Thread: Healthiest sweetener? page

Whatyoudoing is offline Member

Healthiest sweetener?

Shop Now
    I don't care about "carbs" or anything because I don't believe they're bad. Also it doesn't have to be "primal" since I don't care about a label but only about my health. But I want to buy some sweetener for my yogurt. Should I use honey, agave syrup or regular sugar? And why? Or is there something better?

Darz is offline Senior Member
    I'd say go for raw honey or unrefined muscovado sugar - in small amounts.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Blackstrap molasses and dark grades of maple syrup are good.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Agave is the worst choice you could possibly make. It's a waste product of tequila manufacturing and is super high in fructose.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whatyoudoing View Post
    I don't care about "carbs" or anything because I don't believe they're bad. Also it doesn't have to be "primal" since I don't care about a label but only about my health. But I want to buy some sweetener for my yogurt. Should I use honey, agave syrup or regular sugar? And why? Or is there something better?
    Carbs don't matter assuming they're coming from good sources, and your body can handle a little bit of sugar despite what some hardcore Paleo Nazis will have you believe. As long as you're not taking in more sugar than your liver can handle (it isn't very much) and you're not overeating calories, you'll probably be okay.

Blackstrap molasses is incredibly nutritious if you can take the flavor.

Coconut sugar I use on occasion and is my goto. Mind you, I'm not even halfway through my 1lb bag and I've had it for 3-4 months.

Raw honey, dark maple syrup and sucanat (REAL sucanat without the molasses added back in like Rapadura, make sure you're getting the real stuff) are acceptable, too IMO. I would eat something made with these products and not think much of it. YMMV.

In the grand scheme of things, these are EMPTY CALORIES, so adding them in is ultimately counterproductive to health and weight loss - but they're no more "empty calorie" than olive oil, cococnut oil, butter, etc. These are pleasure foods. Treat them like spices and you'll be fine - you add salt and pepper to make a meal taste better, you wouldn't make them a significant portion of your day's calories. If you keep that mindset, enjoy. The issue is when teaspoons become tablespoons and tablespoons become cups.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-29-2012 at 11:26 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

adr617 is offline Member
    My vote is for local, raw honey. It actually has some minerals and antioxidants. Plus, if you have seasonal allergies, the bee pollen (from local bees) can ease some allergy symptoms. Local, raw honey is surprisingly easy to find at a health food store.
    Began Primal 3/26/12

Height: 5'1'', HW: 215, LW: 98, SW: 137, GW: 110

CW: 128

Follow me! http://humblehappyhealthy.wordpress.com/

Whatyoudoing is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Carbs don't matter assuming they're coming from good sources, and your body can handle a little bit of sugar despite what some hardcore Paleo Nazis will have you believe. As long as you're not taking in more sugar than your liver can handle (it isn't very much) and you're not overeating calories, you'll probably be okay.

Blackstrap molasses is incredibly nutritious if you can take the flavor.

Coconut sugar I use on occasion and is my goto. Mind you, I'm not even halfway through my 1lb bag and I've had it for 3-4 months.

Raw honey, dark maple syrup and sucanat (REAL sucanat without the molasses added back in like Rapadura, make sure you're getting the real stuff) are acceptable, too IMO. I would eat something made with these products and not think much of it. YMMV.

In the grand scheme of things, these are EMPTY CALORIES, so adding them in is ultimately counterproductive to health and weight loss - but they're no more "empty calorie" than olive oil, cococnut oil, butter, etc. These are pleasure foods. Treat them like spices and you'll be fine - you add salt and pepper to make a meal taste better, you wouldn't make them a significant portion of your day's calories. If you keep that mindset, enjoy. The issue is when teaspoons become tablespoons and tablespoons become cups.
    Ah fuck it, why would I actually take the time to look for a sweetener if it doesn't add anything to my health and I love plain greek yogurt anyway.
    Thanks for your comment though

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Honey.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes