Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Is yogurt Primal?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    46

    Is yogurt Primal?

    As yogurt is dairy, I'm thinking that it is not allowed. I've heard a lot about Greek yogurt lately and was wondering if that's OK?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    644
    If you can handle dairy, yogurt is wonderful (and PB acceptable). It is a "fermented" food rich in probiotics. If you can make it from raw milk, all the better! Just be sure the stuff you buy doesn't have added junk in it!
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakes View Post
    If you can handle dairy, yogurt is wonderful (and PB acceptable). It is a "fermented" food rich in probiotics. If you can make it from raw milk, all the better! Just be sure the stuff you buy doesn't have added junk in it!
    Could we be more specific?
    The label on my brand says:
    Cultured low-fat pasteurized milk, pectin. Contains live and active cultures.

    The nutrition label says 13g of sugars, which I assume is from the glucose in the milk.

    I am guessing I can do better (find a better yogurt) but am I even close to being primal with the yogurt I have?

    Thanks,
    PBNewby
    Last edited by PBNewby; 10-03-2012 at 08:03 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    388
    You only hear about Greek yogurt because people have a need to eat something that feels like a desert, instead of getting their tastebuds in touch with what their bodies really want-a good wolemilk yogurt from pasture fed cows that is minimally pasturized and unhomogenized. The two best yogurts that fit into this category are Hawthorne Valley and Erivan.

    Greek yogurt is not the healthiest form available. Straining the whey compromises beneficial immune boosting proteins from whey and probiotic content. For this reason, greek yogurt will not be as easy on the stomach.

    Also, always go for full fat!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by morganpmiller View Post
    You only hear about Greek yogurt because people have a need to eat something that feels like a desert, instead of getting their tastebuds in touch with what their bodies really want-a good wolemilk yogurt from pasture fed cows that is minimally pasturized and unhomogenized. The two best yogurts that fit into this category are Hawthorne Valley and Erivan.
    How about Seven Stars?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,102
    I hope so, because I just followed my breakfast of bacon with a bowl of full fat plain yogurt drizzled with local organic honey and topped with frozen blueberries.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

    There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

    DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    46
    thanks everyone. No greek but full fat plain yogurt for me.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by kmodell View Post
    As yogurt is dairy, I'm thinking that it is not allowed. I've heard a lot about Greek yogurt lately and was wondering if that's OK?
    If you make your own that is even better. This will get you on the right track and make you laugh and laugh and laugh at the same time. "Why and How to Make Yogurt: Another Deconstruction by the Mistresses of Mistakes [Kindle Edition]"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    416
    the sugar is more likely lactose

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by Bron View Post
    the sugar is more likely lactose
    Yeah, sorry, I meant the sugar in milk comes from glucose as opposed to fructose.
    Lactose is a disaccharide sugar that is found most notably in milk and is formed from galactose and glucose. (not fructose)

    PBNewby

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •