Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Negative result after visit to the DR! Advice would be appriciated! page 2

thegreatgumbino is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Long time back pain sufferer here as well. I've tried a lot to get pain free. Remain skeptical of your diagnosis & hopeful that there's an answer for your situation. Chronic back pain can be depressing when you believe there's no hope. In addition to the Primal eating recommendation I'd add the following.

1) Get a second opinion!! I've had numerous bad experiences with Dr's telling me a condition was not treatable or there was nothing wrong and eventually found someone that can diagnose/treat or read something I can do to treat it.

2) Research the Gokhale Method. She's done amazing things with all kinds of people that have been told there's no hope for their back/neck pain. Her method has helped me tremendously. Specifically her book "8 Steps to a Pain Free Back". A lot of this book is available to view for free on Google Books. She also has a few good videos on Youtube that demonstrate the principles. Her basic theory is incorrect posture and is the root of most back pain

3) Myofascial / Trigger point therapy is amazing and has changed my life. Airrosti Therapy relieved 90% of my chronic back pain after two 1 hour sessions. I've since learned enough to do maintenance and some treatment on my own using a foam roller and some lacrosse balls in addition to the following book:

"The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief" is a great resource for those with chronic pain issues. A lot of this book is available to view for free on Google Books. Much of our pain is referred from trigger points in other areas of the body. I just pulled out my copy and found this:

Osteoarthritis is given the credit for much back pain, especially when it shows up on X-ray. The problem with a medical diagnosis of arthritis is that it shuts off all further inquiry and leaves you with painkillers as your only solution - and they are a poor solution to pain when trigger points are the cause. Back pain is banished by trigger point therapy a very high percentage of the time, even in the presence of "provable" arthritis. it's a a fact that osteoarthritis doesn't always cause pain. Active trigger points always do (1999, 925; Crow and Brodgon 1959, 97)
    From page 164 of the workbook.

4) Read up on proteolytic enzymes. I'm currently taking Wobenzyme N and Serrapeptase. Read good things about Vitalzym as well. These have replaced NSAIDs for me. I've had great results cutting inflammation and pain for my back.

5) I can't find it unfortunately, but there's a great post on the Starting Strength forum from a trainer about training and back pain/injuries and the ability to overcome them through proper lifting mechanics and resistance training. I'd love to do SS, but due to ruptured inner ear I have to avoid valsalva maneuvers, which led me to Body By Science. I'm a believer. Helped me regain my strength & stamina.

icz
    icz is offline Member
    I highly recommend Dr Sarno's work -- you can start with Mind Over Back Pain. Don't be put off by the title. . . It works.

PeacefulWarrior is offline Senior Member
    DJD or DDD is a form of arthritis that is progressive in nature.
    28 is young to have visible signs of it on x-ray.
    Normally, to see signs of that on x-ray at that age would likely mean (under normal circumstances) you are likely to have it progress further than the average person.
    In severe cases it can greatly affect your quality of life as you get older.

Now the good news...
    If you're only 28, I'd venture a guess that if there are signs of it on x-rays (by the way it is largely an x-ray dependent diagnosis, so I presume an x-ray series has been taken and read by a radiologist, correct?) it must still be relatively early in the process (a great sign for you).

The majority of the population over the age of 40 have some level of DJD/DDD. Many (maybe even most) of those people have no pain or symptoms at all.
    DDD by itself does not mean you are screwed (but considering your age I would take the appropriate steps to do something about it now; not when the degeneration has become more advanced).

I was diagnosed with a degenerative disc, with a disc bulge when I was only 21. I too was told I had to learn to live with it.
    As a matter of fact I was told that I had to avoid strenuous activity for the rest of my life or it was very likely my problems would become much more severe...

I'm now almost 44 yr's old. I haven't had back problems in a long, long time (15+ years).
    I just had full spine x-rays taken 2 months ago (I have x-rays taken of my spine every few years to ensure I do not have any degeneration occurring): I still have a slight curvature in my spine (very common) but according to the radiologist's report there is no degeneration in my spine at all (not even in the original area I had problems with when I was young).

Alignment matters. If you have a significantly misaligned vertebra, it will put more pressure on the corresponding part of the disc. If you increase pressure on anything (including a disc) beyond what is normal over a long period of time, it will wear out over time. That's simple common sense.

Finding a good chiropractor can be very difficult. Most people confuse 'good' with 'caring' or 'nice' or 'on their insurance panel'. Simply hearing a 'pop' from your spine does not mean anything.

It would be foolish to think this will affect your quality of life going forward. You are 100% in control.
    But, you better figure it out now, not when it progresses further. Also, do not make the mistake of thinking just because you are feeling better the process has stopped. The only way to know the process has stopped is to have periodic x-rays taken. In 2-3 years I would have comparative x-rays taken.
    "Your actions speak to me so loud, I can not hear a single word you are saying."

jammies is offline Senior Member
    New evidence is suggesting that osteoarthritis may be mediated by inflammation - just like autoimmune arthritis. I would focus on getting your diet very clean and making sure your vitamin D3 levels are normal.

Also - did you get checked for ankylosing spodylitis? It is an autoimmune disease that can damage the spine, escpecially the ileosacral joint.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    First off, fire your doctor!!! I personally have a client that was at stage 3 ostioperosis. She has an auto immune disease that was caused by a major car accident about 15 years ago. She broke her neck and had brain damage. She is now at stage 1. She is a success story and I believe that SFU is doing a study on her. She's lifting weights, she's doing yoga, she continues to be active!!!

Any doctor that tells you to stop moving to maintain your bone mass got his Phd from a cereal box. That's so completely ass backwards it boggles my mind.

paleo pika is offline Member
    "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief"

THIS.

Four years ago I herniated two discs (L3/L4, L4/L5) and the pain was acute. I had the steroid injections for about a year and they were amazing. Fast forward to this year and the pain came back but none of the injections were even touching it. The docs said sorry, nothing we can do, told me I had DDD and it was going to keep getting worse till I needed surgery. Then somebody on MDA mentioned this book, and subsequently I discovered it's actually myofacial pain syndrome and NOT the discs causing the pain and nerve compression. After just a week of treating the trigger points in my lumbar region I can actually handle sitting down. HOLY CRAP is it a big difference. I've also found a bunch of trigger points elsewhere that seem to be contributing.

That's 2 points for me and 0 for the doctors (they missed my Celiac's for 10 years too!)

snoops is offline Senior Member
    Great advice. I second the chiropractor, ditching the grains and the trigger point stuff. I also had great success with Airrosti for a shoulder problem.

sjmusic2 is offline Junior Member
    The Trigger Point Therapy book looks very interesting and I will be checking it out for sure - thanks for sharing

isbolick is offline Member
    I have a young friend who was very much in the same boat you are. She suffered from chronic back pain, was diagnosed with arthritis in her back and told she could no longer participate in triathlons or ride horses or rock climb. Needless to say, she is a VERY active person. She also cycles for fitness several times a week. She took her life apart and examined it and made changes and tweaks in her diet, the way she exercises, her bed, etc, and began seeing both a chiropractor and an acupuncturist. The only thing Western medicine had to offer her were pain pills and the advice to give up her active life before she even had a chance to really live it. She now still does everything she used to, in moderation, eats a VERY clean and healthy diet (she is one of the people who inspired me to change my life) and travels for a living. She does have days where her back hurts, don't get me wrong. But she is managing it.

I am sorry I can't be more specific, but I know that this doesn't have to be the end of your athletic life. For one thing, we ALL have arthritic changes. I have broken my back twice and I can bet that I have some stuff in there that would look pretty crusty on an x-ray. Someone mentioned changing your diet to reduce the inflammation in your system and that's a good place to start. I hope you find a path that works of for you. Good luck!
    Last edited by isbolick; 06-25-2012 at 01:35 PM.

JoeyA is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I don't know if this might be useful, but it might be something for you to look into.

I've been researching vitamin K2 and it is related to osteoporosis and joint health. I read something about it and rheumatoid arthritis (MK-4).

Maybe something to look into.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast