Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coconut oil- optimum amount? page

grok_wonk is offline Member

Coconut oil- optimum amount?

Since discovering coconut oil + cocoa powder, I find it laughably easy to eat 3 TBP++ a day! However, CO is rather expensive and not exactly calorie-free, so I should probably scale back...what do you think is the optimum daily amount?

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    There is a man who has written multiple books about the health benefits of coconut oil. He recommends a maintenance dose of 3 Tablespoons per day.

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member
    I think anything over 3 tbsp per day is edging on too much, unless you are purposely doing a coconut oil flush... I wouldn't worry about the calories from coconut oil, as it is burned quite efficiently as energy. If you are feeling ok with how much you are eating now, then the only thing you need to worry about is the $ issue. I get a jar of Dr. Bronner's coconut oil for around $9-10 and that's the best quality I've come across so far... how much are you paying for yours?
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    Also, forgot to say that too much will give you the runs. If you are taking more than 2-3 T per day you need to work your way up to it slowly. I use Nutiva EVO 29 fl oz is about $18.00. It seems to be the most popular brand.

LeenBee is offline Junior Member
    I have a question about coconut oil. Living in South Africa, we don't have heating in our homes during winter unless we're super-affluent. My coconut oil solidifies in winter and I have to put the bottle in hot water to make it liquid every time I use it. Will this heating and cooling affect the nutritional value of it? Or cause it to go rancid?

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    3 tablespoons a day is fine though yeah it is expensive.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I think the optimum amount is zero. It is not a necessary food. There is no need to "supplement" with it. But if you need cooking oil it works well.

Living in Santa Barbara we don't have heating either, or rather we do but we all pretend it's warm here and never turn it on. The whole year there's probably only one or two days it's ever liquid. I just dig it out with a butter knife or a spoon. Once I left the jar on the stove and the use of the stove heated it enough to make it liquid but I found it harder to deal with when liquid.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think the optimum amount is zero. It is not a necessary food. There is no need to "supplement" with it. But if you need cooking oil it works well.
    This.

Coconut oil isn't a whole food. It's a mechanically extracted oil. It's mostly empty, nutritionless calories. Treat it like salt, pepper or honey - it's a cooking tool or a flavoring agent, not a food to be eaten as significant calories. 3 tablespoons of coconut oil amounts to 360 calories. Why not eat 5 eggs for the same caloric intake? You will get two orders of magnitude more nutrition instead of empty fat. Or why not just eat real coconut? That's a step in the right direction. You probably wouldn't take a spoon to a jar of honey, right? So why do it to processed extracted fat? All it's going to do is slow your fat loss since your body now has to burn through 360 more calories before it taps into stored fat, and you're doing it all for next to zero nutrition.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    This.

Coconut oil isn't a whole food. It's a mechanically extracted oil. It's mostly empty, nutritionless calories. Treat it like salt, pepper or honey - it's a cooking tool or a flavoring agent, not a food to be eaten as significant calories. 3 tablespoons of coconut oil amounts to 360 calories. Why not eat 5 eggs for the same caloric intake? You will get two orders of magnitude more nutrition instead of empty fat. Or why not just eat real coconut? That's a step in the right direction. You probably wouldn't take a spoon to a jar of honey, right? So why do it to processed extracted fat? All it's going to do is slow your fat loss since your body now has to burn through 360 more calories before it taps into stored fat, and you're doing it all for next to zero nutrition.
    It's as if people now believe healthy fat should be consumed by itself in mass quantity. Enjoy it as part of the meal, not as the meal!!!

Do you think Mark sits there eating coconut oil out of a jar?

Instead of just mixing it with cacao powder, save the oil for cooking and have a couple squares of good dark chocolate...
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    It's as if people now believe healthy fat should be consumed by itself in mass quantity. Enjoy it as part of the meal, not as the meal!!!

Do you think Mark sits there eating coconut oil out of a jar?

Instead of just mixing it with cacao powder, save the oil for cooking and have a couple squares of good dark chocolate...
    Exactly! So well-said and quoted for truth.

Primal is at heart a whole-foods diet. We want to eat real, natural foods. Coconut oil, butter, olive oil - there is nothing unhealthy about them in the sense that they are healthy fats, but they are not healthy meals. Yes, butter has vitamin A and K in significant quantities. Yes, coconut oil is nature's best source of MCT's and lauric acid. Yes, olive oil is rich in polyphenols. But they're not FOODS. Nutritionally speaking, whole wheat flour will destroy butter, olive oil and coconut oil per calorie. Consuming oil as food is doing nothing but stalling - or even reversing - your fat loss goals, and butting half a stick of butter in your coffee is like taking a tablespoon to a jar of honey and eating.

Frying eggs in a teaspoon or two of butter? Great idea. Slicing a sliver of Kerrygold butter off because it's that damn good? I understand. I've done it a couple times! Eating 3 tablespoons of coconut oil a day and putting half a stick of butter in your morning coffee? Terrible idea.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 06-12-2012 at 08:38 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast