Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulletproof Rapid Fat Loss Protocol page 3

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I've decided to give this a try next week and see what sort of results I get. My concern is that I really won't be able to do CrossFit well whilst on such a restriction, but I've got a doctor's appointment which conflicts with one of my gym days next week so I'll most likely be going on Tuesday, just one day in.

Here is some pics from last week, as you can see, I have some stubborn man-boobage still going on that I would really like to get rid of:

and for reference, this is where I was at in 2008:

I'll post pics in a couple of weeks to see if there is any progress on the man-boob front.
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    I wasn't sprinting and this video is high intensity for 20 minutes, so I think it's what I needed. I did buy some MCT oil for my coffee, though.
    I have been doing the IF, with BC coffee for breakfast (I know some dont call it fasting, and I dont care what the label is but for lack of better one, that is what I call it) Anyways, I had fantastic weight loss last week!! Like 5 lbs after an almost complete stall in April (1 pound lost) and this week, probably another pound or two, BUT the point of my story as it relates to your post is that I realized last night what I did different this week from last week. Last week I did some Tabata on my elliptical (again my version, intense enough for me) I did it 2 or 3 times. So those short bursts are pretty much my only difference, that I can think of. So guess what I will be doing next week

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KestrelSF View Post
    So I've decided to give this a try next week and see what sort of results I get.
    I am curious your results. Keep us posted Best of luck to you.

merryish is offline Senior Member
    I don't do the rest of the protocol, but I do have bulletproof coffee for breakfast whenever I have time (because: YUM! - I add bunch of cinnamon and a couple of shakes of unsweetened cocoa), and I skip breakfast most days. When I hit a stall, I skip lunch, too. The fat loss has been pretty steady for me.

I'm not keen on all the supplements. There's a level of complexity to the interactions of all the different vitamins and minerals that I'm not sure we fully understand yet, so I feel like I'm being a better steward of my body by just rotating a variety of fruits and vegetables through my low-carb plan and supplementing the biggies like fish oil, vitamin D and magnesium.

Plus if it's true that our fat stores toxins to that extreme, I've got thirty years worth stored up; I imagine the sudden release of all of it would flatten me.
    Last edited by merryish; 05-12-2012 at 01:31 PM.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    So did anyone ever try this? I determined that if I ate anything but meat/fish/fat, I would bloat, and after a few weeks of deflating and losing the last few pounds to my goal, I felt great.

But ... then ... I bloated anyway. And gained 10lb of all water/bloating. And then ate one sweet potato and gained 3more lb of it. I'm tired of gaining, tired of not being able to eat carbohydrates, and think maybe this eating nothing but fat but having carbs on the weekend thing might help me.

Who knows; what I'm doing isn't working!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    This is also not intended for people who are already fairly lean (10-14% body fat).

I am going to agree and say that this clearly refers to MEN. Not women. I am a fairly lean female (under 25%bf) and have been on the most stubborn plateau for 3 years now. I tried Bulletproof coffee........ and I failed. It did nothing for me. The only thing that seems to work is counting calories. But even that is an epically slow slog, since at most I can get myself to maybe a 200-cal deficit a day. I usually just say eff it and give up and go back to maintenance before I even start seeing meaningful results.

Jennafun is offline Junior Member
    I just started this today as I too like MamaGrok... I'm wondering why I keep blowing up 10LBS when I eat carbs.

I'll post on my progress.

Starting weight - 132lbs/ estimated BF 27% per handheld device

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    It didn't work for me. I did it for 3 or 4 days and lost nothing at all.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    I've read that post before. Here are my problems with it:

1.) An increase in dietary fat intake (except for MCT's) has zero impact on fatty acid oxidation. Consuming 100g of fat in a day will not make you burn more fat than consuming 0g of fat in a day. "Eat fat to burn fat" does not exist.

2.) When you consume protein, it increases the metabolic rate. When you consume carbohydrate, it increases the metabolic rate. When you consume fat (except MCT's) it does not increase the metabolic rate. High fat diets slow the metabolic rate overtime because you decrease protein and carbohydrate consumption, which increase the metabolic rate.

So, his idea is to basically starve yourself and drink liquid fat calories. This is a stupid idea because both carbohydrate and protein would both be better choices from a metabolic standpoint. Neither carbohydrate or protein are directly stored as fat and consumption of each supports the metabolic rate. Fat, on the other hand, is immediately stored as fat and does not increase the metabolic rate. He picked literally the least advantageous thing for you to do - drink refined liquid fat, the most fattening thing on Earth.

If the goal is to create a massive caloric deficit and only consume a few hundred calories in a day, you'd be better off doing steamed skinless chicken breast or boiled white potatoes for the same caloric total. Both will be more filling, more nutritious, more metabolically advantageous and just superior in every way to drinking refined, nutritionless fat.

That whole blog is an advertisement for snake oil. If you're interested in fast weight loss, Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss would be much more effective, much healthier and is actually thought through and is scientific. This is IMO sensationalist blogroll garbage meant to catch people's eyes by being edgy and flies in the face of CW. Of course, none of these things are sustainable, so I suggest you not go after any kind of quick fat loss solution and find a longterm lifestyle you can maintain.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-05-2013 at 07:57 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I tried it.

5 lb gain. Lots of bloating. Feeling the want to eat but can only eat fat. Gym workouts are crappy big time.

The only awesome thing about this was that I got to drink buttered coffee, which was actually very delicious.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast