Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Metabolic Advantage page

jtrain_36 is offline Member

Metabolic Advantage

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

I've seen Mark mention the metabolic advantage that comes with burning fat for fuel, as having seen many posters mention it as well. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with links to some scientific studies that would be able to explain this process. Every time I search I can only find articles that mention it without actually going into detail. Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    JT

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    look for some stuff by volek and phinney, eads, or waroninsulin.com for pro

look at colpo and mcdonald for con.

theres more but i'm typing with one hand....of that crew i think phinney and volek are the only published ones.

from what i've read my conclusion is the advantage is in body composition, satiety, therapeutic applications and metabolic flexibility.

a starting point....http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/3/1/9
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-29-2012 at 01:41 PM.

That was a very interesting article thank you. It seemed like each neutral or negative effect of the VLCARB diet was seen in studies that were only conducted over the short term, it would be interesting to see how those numbers changed when the study was conducted for an extended period of time.

Also, would you consider most primal diets to be what they consider "very low carb"? I'm sure that term is loosely applied as it probably varies from person to person. I would imagine very low carb= < 50g a day?

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Google Atkins Fat Fast, Keckiwick & Pawan published in Lancet in 1957. A diet high in fat and without carbs found to be metabolically superior to any other eating patterns including fasting for burning off body fat stores.

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    And this is how misinformation gets spread....

Quote Originally Posted by jtrain_36 View Post
    That was a very interesting article thank you. It seemed like each neutral or negative effect of the VLCARB diet was seen in studies that were only conducted over the short term, it would be interesting to see how those numbers changed when the study was conducted for an extended period of time.

Also, would you consider most primal diets to be what they consider "very low carb"? I'm sure that term is loosely applied as it probably varies from person to person. I would imagine very low carb= < 50g a day?
    I've seen studies with 15-20% carbohydrate still labeled low carb....that is consistent with the 50-100g recs in the PB carb curve for many, but as to VLC most would define that as <50g.

Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post
    He asked for studies. If you have some post em. Heck i'm all for reading what anyones studies, as it seems the op is. I mean he specifically asked for studies rather than opinion columns(even though i did mention some opinion posters previously). Not a bad start by OP IMO. I'll keep future posts to the literature

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...aFGb_A&cad=rja

This is more of a review of the literature, but you could follow the citations to the actual studies. Volek IS in the pro camp.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Read gnolls.org. After reading about him climbing Mt. Whitney fasted I really wanted that kind of metabolic flexibility (and eventually got it).

Occasional Insanity Outperforms Daily Misery: Day-Hiking Mt. Whitney, Fasted &#45; GNOLLS.ORG
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post
    If you have any scientific studies to show I would love to read them. I am still very hesitant to believe in the metabolic advantage as I had been raised to believe that a calorie is a calorie. However, I am open minded and have been reading stories and studies saying what we've long thought about nutrition, and specifically weight loss, isn't necessarily true. I'm hoping to read into both sides of the argument and come to a logical conclusion based on my own experience as well.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast