Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High LDL number & Statin Drugs page

jacksongirl1 is offline Junior Member

High LDL number & Statin Drugs

Primal Fuel
    I see that the cholesterol issue is a hot topic so thought I would get your collective advice on my blood numbers:

HDL = 107
    Triglycerides = 56
    LDL = 148
    Total Chol = 266

I have been following primal for 1 year and the HDL has been pretty constant over 100 and my tri levels have been dropping, with the LDL number increasing... I have finally lost the battle with my MD and he gave me a script for a statin drug... and I don't want to take it... any thoughts/advice??? From what I have read on the forums, it seems that my LDL is most probably the good fluffy type, but is there anything else I can do (short of taking the statin) to lower the LDL number to get the MD off my case??? thanks!

Groktimus Prime is offline Junior Member
    Ask your doctor to test your LDL cholesterol directly. For most lab tests, because it's inexpensive, the LDL number is indirectly calculated using the Freidewald equation (LDL = TC - HDL - [TG/5]...I get 145, in your case), but it seems to break down when your TGs get down to your level. See this post from Dr. Michael Eades:

In Sanity,
    Charlie

Weight: 350/200 (within 16 months)/205
    Body Fat: 50%/12%/10%

A Day in the Life of Groktimus Prime

Charlie - thanks I will def check ask for this... I have felt so much better following the primal lifestyle that is was a bit disheartening for my MD to prescribe a statin when I don't believe or feel that I need it!!!

Groktimus Prime is offline Junior Member
    No problem. Your HDL number is awesome. Now, if you would just quit burning so much stored body fat, your calculated LDL number would "improve"!
    In Sanity,
    Charlie

Weight: 350/200 (within 16 months)/205
    Body Fat: 50%/12%/10%

A Day in the Life of Groktimus Prime

yes I think you hit it... although I am at a good weight, I still have a bit of a residual spare tire in the abs that is probably the problem

peril is offline Senior Member
    You don't have to fill the prescription. Simply so no. You're numbers are great
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    You couldn't pay me to take a statin. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-revealed.aspx
    and this one: Statins Do Not Decrease Small Dense LDL Proportion | Mark's Daily Apple

Have you seen this one? I have high cholesterol, and I don’t care
    I technically have high cholesterol as well- high HDL, very low trigs, high LDL. But my risk for heart disease in the next 10 years is pretty much nil. If my doc pushed me hard to go on statins, I'd fire him.
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Ask you doctor to go over the data on using statins for prevention of heart attacks in otherwise healthy people. Even by CW standards the data is pretty unconvincing. (If you have already had a heart attack the data is a little more convincing)

With your numbers, I would not even consider taking a statin.

You can also ask for a coronary artery calcium scan which will look for plaque buildup in your vessels. If all clear, then you have even more evidence that you don't have an issue.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Many thanks to all for all your comments... And I have not filled nor do I plan to fill that statin prescription!!!

Linny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think your numbers look really good. I know the total seems really high but with an HDL of 107 you'll never get TC below 200.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast