Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm New (and I'll Give It A Month) page

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member

So this is me. I'm male, about 290 lbs. I am 6 foot 5 inches. I have tried and tried doing the whole "calorie in, calorie out" crap and it just never works. I lose about 8 lbs and then fall off the wagon cos I just can't keep up with it.

The problem is that when I did the whole "calorie counting" diet I still hate shit... just less of it. But it was harrrrd. Far too hard.

Now, I'm am hugely into evolutionary science, so when I saw this hot guy on the Colbert Report talking about how he used evolutionary science to look at human diets, I was all into it.

So march 1st, I decided, what the heck, I'll give it a month. It's march 8th now and I've noticed a bit of difference, nothing drastic yet, but that's to be expected. The first thing I've noticed is that I fart less. Haha. It's a small change but a good one. Also, I sleep better. Now, when I started I had a really bad day or two of diarrhea which I assume is just my body getting used to actually eating good food.

so basically, I went from having around 500/700 carbs a day to having less than 50. weight-wise, I'm not checking the scale. I wanna see and feel the difference. so far, in only 8 days, my waist feels slimmer a bit and my belt goes back another loop already.

So this is it. I'm giving this a full month of a good real try and seeing if I actually lose weight. I've been trying and trying for something that I can actually work with and live with for a lifestyle, not a diet.

I've been eating lots of eggs, turkey, chicken breasts, salads, onions, cheese, etc etc etc. Also, I used to drink like 5 to 7 Mt. Dews a day. Now I drink water all day (i don't even wanna talk about the hell of giving up caffeine).

So I'll update on how I feel at the end of the month. I really hope this works for me. I've been reading the success stories and they get me excited!

March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 222lbs / 25.2%BF | New Goal: 20% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

cavewitch is offline Junior Member

oooh...the caffeine withdrawal migraines! just keep on keepin' on!

and a month is a good barometer to see if you want to continue (you will )

welcome.

Darthash is offline Senior Member

I still have caffiene, but only when i want to work out. welcome and hope it all works out

musajen is offline Junior Member

Good luck! I'm excited to hear about your progress.

shastagirl Guest

i gave up caffeine briefly. i had the worst migraine for two days. then it went away. i had a cup of coffee this morning. curses....back to caffeine withdrawals again sigh.

hippie_mama is offline Member

I was skeptical and said i'd give it a month too--and i lost 15 lbs I'm sticking with it for a second month, but that probably goes without saying!

Katt is offline Senior Member

Welcome and good luck. Sounds like you are off to a great start. And yes... that was the first thing I noticed, too. LOL.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

mayness is offline Senior Member

Welcome! Sounds like you're doing great so far. I'm also a reformed calorie counter who used to eat total junk as long as it was within my calorie limit. But then I'd be starving all day long, and end up going nuts and undoing a week's worth of work.

I had the same experience with gas... I immediately had a lot less of it when I changed my diet. I think it's wheat, in my case... if I eat something with a little wheat in it now, I can feel my stomach getting gurgly about an hour later.

And giving up caffeine at the same time... you're a bigger man than I am (well, I'm a woman, and a tiny one... but you know what I meant). I'm still hooked on coffee (and a little diet soda... I know, I know).

"mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Timothy is offline Senior Member

Hallowprince, you are totally on track. I know where you are coming from. 500-700g of carbs a day was probably where I was before the PB. Or was it 5000-7000g a day? How many are in, like, ten baskets of chips, a plate of beans and rice, several cokes and a deep-fried ice cream?

I guarantee if you keep the carbs under 50g, in a few weeks you&#39;ll be in ketosis, losing weight while eating your fill of meat and fat, and feeling amazing.

For me, getting past the carb cravings was the hardest part. It&#39;s like breaking any major addiction. If you can go to 50g carbs right away and give up caffeine at the same time, good for you! But don&#39;t feel bad if you slip up a bit at first. If you&#39;re struck with the cravings, hold out as long as possible and try some fruit instead. And then read this forum, because people here are amazingly supportive and full of great ideas on how to customize the PB to your individual tastes.

Right now, just about any move towards the PB will cut your weight and make you feel better, so don&#39;t feel bad if it&#39;s tough sledding at first -- you&#39;re making huge strides even if it doesn&#39;t feel that way. Good luck, and I can&#39;t wait to hear how you do!

P.S.: I can&#39;t help but be jealous of you six-and-a-half footers. I top out at 5&#39;9.5" (WAPF knows why) and don&#39;t get me wrong, I love my body, but at 6&#39;5" you are going to get scary muscular! Might I suggest picking up a sledgehammer?

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member

A sledgehammer? Haha. Maybe I&#39;ll dye my hair blonde and become THOR!

I forget to mention, the one thing I really do love about this, is how easy it is. I mean, it&#39;s kinda awkward when my mother in law cooks a really good dinner and all I eat is the meat and cabbage (skip the bread and corn) but oh well.

Above that, I love that I am NEVER HUNGRY!!! I also notice how anti-grain I&#39;m getting. I just saw a commercial for Kashi (their slogan is "7 whole grains on a mission) and I was like "eww..."

I do have some carb cravings... but every day it&#39;s easier and easier. I&#39;ve treated my self twice... once I had about 3 sips of a Pepsi... then dumped the rest. and the other day I ate about 5 small potato wedges... but overall I&#39;m doing really good!

Thanks for all your support!

March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 222lbs / 25.2%BF | New Goal: 20% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast