Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Bulletproof Rapid Fat Loss Protocol page 4

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    I'd rather eat real food than stuff my face with pills and coffee all day. Also, I'd rather spend the $200-300 on quality food than supplements.
    Last edited by Paleo0731; 08-05-2013 at 09:43 PM.

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    My experiments with BulletProof Coffee is that it makes me gain weight. The rapid fat loss protocol didn't produce any weight loss and I got insanely hungry. Reducing fat intake and carb cycling has worked a lot better for me.
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    I'm a big fan of BPC, but only drink it 3 or 4 days a week, in place of breaky. And always on my Crossfit days, which happens at 11am. Other than that, I (now)try to avoid reading whatever Dave Asprey's latest pitch is. You have to remember that this is a guy who spent a quarter million dollars on his own n=1. He's on his own planet. And he says not to eat black pepper. Insane.

I am a big fan of the Upgraded Collagen powder, and add it to my morning coffee every day. I have his whey protein, but bought it months ago and haven't tried it. The rest of his stuff is pretty unnecessary. You can also source your own wet processed beans. Any decent local roastery will be able to advise you on what to buy. But honestly, you can technically use whatever coffee you like.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

zsz101 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleo0731 View Post
    I'd rather eat real food than stuff my face with pills and coffee all day. Also, I'd rather spend the $200-300 on quality food than supplements.
    Agreed, 100%.

I read through the protocol, and at its core, it sounds like basic carb cycling.

In my honest opinion, I wouldn't worry about following something very specific like this. As quoted above, instead of spending money on supplements, put it towards buying high quality food. The more details and complexities a nutrition/fitness plan contains, the harder it is to remain consistent with that plan.

All it really comes down to is eating high quality, whole foods, strength training, walking all over the place, and sleeping like a bear.

Sure, you could experiment with carb cycling, and it would most likely yield more results, but in my experience, focusing on the basics will get you 90% of the way there.

ZZ

yaut is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I've read that post before. Here are my problems with it:

1.) An increase in dietary fat intake (except for MCT's) has zero impact on fatty acid oxidation. Consuming 100g of fat in a day will not make you burn more fat than consuming 0g of fat in a day. "Eat fat to burn fat" does not exist.

2.) When you consume protein, it increases the metabolic rate. When you consume carbohydrate, it increases the metabolic rate. When you consume fat (except MCT's) it does not increase the metabolic rate. High fat diets slow the metabolic rate overtime because you decrease protein and carbohydrate consumption, which increase the metabolic rate.

So, his idea is to basically starve yourself and drink liquid fat calories. This is a stupid idea because both carbohydrate and protein would both be better choices from a metabolic standpoint. Neither carbohydrate or protein are directly stored as fat and consumption of each supports the metabolic rate. Fat, on the other hand, is immediately stored as fat and does not increase the metabolic rate. He picked literally the least advantageous thing for you to do - drink refined liquid fat, the most fattening thing on Earth.

If the goal is to create a massive caloric deficit and only consume a few hundred calories in a day, you'd be better off doing steamed skinless chicken breast or boiled white potatoes for the same caloric total. Both will be more filling, more nutritious, more metabolically advantageous and just superior in every way to drinking refined, nutritionless fat.

That whole blog is an advertisement for snake oil. If you're interested in fast weight loss, Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss would be much more effective, much healthier and is actually thought through and is scientific. This is IMO sensationalist blogroll garbage meant to catch people's eyes by being edgy and flies in the face of CW. Of course, none of these things are sustainable, so I suggest you not go after any kind of quick fat loss solution and find a longterm lifestyle you can maintain.
    this sounds like fat fobia to me...
    After years and years of low fat or restricted fat diets I can finally let myself eat it. I love fat, I obsessed eating fat, I can eat nothing but fat, fat is the most filling thing, life without fat is not worth living...
    BUT it doesn't work for me when it comes to loosing my belly fat so I have to eat other stuff I don't really like, like chicken breasts and potatoes. crap.

I have a cup of bulletproof in the morning before hitting the weights in the gym. I spend an hour in the gym and feel great: full of energy, enjoy my workouts and when I get home I'm still not hungry. On the other hand: if I have a small breakfast or like today I only had a banana before the gym session, I feel absolutely wasted: half through workout I'm dying from hunger, feel tired, and the worst of all that my stomach contents is trying to get out all the time, leaving me with horrible heart burn that I normally almost never have... Bulletproof coffee is my favorite pre-workout "meal". I wouldn't have it on my days off. Now when it comes to fat loss I have to look at my other meals and try to do some magic there because these last 2-3kg of belly will never go away, and I'm dying to get rid of them!!!

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zsz101 View Post
    All it really comes down to is eating high quality, whole foods, strength training, walking all over the place, and sleeping like a bear.

Sure, you could experiment with carb cycling, and it would most likely yield more results, but in my experience, focusing on the basics will get you 90% of the way there.
    Just so you know, while this is true for many who are young, male, and still mostly healthy, it is not true for many others. Those basics did get me a good bit some wonderful health changes, but I could not lose any weight at all until I 100% eliminated wheat, then 50lb came off without any effort. Even then, I have had to resort to supplements that I swore I never would to conquer other issues, including chronic fatigue and severe relentless cravings.

We are broken in ways that generations before us have never experienced. I am at least the 6th generation to be raised on junk crap in my family (going back to Appalachian families trying to survive on cornbread and corn syrup at the turn of the last century). Just the basics has, sadly, not been enough for me.

yaut - do not engage ChocoTaco. He is a broken record.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yaut View Post
    Now when it comes to fat loss I have to look at my other meals and try to do some magic there because these last 2-3kg of belly will never go away, and I'm dying to get rid of them!!!
    This seems to be a very familiar refrain with folks that have lost weight on a low carb approach ... those last few pounds or kilos never come off. I have experienced the same thing. (see http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread91313.html ) From my experience, and from what I've seen from others on this forum, a higher fat / lower carb paleo will maintain you with a bit of chub. Carb cycling / lowering calories seems to be needed to start looking like something on the cover of a men's fitness magazine.
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yaut View Post
    this sounds like fat fobia to me...
    After years and years of low fat or restricted fat diets I can finally let myself eat it. I love fat, I obsessed eating fat, I can eat nothing but fat, fat is the most filling thing, life without fat is not worth living...
    BUT it doesn't work for me when it comes to loosing my belly fat so I have to eat other stuff I don't really like, like chicken breasts and potatoes. crap.
    So telling the truth about fat = fat phobia? Jeez. What Choco said is correct. And, in your case, if you're eating too much fat, you're probably eating over your daily energy expenditure, which equals no fat loss. You can't just eat as much fat as you want and lose weight unless you're eating under your maintenance caloric intake. There's no magic behind high fat, low carb diets.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Yes, actually, you can eat more than were and start losing weight if the foods are right for you. In my case, I dropped the tiny bit of wheat I was eating and dramatically increased my fat & protein, and started losing. No exercise at all. Lost 1/2lb/week for 2 years straight.

We're not just a CICO machine. Many things happen to those calories once they get inside you. They can trigger an urge to fidget more, trigger an urge to binge, trigger an urge to lie down for hours, trigger fat storage ... calories are information, not just energy.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Jennafun is offline Junior Member
    This is all very helpful information, thank you for your input. I think I will abort the Bulletproof fat loss protocol as of this eve. How much fat % should I eat to lose? Ketosis experiment netted a gain of 7lbs eating 100-150 g/day

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast