Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When you're expected to eat... page

bchanel is offline Member

When you're expected to eat...

Being a reporter is a tough job sometimes. I am invited to tons of things where there is free food. Sometimes I can manage. If I don't eat, people act offended, especially at smaller functions. Yesterday, I turned down a spaghetti lunch at an event I covered (and I love spaghetti). Today, I'm in the midst of a fast and a coworker just let me know there is pizza (from my fave pizza place in town, nonetheless) in the break room.

Do I want to look like the majority of the people that eat said food? No.

But, my coworkers often make snide remarks to me about what I'm eating or act offended because I don't want to partake in baby shower food or morning donuts. It may not help that I'm the youngest one in the office. The other women are a lot older than me and I work with a lot of men.

At events or banquets, people practically try to shove food down my face. They also act offended if I don't want to eat. They don't understand; it's not that I don't want to eat because the food looks great! It's because I don't want to eat that kind of food.

Same happens when I'm with family...but, anyways...

How do you handle these situations? I know food allergies can be life threatening for some people, so I don't want to feign an allergy. Plus, these people have seen me partake from time to time. It's just irritating. I don't understand why people care if you eat or not.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. -Mae West

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Small office environments can be frustrating, I didn't do well at the last one I worked at. You may consider playing the allergy card. Also, emphasize that you don't eat between meals. People will be offended but that's their problem.

bchanel is offline Member
    Edit: My editor just told me, "Go get some pizza! One slice won't hurt you!"

Ugh. Eyes on the prize I guess!
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. -Mae West

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    At my last job my boss brought in pizza and donuts almost every day, plus there were all kinds of snacks and flavored coffee-mate for the coffee. He was the kind of guy that I swear would break your kneecaps if you didn't partake. At the time I was not on this diet. I packed on a lot of weight working there. After a while I really didn't want it sometimes and would just lie and say I already had some when he came around ordering people to go get some donuts.

At the place where I work now, we have a weekly breakfast and I'll eat the egg/potato/sausage casseroles if someone brings that, but if it's just muffins and pastries I'll just grab a cup of coffee and say I forgot and already had a big breakfast at home. It's always true. When I eat the casseroles I'm just being a pig and having 2nd breakfast.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

13blessings is offline Member
    You could tell them that you feel you might be gluten sensitive and are trying to reduce those types of food for now? Most people won't argue with an argument that focuses on health and not weight loss.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I IF almost everyday and my eating window doesn't open until later in the afternoon. I used to go to a lot of lunch events and I'm having to turn them down left and right. We always have goodies too but people are used to me saying no to them so they don't even ask me anymore. I have told a few people that I'm trying to be healthier and am cutting back on gluten and sugar.

Good luck, that's frustrating!
    Primal since March 2011
    Fast-5ing since April 2011
    165/159/140

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 13blessings View Post
    You could tell them that you feel you might be gluten sensitive and are trying to reduce those types of food for now? Most people won't argue with an argument that focuses on health and not weight loss.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I IF almost everyday and my eating window doesn't open until later in the afternoon. I used to go to a lot of lunch events and I'm having to turn them down left and right. We always have goodies too but people are used to me saying no to them so they don't even ask me anymore. I have told a few people that I'm trying to be healthier and am cutting back on gluten and sugar.

Good luck, that's frustrating!
    I agree with this-- when health is the priority people support much more easily. Adding in something like "I think when I eat a balanced breakfast at home prior to work I tend to perform better and have more energy at the end of the day for interviews (or whatever you are doing)" is also a good idea, as it reinforces that not only is your decision good for you, but it also will help your company.

It took my work a while to get used to my dietary habits... I've been at the same place for almost 2 years... :P
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 13blessings View Post
    I totally agree!!! I usually say these foods just make me feel soooo crappy, which is true.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    I've started using "wheat doesn't like me." How can that be argued with? It's not an allergy, but it will have unplesant side effects. If they push, ask if they want details
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

finngirl71 is offline Member
    I just usually say... "oh, thanks... I just ate, and I'm not hungry at ALL!"

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The guys here at work used to give me crap, but now they just know I eat weird and have given up trying to convince me to eat their junk. I still get playful ribbing though.

I remember one conversation>

Supervisor: There are doughnuts out front.
    Me: Ok, thanks. (I didn't go get one.)

An hour later...
    Supervisor: There are doughnuts out front you know.
    Me: Yeah, I know. I don't want one.
    Supervisor: Oh go get one.
    Me: I don't want one.
    Supervisor: Go get one!
    Me: I don't WANT one. I don't eat wheat.
    Supervisor: GO GET A DOUGHNUT!
    Me: NO!

The end.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast