Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you drink liquids with your meals? Does it really hurt digestion? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

Do you drink liquids with your meals? Does it really hurt digestion?

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone have any scientific evidence that drinking with meals dilutes the digestive acids and enzymes? My hubby hardly ever drinks with his meals and has perfect digestion...no gas, belching, etc. I, however, can consume two glasses of water or more with most meals and have had digestive issues all my life. Is there a correlation you think?

Timthetaco Guest
    Unfortunately I don't have any science to share with you, but I've been experimenting with cutting out liquid at meals for the past week, and I feel the best I've felt since starting this way of eating. First I cut out lactose, then all dairy, and I was still having digestive problems, then I only drank between meals and my digestion was fine. More than that, I wasn't as hungry between meals, and these random bouts of irritability and depression I would get disappeared almost entirely.

I really don't know the science behind it, but it's worked for me.

Of course, my only worry now is meals that are mostly liquid, like that big batch of broth I made yesterday. :/

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    I always have less GI issues if I do not drink with my meals even though I can drink within 10 minutes or so after.. Why not just try it and see how you feel? Also have you googled for any studies on this??

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Oh wow. Never occurred to me before. I dont really have any issues with digestion but maybe that is just because I dont know any better or differently.

dirk41 is offline Senior Member
    Interested to see what people's experiences are with doing this. I've always drank a liquid with my meals. Going paleo has improved my digestion quite a bit but I wonder if ditching drinking during eating would push it over the top.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    It might take some effort to break the habit of drinking something with a meal, but as long as you are eating meat, fruit, and vegetables, then you are getting most of the water you should be getting in a day, depending on your activity level, climate, etc.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

ciep is offline Senior Member
    I never drink with meals and a lot of people find this strange when they eat with me. As for my reason, someone once told me the same thing you posted in the OP, basically that drinking with food would "dilute my digestive juices" or something to that effect. In essence they were claiming that the body doesn't digest food as well when you drink with the food. Anyway, this was a long time ago and I think I just accepted what the person told me as fact. I no longer believe this to be the case, and I've never seen any convincing research about it.

That said, at this point it's just habit for me not to drink with food and I actually like it better. I find I have to chew my food longer, which I like because I enjoy it more and because I end up eating slower which I believe helps prevent overeating.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I always drink a ton. Well I use to. I guess I thought it would help fill me also. Just a continuance of the drink water before a meal so you are not as hungry thing. But I am finding I dont drink as much with my meals now for some reason, nothing like before.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    lol, no, there is no evidence for this. If drinking during meals hindered digestion it would be a weight loss strategy, because less efficient digestion would mean less calories "consumed."

This is basically propaganda garbage purported by nonsense bloggers.

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    lol, no, there is no evidence for this. If drinking during meals hindered digestion it would be a weight loss strategy, because less efficient digestion would mean less calories "consumed."

This is basically propaganda garbage purported by nonsense bloggers.
    Agreed. I would say, however, that you might experience a "small meal effect" from leaving the drink till maybe half hour later or so? (To wit, stuffing yourself with food OR liquid feels uncomfortable. Obviously, don't do things that are uncomfortable.) Basically, some people get GI issues if they feel bloated. If you don't feel bloated, don't fucking worry about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast