Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fasting and Protein page

gorski is offline Member

Fasting and Protein

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys need some help with fasting.

Ive been bulking for a while, and Ive gained a bit of weight due to consuming extra calories.

When you fast to lose fat, you are removing food from your diet so that your body must automatically use your own body fat for energy, resulting in you loosing fat.

The bodys prefered energy sources are boviously first carbs (they are burned first) then Fat (Natural energy source for the body) then Protein if it gets that far.

My question is, if Im trying to burn fat while fasting, is it cool to have a scoop of whey protein or a nother protein that has even less fat and carbs mid fast to feed my muscles.

As I understand my body will naturaly prefer my own body fat to burn rather than the only consumed nutrient protein?

Cheers

G

Dingo is offline Junior Member
    This was my exact question. I hope someone is along that can shed some light on this. I will say that I lost 20 lbs in 5 weeks while doing IF. During my fasting phase I usually take some whey protein in the morning after my morning hike with the dog. Muscle is also building and the lost 20lbs appears to be entirely fat (and water).

a caviat on that is that I was diagnosed with celiacs right before going primal, so some of my lost lbs could be simply from not eating gluten. My concern is that the whey i take in the morning might spike insulin and ruin the hormonal advantages of a fast.

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    If you take in whey protein during your fasting phase, you are NOT FASTING. Simple as that. You are "very low calorie, high protein dieting". This will damage you quicker than fasting.

Read Mark's extensive blog post series on IF and focus on the areas that explain why it is muscle sparing. What you are doing to yourself is unnecessary and cannot be recommended.

Pure protein during a fast is unproductive and even dangerous. You're better off eating pure fat, quite honestly. In the distant past, the OptiFast diet plan killed patients with protein exclusively (no fat, no carbs) in the context of a very low calorie diet so you know it isn't how your body was ever designed to function.
    Last edited by GrokON; 04-28-2012 at 01:23 PM.
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

gorski is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrokON View Post
    If you take in whey protein during your fasting phase, you are NOT FASTING. Simple as that. You are "very low calorie, high protein dieting". This will damage you quicker than fasting.

Read Mark's extensive blog post series on IF and focus on the areas that explain why it is muscle sparing. What you are doing to yourself is unnecessary and cannot be recommended.

Pure protein during a fast is unproductive and even dangerous. You're better off eating pure fat, quite honestly. In the distant past, the OptiFast diet plan killed patients with protein exclusively (no fat, no carbs) in the context of a very low calorie diet so you know it isn't how your body was ever designed to function.
    Come on, I was not implying I will be eating protein for 6 months straight and nothing else! That would be purely retarded and the people that actually did the diet you mentioned are stupid for even doing it!

What Im saying is that I will be fasting from the time i go to bed 12am, to about dinner time 6 - 7pm, at which point I will be having a normal meal, fats, proteins and veggies.

What im asking is if it will defeat the purpous if i have a protein shake some where mid afternoon, A study was done, cited below where a bunch of men were tested, by eating pure protein first thing in the morning as the only meal and then they would eat again around lunch time 12-2pm, this resulted in their growth hormone tripling.

Somatotropic responses to soy protein alone... [Eur J Endocrinol. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    If you want to use whey during your fast you would be undereating not fasting. Read The Warrior Diet by Ori Hofmeckler if that is what you want to do.

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    LOL. Whatever you want to hear is true.
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    No, it's not cool. The whole idea behind fasting is...... wait for it....... not eating.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    If your doing a bodybuilding cut....then your thought process makes sense. If your fasting for any therapeutic benefit then it doesn't.

gorski is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    If your doing a bodybuilding cut....then your thought process makes sense. If your fasting for any therapeutic benefit then it doesn't.
    Yes I am doing a bodybuilding cut.

gorski is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    If you want to use whey during your fast you would be undereating not fasting. Read The Warrior Diet by Ori Hofmeckler if that is what you want to do.
    Thanks Fiercehunter!

I just checked out the Warrior Diet and read up on it a little, when not on a bulking phase at the gym I would usually not eat breakfast and wait till about 12-1pm to have my first meal of the day, it answered my question why I always felt better when I did this, Id usually have more energy, my mind would be clearer and Id be in a zen like state all day! Pretty sweet!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast