Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coconut oil- optimum amount? page 3

healthyeater is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by MsSmith View Post
    I did some searches and found that it's basically to prolong fasting and promote energy if used in coffee before a workout and pretty much the same thing by itself after a workout.

I think I'd rather be completely fasted (with coffee only) before my workout, to burn fat stores. After a workout I am usually not hungry for 1-2 hours. I don't see the benefit of adding so many calories and fat before or after a fasting workout. If I am wrong, someone please let me know, ok?
    The benefit is your consuming fat calories that can be used as energy. It's the same thing as eating sugar, refined carbs, or protein powders around a workout: calories + macronutrients without any nutrition. We all need protein, carbs and fats and everybody has their own opinion on the best ratios and timing for each, but they shouldn't be consumed in the form of empty calories. I put all oil, sugar, refined carbs, and protein powder in the same category: too easily consumed macronutrients without micronutrients. If you feel you need coconut first thing in the morning, eat a coconut. When you start to eat whole foods you may see that it really does or doesn't feel right to eat a certain way. Some may say they're short on time, they can't eat enough whole food or they need a certain macro right this second, but I'd always wait until I can get real food, eat less meals and/or workout less before eating anything processed.
    Last edited by healthyeater; 09-26-2013 at 05:33 PM.

healthyeater is offline Junior Member
    Also, someone may argue that they want to be a on a high saturated fat diet and it's too hard for them to achieve this without resorting to coconut oil, butter, etc. I recently saw a video of a guy who eats nothing but fruit and wants to be on a high sugar diet. When he couldn't get fruit, he started eating pure sugar by the ton. It's the same concept. I'd opt for for whole foods before empty calories and some specific macro ratio.

MsSmith is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthyeater View Post
    The benefit is your consuming fat calories that can be used as energy. It's the same thing as eating sugar, refined carbs, or protein powders around a workout: calories + macronutrients without any nutrition. We all need protein, carbs and fats and everybody has their own opinion on the best ratios and timing for each, but they shouldn't be consumed in the form of empty calories. I put all oil, sugar, refined carbs, and protein powder in the same category: too easily consumed macronutrients without micronutrients. If you feel you need coconut first thing in the morning, eat a coconut. When you start to eat whole foods you may see that it really does or doesn't feel right to eat a certain way. Some may say they're short on time, they can't eat enough whole food or they need a certain macro right this second, but I'd always wait until I can get real food, eat less meals and/or workout less before eating anything processed.
    Thank you. I haven't had any problems with energy, exercising on an empty stomach. If that changes, I will reconsider.
    Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
    Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
    Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
    Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
    CW: 158 GW: 130 CBF%: 24.38
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

Greg Rx is offline Senior Member
    Saying that coconut oil is just a source of calories is like saying sweet potatoes are just another form of insulin spiking sugar.
    Cococonut oil is 60% MCT

from Hammer nutrition
    The health benefits from 1-3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Coconut Oil are:

1. Prevents Ischemic Heart Disease
    2. Inhibits or kills harmful microbes such Helicobacter pylori, Hemophilus influenzae, Listeria monocytogenes, Staphylococcus aureus, Aspergillus niger, Giardia lamblia Protozoa, Cytomegalovirus (CMV), and HIV virus
    3. Increases the body’s Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)
    4. Lowers elevated total serum cholesterol levels
    5. Stimulates the conversion of cholesterol to pregnenolone
    6. Increases HDL (“good”) cholesterol levels
    7. Increases production of Interleukin 10
    8. Lowers LDL (“bad”) cholesterol levels
    9. Lowers VLDL (Very-low-density lipoprotein – “bad”) cholesterol levels
    10. Lowers elevated serum Triglycerides levels
    11. Lowers Interleukin 1 (beta) levels
    12. Lowers Interleukin 6 levels
    13. Lowers Tumor Necrosis Factor (TNF) levels
    14. Lowers Lipoprotein (a) levels

USE ONLY: Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

From pharmacistBen.com
    Perhaps the most significant role MCTs provide for good health is in the realm of weight loss. Diet conscious health enthusiasts can benefit from MCTs unique metabolic chemistry in three ways. First of all, MCTs provide drive lipid biochemistry with 10 per cent fewer calories than ordinary fat. Secondly, MCTs are rapidly converted into energy. This means that they are much more likely than other fats to be uses as a source of fuel, rather than being stored. In this manner they function more like carbohydrates than fats. Yet, in contrast to carbs, they have no significant effect on insulin. This makes them an ideal source of energy for diabetics. Thirdly, unlike ordinary lipids, MCTs have been shown to increase thermogenesis (fat burning), which may result in an actual loss of calories.

also from pharmacistben.com

In addition to providing weight reduction benefits, MCT oils have neurological enhancing properties. The fascinating fats(have) been shown to increase the production of “ketones” which may provide benefits for senescent brains. Ketones are known as a potent and stable non-sugar source of energy to the brain.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rx View Post
    In addition to providing weight reduction benefits, MCT oils have neurological enhancing properties. The fascinating fats(have) been shown to increase the production of “ketones” which may provide benefits for senescent brains. Ketones are known as a potent and stable non-sugar source of energy to the brain.
    I am not sure ketones would be used if you are not in a ketotic state (aka super low carb). MCT metabolism does lead to ketone production in the liver but in a non ketotic state, I think you just pee them ... maybe you could check that ?

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Saying that coconut oil is just a source of calories is like saying sweet potatoes are just another form of insulin spiking sugar.
    No, it isn't. A sweet potato is mostly water, and the calories that are there are loaded with vitamins and minerals. Coconut oil is a refined fat with essentially zero vitamins and minerals and no water content. One is a food, one is a man-made cooking lubricant.

One is a whole food, one is a man-made creation. Carbohydrate increases the metabolic rate more than MCT's do, so even your skewed comparison kind of worked against you. You would have been better advised to compare it to an avocado or something fatty.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    I am not sure ketones would be used if you are not in a ketotic state (aka super low carb). MCT metabolism does lead to ketone production in the liver but in a non ketotic state, I think you just pee them ... maybe you could check that ?
    This is precisely why coconut oil is empty calories. MCT's aren't used for structure, so it's similar to drinking alcohol in the sense that you aren't going to begin burning fat until your liver burns through the MCT's. It is an energy that's going to float around in you until it's used. Just because MCT's aren't directly stored as fat like LCT's are doesn't make them any less fattening - you are just going to store everything you eat alongside them as fat until you burn through the MCT's. I don't understand how people can't see this.

Sugar and MCT's are not directly stored as fat - you get fat eating things alongside them that are stored as fat because you have to burn the sugar and MCT's preferentially. Tagalong calories are stored. And since coconut oil is 40% LCT's, that means you store the other 40% of those calories along your waistline until you burn up all those structurally-useless MCT's.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Cococonut oil is 60% MCT

from Hammer nutrition
    The health benefits from 1-3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Coconut Oil are:

1. Prevents Ischemic Heart Disease
    2. Inhibits or kills harmful microbes such Helicobacter pylori, Hemophilus influenzae, Listeria monocytogenes, Staphylococcus aureus, Aspergillus niger, Giardia lamblia Protozoa, Cytomegalovirus (CMV), and HIV virus
    3. Increases the body’s Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)
    4. Lowers elevated total serum cholesterol levels
    5. Stimulates the conversion of cholesterol to pregnenolone
    6. Increases HDL (“good”) cholesterol levels
    7. Increases production of Interleukin 10
    8. Lowers LDL (“bad”) cholesterol levels
    9. Lowers VLDL (Very-low-density lipoprotein – “bad”) cholesterol levels
    10. Lowers elevated serum Triglycerides levels
    11. Lowers Interleukin 1 (beta) levels
    12. Lowers Interleukin 6 levels
    13. Lowers Tumor Necrosis Factor (TNF) levels
    14. Lowers Lipoprotein (a) levels

USE ONLY: Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

From pharmacistBen.com
    Perhaps the most significant role MCTs provide for good health is in the realm of weight loss. Diet conscious health enthusiasts can benefit from MCTs unique metabolic chemistry in three ways. First of all, MCTs provide drive lipid biochemistry with 10 per cent fewer calories than ordinary fat. Secondly, MCTs are rapidly converted into energy. This means that they are much more likely than other fats to be uses as a source of fuel, rather than being stored. In this manner they function more like carbohydrates than fats. Yet, in contrast to carbs, they have no significant effect on insulin. This makes them an ideal source of energy for diabetics. Thirdly, unlike ordinary lipids, MCTs have been shown to increase thermogenesis (fat burning), which may result in an actual loss of calories.

also from pharmacistben.com

OK, I will add some CO to my paleo track plan. Thanks!
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by MsSmith View Post
    OK, I will add some CO to my paleo track plan. Thanks!
    Coconut oil could potentially benefit you by replacing other fats in your diet for coconut oil - if you cook now with butter or olive oil, replacing them with equal quantities of coconut oil could show benefits. However, if you're simply going to add coconut oil to do you diet, meaning you're consuming everything like you normally do and you're going to eat coconut oil like it is some type of food or supplement, you'll gain weight (or slow your weight loss) because you're just adding empty calories to your diet.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Coconut oil could potentially benefit you by replacing other fats in your diet for coconut oil - if you cook now with butter or olive oil, replacing them with equal quantities of coconut oil could show benefits. However, if you're simply going to add coconut oil to do you diet, meaning you're consuming everything like you normally do and you're going to eat coconut oil like it is some type of food or supplement, you'll gain weight (or slow your weight loss) because you're just adding empty calories to your diet.
    I am currently using Ghee clarified butter (my child is gluten and casein intolerant), EVOO, and coconut oil for cooking, depending on the food I am cooking. I would like to find a lower cholesterol alternative for frying meat other than lard. I really like that CO has no cholesterol and right now I am at a pretty big calorie deficit, so I am not sure what I will do in the long-term, but right now, my mouth is watering at the thought of a tablespoon of CO. lol. (How do you feel about coconut butter?) I am new to doing this the absolute correct way and the paleo tracker and I gave up last night trying to figure out how to be in ketosis and have lower fat than is the norm for paleo and get 1200 calories a day. I even missed the Grey's Anatomy Premiere!! Y'all don't give up on me yet... I'm trying.
    48 - 5'7.5"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast