Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sweet Potatoes and weight loss page 3

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by primalswan View Post
    My box was about 2/3 yam and 1/3 sweet potato (white interior). You can browse through and find 100% yam ones though. I think the white ones make better baked fries since they are a bit firmer. If I just nuke or bake one to eat I prefer the orange ones too. I store mine in the pantry in a wire bin. My husband eats a whole one post workout every day, my kids split one with dinner most nights. I bought our box 10 days ago and it is about half done and no where close to rotting. I was paying about $2/lb at the local grocery store for organic, so it was a steal.
    I'm agnostic, when it comes to organic, vs. inorganic vegetables; sweet potatoes happen to be one of those. I did find a place where I get some at 59 cents/lb, but they're the smaller types, in terms of size (but varying lengths).
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMouse View Post
    You guys are lucky. For whatever reason, sweet potatoes aren't sold in bulk in Texas. Guess theres some sort of weird law...I dunno.
    Everything's weird in TX.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I guarantee in an energy deficit that you could eat nothing but sweet potatoes and you'd still lose weight. I'd like to see proof that sweet potatoes can be solely responsible for stopping weight loss... In a true deficit.
    Guess for me its just easier to tack this stuff on to take me OUT of deficit . Like today I had massive amounts of meat and eggs....couldn't eat another bite, BUT if someone had made some sweet potato fries I'm sure I could of found some room. Nothing against them. Just easy to indulge in even when I'm not really hungry. That would be the only reason to limit them at all IMO.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I think trying to identify foods that stop weightloss is ridiculous (with the exception of junk and foods you may have an allergy to). It can drive you nuts.I weigh myself daily and track foods.... and conclusions include: Ground beef alternately made me slow weight loss and triggered a loss. Beer made me bloat and made me lose a lb. I once ate a cupcake and saw no change on the scale, but a brownie bloated me 5 lbs for a week.

The one thing to consider- if youare eating for example, 1500 calories of low carb fat/veggie/protein and add in 250 calories of sweet potato without reducing calories, then you are eating 1750 calories and your loss may slow just due to that. I know people argue calories in/calories out... but this is probably why people gain when they add foods back in...

activia is offline Senior Member
    My fav are the ones that are white on the outside and inside... they only sell them at WF, and are organic, so they are $2lb
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    My fav are the ones that are white on the outside and inside... they only sell them at WF, and are organic, so they are $2lb
    Interesting, I've never seen those. Too back WF is so far away. Usually there is only one variety at my local grocery.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    Aw, sucks for you. I live in Bay Area, which is like Asia-town everywhere, and local farms grow them. I can get them for as cheap as 30 cents/lb for the Japanese yams and white yams. Purple yams are shipped here from Hawaii and Asia, though, so they're always $1.99/lb. Unfortunately those are my favorite =S

primalswan is offline Senior Member
    If you have a Target with a grocery they may carry the white variety. Mine does and they are .79 each. Conventional is probably fine if you are peeling them. I do my best to keep the "dirty dozen" organic and have found that by me anyways most organics are about the same price (and in some instance cheaper??) at my local Raleys.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I think trying to identify foods that stop weightloss is ridiculous (with the exception of junk and foods you may have an allergy to). It can drive you nuts.I weigh myself daily and track foods.... and conclusions include: Ground beef alternately made me slow weight loss and triggered a loss. Beer made me bloat and made me lose a lb. I once ate a cupcake and saw no change on the scale, but a brownie bloated me 5 lbs for a week.
    +1. There are so many other factors involved it's pretty much impossible to accurately single out some meal or other as a cause of weight gain or loss. It's just an exercise in confirmation bias.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

lardomuncher is offline Senior Member
    In my case sweet potato speeds it up

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast