Thread: Intermittent Fasting question... page

verdilak is offline Member

Primal Fuel

For the past 8 years, I have rarely eaten more than 2 meals a day. However, I was eating a very carb-lifestyle with meat a once a week "luxury". I've since changed my diet over the past two months and am feeling great and a good 40 pounds have washed away with nary an effort. I've also been prescribing to a "Eat only when hungry" mentality, which still leaves me eating one twice a day or once a day depending on how active I was the day before. So, how would IF work for me? I've gone 24 hours without eating and as I do it more often, it feels less and less like a chore. I feel like I could go even longer, but am afraid of if that would have a negative impact on my weight loss (which has started to stop coming off, or I am gaining muscle). I know that for many Native American tribes, you were not considered an adult until you were able to go for 4 days of fasting and were still healthy, but these were people who did not the weight problems our culture has.

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

I don't think you need to increase the duration or frequency of your fasts just because you're naturally inclined to eat less often. You're probably reaping the benefits of IF already. Keep doing what you're doing.

As for longer fasts, I did 8 days once with nothing but positive effects. If you feel inclined to try, I would say go for it, but absolutely make sure that you are in a safe, supportive, restful and nonstressful environment. I did my 8 days while I was living alone and working at a low-stress job. Then 2 years later I felt like I wanted to try again, but I was living at home then with a mother and brother who were skeptical at best and always trying to get me to eat something, and going to a job where I had to run around a lot. I lasted only 3 days.

Oh, and weight loss will likely slow down and stop for periods of time. That just seems to be the way it goes on the PB.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

verdilak is offline Member

I was eating only twice a day while I gained a good amount of weight, so I am worried that sticking to 2 meals a day is not what my body considers "fasting" and only 1 meal a day is more akin to what most people consider skipping one meal. I feel that I need to fast for longer than 24 hours to get the same type of fasting other people get with 24 hour fasting, due to how I have been eating for years.

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

Blorton is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Verdilak - imho, the *kind* of food you eat has a far greater impact than whatever interval you choose to consume it at. ....so as long as you aren't slugging down CW before and after whatever non-eating interval you choose, you'll be fine.

Primal since February 2010. On seventh round of P90x.

My Blathering, Babbling Journal