Thread: Critique/fix my lift heavy things please. page

BamaAla is offline Member

Critique/fix my lift heavy things please.

Primal Fuel
    The search function takes me all over the place, so I'm sorry if this is somewhat redundant. I truly appreciate any help.

I've been doing some random push-ups, squats, curls, dips, pull-ups, etc. for a few months (I didn't really take it seriously when I started PBP in September.) I'm down 50 lbs and 15% body fat (226-176 and 40-25 respectively,) but I want to be true to the program and lift heavy things, and I have gotten into outdoors stuff lately (backpacking, camping, kayaking, hiking, etc.) and want to build some functional strength for those activities. Also, I'm late twenties and recently single, so I need to look better than 25% body fat for any possible lady friends!

What I've managed to piece together from all the posts, blogs, magazines, etc. is what I've been doing for like a month. I want to know if I'm on the right track or I am wasting time and energy.

Three days (M, W, F usually)

5 sets to failure push-ups EDIT: On these, my 5 sets started getting into the mid 30's, so I began making them harder my doing clap push-ups and really slow push-ups. That got the number to failure down to about 15 on claps and like 11 or 12 on the slow ones. I was thinking about doing this with pull-ups and squats when the reps got high. Good idea?
    5 sets to failure pull-ups
    5 sets to failure squats
    3 sets planks, 2 sets side planks, 3 sets of superman

I don't use any weights, and I can't join a gym (I could but I live out in the country and the closest gym is a 30 minute drive; gas is expensive.) I do have some bow-flex select-tech dumbells that go from 5-50 pounds, but usually only get used to do some curls and stuff when I was just being random. I have a set of bands but never use them.

After reading another set of blogs, I'm thinking I should scale back to 3 sets to failure and only 2 times a week, but I'm confused and came here for advice.

Any necessary exercises missing? Is my volume good for my goals? Change all together?

I'd really appreciate any help and guidance; thank you very much.
    Last edited by BamaAla; 04-28-2012 at 12:06 PM.

greenshady is offline Member
    I'm in the same boat as you for working out. I just moved to a new home in the country and the nearest gym is about 30 minutes away.

Several people have recommended Convict Conditioning. I read the book (Kindle version) in an afternoon. There's loads of useful information about proper progression with bodyweight exercises. Tomorrow is my first day on the new system, so I don't have the experience to definitely recommend it. However, based on my time training and powerlifting, I believe it to be a solid template to work from.

Based on what experience I do have, I consider pushups the king of bodyweight exercises, followed by a close second of pullups.

I'm also about to start some sandbag work too. This will be entirely new territory for me and I'm still putting together a plan for it. But, you should definitely read up on it (it's pretty cheap too).

By the way, are you from Alabama? Looks like you are based on your username. I live near Greenville (45 mins south of Montgomery).
    Last edited by greenshady; 04-29-2012 at 11:20 AM.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Instead of the clapping pushups, try
    1. Going slower.
    2. Moving your hands closer together.
    3. Using an unstable surface.
    4. Putting your hands on different levels.

I feel like the clapping pushups are hard on my elbows and shoulders.

Other tips:
    Log your workouts. You can't know if you are improving without some kind of data.
    Check out PBF or Convict Conditioning progressions to move you from regular pushups to one-arm pushups. Same thing with Squats and pullups. Adding reps only helps to a certain point, after that you need to do more difficult exercises.