Thread: Managing omega 6 & 3 ratios page

badbunny is offline Senior Member

Managing omega 6 & 3 ratios

How do you guys manage your ratios? I have been using paleotrack for my meals for the past couple of days, and even on days with fish I still get the warning that I have eaten too many 6's!

I seem to get a LOT from my eggs and I don't want to give those up they are a quick and cheap source of protein. Even with a cod liver oil capsule a day I am still over.

I also eat Almonds and Brazil nuts for the macronutrients, but again they are high in 6's. I don't want to become obsessed because the food is all healthy.

How do you do it?
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

Timthetaco Guest
    I'm not a member of the O6:O3 club. The way I see it, pretty much the only fatty food you can find in nature that has more omega 3 than 6 is fish. So if this O6:O3 thing is true, unless you're eating tons of fish and rejecting all other meats, your ratio is going to be "off" and you're never going to be optimally healthy. I can understand not wanting to eat damaged O6 from seed oils, but avoiding it entirely from things like chicken, pork, nuts and even beef?

Darz is offline Senior Member
    I avoid PUFAs and wheat and eat plenty of fish and pastured eggs - I don't count or calculate how much of both I'm getting - too much trouble.
    Last edited by Darz; 04-29-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I dont "manage" mine. I use to be pro O3 and take the liquid, but now I just eat some fish, bivalves, and seaweed each week. All my beef is grassfed as is my dairy and eggs. I just assume mine are ok with this strategy. I'm not afraid of nuts at all either, but I have forgot to buy any the past couple of weeks I went to the store.

Oh, and if your tracker doesn't account for meat, egg, and dairy quality then its probably way off anyhow.

Looking at what you have posted its likely you need not be concerned.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    This ratio is a myth. If it wasn't a myth then why would eating nuts that have far more O6 than O3 always come up as healthy in studies?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    This ratio is a myth. If it wasn't a myth then why would eating nuts that have far more O6 than O3 always come up as healthy in studies?
    Correlation does not equal causation. And its not like nuts are just O6 bombs without any other nutritional packaging.....wait, why am I responding to the troll?

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    L
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Oh, and if your tracker doesn't account for meat, egg, and dairy quality then its probably way off anyhow.
    I think it does because I always choose the grass fed beef option, but perhaps it doesn't for the eggs as mine are farm fresh from free range scratching birds so they are as food as they get! Maybe I should just ignore the 'warning'....
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    If I go along eating mostly grass-fed beef, eggs and canned fish I figure that is when my O3 ratio is highest but I cannot say that this is when I feel my best. When I eat chicken with the skin on or a fatty pork roast for dinner I feel absolutely wonderful and so much more satisfied. I totally do not buy it that pork and chicken is less good for you. If it is so bad, why do I feel so awesome when I eat it? At one time not too long ago chicken was special occasion food. I don't fear the animal foods no matter what animal. I only limit the vegetable oils, dairy and nuts. No oils except olive and coconut, very little cheese and nuts.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Correlation does not equal causation. And its not like nuts are just O6 bombs without any other nutritional packaging.....wait, why am I responding to the troll?
    lol, the funny thing is that a lot of studies show that replacing animal fats with vegetable oil improves health as well. Its not just nuts. The ratio is garbage and not supported by science.