS, relief from pain due to Sjogrens, better energy. Not quite enough that I work out regularly and that needs to change too.

Since my diagnosis about two weeks ago, I have been much stricter. My wine consumption went from 1/2 bottle per night to 3-4 glasses per week. I quit snacking, especially nuts. No more Atkins bars, even in emergencies, no occasional gluten free goodies. I am eating less, and started walking on my treadmill at least every other day.

In those two weeks, I gained two pounds. Yay! I'm pretty certain that I have a sluggish thyroid, so that's something I will be working on too. I am seeing an Integrative medical doctor on May 10, so I really hope she will help with that. Slow thyroid and breast cancer might be connected, there are so many theories out there.

Hoping that having a Journal here will help me figure some things out, though I may go missing now and then. Hope I get some occasional comments with helpful suggestions, as I plan to post what I eat.

My tip for the day: don't habitually wear your cel phone anywhere near your boobs!

Diana

songhunter is offline Junior Member
    Hi Diana! Good luck with the improved eating plan -- funny how those little indulgences in "healthy" foods add up! I'm glad you can pass on the radiation treatments. From what I've seen, those are rough stuff. Don't worry about gaining two pounds right away... your body will respond in time. Have a fantastic rest of your day!

Erica

Alessandra is offline Senior Member
    Hi Diana. Welcome to the journal board, look forward to hearing more from you. I've got thyroid issues too. There are quite a few of us here.
    Don't let nobody try and take your soul. You're the original . --Switchfoot- The Original

GW: 135 SW: 156.8 CW: 156.8

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Diana, I hope you find the boards as inspiring and motivating as I do. I am interested in your progress and looking forward to following your journal.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Thanks, ladies. Thanks for stopping in and reading.

Made a BAS tonight with some broccoli sprouts and greens, home made fig balsamic vinaigrette. Served up with some seared ahi tuna. If I have to resort to counting my calories, it's going to be a PITA.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yesterday was a fairly typical eating day for me, so probably not a weight loss day. I actually don't usually eat this often, but dinner was going to be late today.

8am: coffee with ceylon cinnamon and coconut manna, a bowlful of watercress (acquired taste, not acquiring it yet)
    11am: 1/2 a leftover 3 egg omelet from local New Mexican place; with 2 chunks of carne adovado, green chile sauce (so I could take my supplements). They use lard, and don't use flour for their chile sauce or omelets, so it's a once a week splurge.
    2:30 pm: 1/2 cup leftover Butter Chicken, recipe from this site; one Minnie Beasley GF chocolate almond lace cookie (only 4g sugar, 1st ingredient is butter!) It was the last lone cookie in the container, but Friday is my birthday!
    7pm: 6 oz grass fed beef tenderloin, 1/2 a large sweet potato with kerrygold and pumpkin pie spice; glass of Seghesio Zinfandel

Not so good on the greens, more focus on that tomorrow. Husband picked dinner today, we have a large amount of grass fed beef in the freezer!

35 minutes on the treadmill, 2 sets of granny squats and push-ups.

Lots of water. I've been getting 3 gallons of deionized water at a time from Whole Foods because I heard that the alkaline water is a good thing for the Beast (BC). Then I figured out that DEionized water and ionized water are not the same thing. Silly me.

One oddity, went for a 20 minute power nap and slept 1 1/2 hours! Hope this is a not a trend, there's lots to get done right now.

Thought for the day: I have been reading a lot on a BC support group, and I am so shocked at how many young women are getting this disease. Like late 20s, early 30s, with small children. I feel pretty old there, and I should be one of the youngsters.
    Last edited by dancermom09; 05-01-2012 at 08:40 AM.