Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Negative result after visit to the DR! Advice would be appriciated! page

pushme is offline Junior Member

Question Negative result after visit to the DR! Advice would be appriciated!

Shop Now
    Have had back problems for a very long time now and the dr has confirmed that I have Osteoarthritis in my spine.
    So sadly he told me there is nothing to fix it, sadly this is a degenerative disease and I'm on 28
    Also he said I have to 'slow down' and be careful at work and activities now! So sadly no running, power walking, cant swim cause it hurts my back - what else can I do guys?
    I'm a physically active (addict) person so what can I do now?

Thank in advance!

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry about your diagnosis. That stinks.
    My advice: Get your diet straight first. Eating a clean primal diet will lower your inflammation significantly and help a lot with pain levels. Just because OA is a degenerative disease doesn't mean it has to be a fast degeneration. You can slow it down a lot! (I'd venture to say maybe to a standstill.) Once your pain levels are less, start with walking, biking, swimming- something gentle and non-impact. I found this article on exercise that specifically mentions OA: Arthritis Diet: How to Prevent and Relieve Arthritis | Mark's Daily Apple This one as well. Take what you will from it: A Case Against Cardio (from a former mileage king) | Mark's Daily Apple. Best of luck!
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    You might also look for a well-experienced yoga teacher who has experience in OA and working in the back specifically. I have three clients with OA (one in the back).

And, swimming should be work-able once you get the pain managed.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pushme View Post
    Have had back problems for a very long time now and the dr has confirmed that I have Osteoarthritis in my spine.
    So sadly he told me there is nothing to fix it, sadly this is a degenerative disease and I'm on 28
    Also he said I have to 'slow down' and be careful at work and activities now! So sadly no running, power walking, cant swim cause it hurts my back - what else can I do guys?
    I'm a physically active (addict) person so what can I do now?

Thank in advance!
    Ron Rosedale – Healthy Bones | Me and My Diabetes

pushme is offline Junior Member
    Wow, thanks heaps for you guidance! I had a look at your links! Great information! Yes I am trying to sort my diet out first before I get back on the exercise wagon, must admit having a prob understanding the primal diet! :S

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    it's pretty basic, honestly. just start with the "start here" button on the site, and read.

lowen75 is offline Junior Member
    I'm sorry about your diagnosis. I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis when I was 28. I was devestated. For a while before I transitioned to the primal lifestyle I could barely get out of bed in the morning and I was convinced I was going to end up in a wheelchair. It was awful.

Are you eating primally? I agree with the other posters that you need to get your systemic inflammation down in order to ease the pain and start healing. The primal diet is anti-inflammatory by nature. I also eat a lot of fermented pro-biotic foods to keep my gut in check because, as I've learned, if your GI tract is not healthy it can create havoc and inflammation in your system.

Keep moving but concentrate on activities that are easy and soothing on your joints. I think zoebird is right. I've seen a lot of people in my yoga class that have had unbelievable releif and success from regular classes. A couple of them have even gone through vetebral fusion in their necks and backs and they are feeling much better and have a greater range of motion.
    Little Miss Sicky Poo
    http://www.littlemisssickypoo.com
    Ultimate health through primal living, fitness and natural healthcare alternatives.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    See a chiropractor and consider biomechanics when exercising (I like this book Amazon.com: Congruent Exercise: How To Make Weight Training Easier On Your Joints (9781467930413): Bill DeSimone: Books). I like modified resistance training in this instance as opposed to any sort of high impact activity (Body by Science would be a great approach). At least till the inflammation comes down. And obviously dial in the diet, that is vital as well.

Early signs of DDD can be reversed....its just the medical community doesn't have a pill to "fix" it, hence "sorry can't do anything for you" approach.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 05-04-2012 at 12:27 PM.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Cut out ALL grains - very inflammatory
    Experiment with the swimming - find which stroke does not hurt your back. What about walking in the water, deep water running (google it, done with a flotation belt round the waist) and aquarobics.
    A good treadmill and do walking on that - the suspended belt will cushion your bones somewhat.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Chatty is offline Senior Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast