Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food addiction page

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member

Food addiction

Has anyone found that giving up the foods that is worst for them, the hardest?
    For me its coffee and cream. Either/or both affect me in a lot of ways. The cream the worst I think. When I have given up coffee/cream in the past I make it to about a month or so (I still manage butter OK though), then I go back. I don't know why, and I really try hard.
    Does anyone else find something like this? And why is it? I know how it makes me feel, and I know it brings back my candida, but yet I still go back. I must have rocks in my head

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    That is so hard. instead of fighting it, maybe there's a way to work with it? Is it the dairy that brings back the candida? Could you sub in coconut cream? Coffee isn't evil why are you fighting that "addiction"?
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Coffee seems to affect my mood.
    Ive tried cutting down to instant (prob the worst kind of coffee I guess?) with a little cream, if I have a couple of these a day it is less of a problem, but then I go out and buy a latte (half cream half milk), then after that much dairy, I itch (in not so fun places) and just feel blah. When I stop (or cut right down) my belly measurement goes down daily, other wise its staying the same (or going up if I have even more). Yes it seems the dairy feeds candida.
    I don't know why these lattes pull me in so much? My husband seems to think its as easy as just stopping. I can manage for a short time only to do this.

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    When I've had problems giving up food in the past (specifically milk chocolate and my favourite type of bread) I tell myself that if I get through today, I can have some tomorrow. Then wash, rinse, repeat. I find that by telling myself it's not going to be permanent, that it's just for a limited time, that somehow it's easier to stop. Don't know if that would work for you?

Also, what about a treat that feels as indulgent as a latte. A chai tea latte with coconut cream? A peice of wonderful dark chocolate?

I hope you find something that works for you!
    -John Lennon

I haven't liked chai when trying it before.
    Also same with coconut cream. I just have to keep trying I guess, and take one day at a time.
    I am just frustrated ,as I have been primal 6 months (not perfectly at all) especially with the dairy, and I see the most weight loss (belly reduction) when I stop it.
    Since starting primal, I am actually heavier, but belly is about 15 cm smaller. All other areas of my body have gone down a lot too, so not as worried about the weight. I happy when my belly is going down.

Hmmm, ok. What about teaching yourself to like black coffee? Everyday put a little bit less cream in (measure it so you know you're actually using less.), and make a deal with yourself that if you do find yourself pulled through the doors of the coffeeshop, you are only allowed to buy espresso. At first it will be torture (like teaching yourself to like dark dark chocolate) but I bet if you did it for a few weeks, you'd be LOVING the intricate flavors of good quality coffee, and might not even miss the cream. Plus your belly would thank you! Try it! Make it fun, a challenge. (I love to compete with myself so this method works really well for me.)
    -John Lennon

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Food addiction -- as in a real addiction to foods that have the same effect on the brain/body as any drug would -- does exist.

Is it possible that you have it? Yes.

The best thing to do is to quit eating those substances (harder for addicts who struggle with compulsive eating which may not have a specific substance that can send the compulsion going) and get help from a support group if you can.

If you think it's simply that you really like/crave this pattern in your life, then maybe you don't need to go that far, but it can be difficult to get 'over the hump' of giving it up. So, one day at a time, and likely in about 30-60 days, you won't be craving it quite so hard.

I have had issues with other foods and emotional eating, well I say had, but I think its still there, but it happens much less often than it used to.
    I will try reducing the amount of cream each time, I am sure it will help a lot.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sure, ill be on the next plane
    Except won't there be cows I can get milk from? LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast