Thread: Injury=protein craving? page

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member

Injury=protein craving?

Primal Fuel
    Normally, since eating primal, I don't really eat a whole lot more protein than I used to. I just replace what would be grains with more veggies, fruit, nuts, or sweet potatoes. Yesterday, while pruning our fruit trees, a falling branch hit me in the arm and caused quit a bit of pain and bruising. Basically my entire bicep is one massive bruise. Today, I can't seem to get enough protein. For breakfast I had a hamburger patty with cheese, an egg, and a piece of chicken. I could easily have eaten twice that. For lunch I ate 2 bowls of chicken soup. Between meals, all day long, I've been snacking on left over chicken, turkey, chunks of cheese, and nuts. I have little interest in fruits or veggies today. Can this injury cause such a craving for protein for muscle repair? It really doesn't seem like I'd need that much protein for one bicep. I feel like I'm eating too much protein. Is there anything wrong with eating a ton of protein in one day?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Ha, I doubt you'll do much harm by eating a ton of meat. Enjoy it and be grateful your body doesn't demand an asston of carbs like mine does when I am sick or injured.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Agreed. I believe even CW says that increasing protein as a response to injury is recommendable. Burn patients, for example, are often put on a high protein diet. Take care of that arm bruise, too. It might be time for some very paleo "RICE" = Rest Ice Compression Elevation. Check with doc on that one, though...
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.